Accord Honda Sun Strip Decal

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by John Dickson, Tuesday 24th Jun, 2014.

1. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Been messing around on EBay (I know I shouldn't :lol: I'm new to EBay for this very reason) and found one of these which I like the look of although unfortunately they've not got a picture of it on a car yet.

My only concern is that from memory (which could well be incorrect) the wiper sweep on the 8th Generation is quite high up the windscreen so would be constantly crossing the vinyl strip whenever the wipers are on.

Has anyone fitted a similar strip and if so do they last ok or do the look raggy quickly because of the wipers going over them?

Cheers :Thumbup:

2. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

3. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    Do you not want one with "John" & "Wife" maybe in green with white writing

John Dickson likes this.
  4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It would have been better in white personally , but are these illegal in the UK? @PeteMM

5. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I think you can order one in white. It's someone in South Shields who makes them but that doesn't guarantee if it's legal though.

6. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I thought sun strips had been made illegal

7. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    If the wiper sweep touches them, they are illegal.

You are allowed an element of tint as a sun shade but it must not obstruct your view. It is also rare to find a modern car that doesn't have some form of faded strip across the top of the screen from the factory, but that is about the darkest you are allowed to put anything on the windscreen.

That sun strip reminds me of one I had on my first Civic. We placed a black vinyl strip across the top of the screen as I had removed the sun visors. on the passenger side we cut out the Honda logo about 30mm square then placed a bit if silver on the inside behind the logo. It almost made the logo 3D. Always liked that as it wasn't in your face and PC Plod never even saw it.

8. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I never knew these were illegal. Thanks for pointing this out - you learn something new every day!

I suppose that makes sense; if a stone chip is within the wiper sweep the car will fail MOT on obstructed view of the road. The 8th Generation wiper sweep (and 7th Generation IIRC) is right up to the top of the windscreen (keep meaning to double check but I keep forgetting).

Shame I quite liked this and the strip fits right over the factory tint band so the black one would be hardly visible except for the logo.

Knowing my luck the police would spot it.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The 7th Generation wiper sweep is near at the top of the windscreen so that rules out these even the 8th Generation is the same.

10. Mikey D Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

But then you could always buy a wiper an inch or two shorter... How would the police know it wasn't OEM size?

11. Mikey D Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Not that I'm suggesting it... Just always wondered how they governed the old "got to be clear of the wiper" rule.

12. Mikey D Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Anyone know what dapper is? I see a lot of cars at shows/photos/rolling around (usually followed by a trail of sparks) with a dapper decal in the windscreen. Anyone know what it is? Apart from an invitation to get pulled over? It came to mind following the obstruction of view comments above. Pic for ref.

Attached Files:

13. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    dapper is street slang for something that looks good, like with the lexus above someone might go "oh wow that lexi looks dapper yo, innit"

Mikey D likes this.
  14. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Think that would be a definite pull.....but having said that, I got pulled once for having OEM front fogs on by mistake (no warning light on dash for some reason) whilst the charvers were driving round with fluorescent tubes on under their cars, illuminated washer jets etc... all highly illegal but it was probably change of shift time so I was ideal candidate for last pull of the shift I suppose as a producer was the only paperwork they had to do....

15. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Good to know our taxes are paying for effective targetted crime prevention/reduction, or is it just meeting a target. :Lipsrsealed:

John Dickson likes this.