Off-Topic Honda to supply F1 engines to McLaren - Again!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by AccordCU2, Thursday 11th Oct, 2012.

1. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Re: Honda back in F1

I can see it happening soon, but if the yen keeps on appreciating then Honda will enter F1 to offset some of the cash from the balance sheet :Wink:

Subaru may be back in WRC too watch this space.

Last edited: Friday 14th Nov, 2014
  3. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Re: Honda back in F1

I watch with interest. It would be good to see them back.

4. RichT Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The BBC are claiming that McLaren will be using Honda engines in the 2015 F1 season.

BBC Sport - McLaren poised to switch to Honda engines for 2015 season

It would make sense if it allows them to re-use the technology in their road-going cars.

5. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Honda are to supply F1 engines to McLaren in 2015.

BBC Sport - McLaren poised to switch to Honda engines for 2015 season

It was widely known that, with Mercedes developing their own turbo engine for 2014, McLaren weren't happy with the position they were being put in. With the Mercedes F1 team now pumping money into building a championship winning car Mercedes will hold all the best and latest engine developments for their in house team. This would relegate to McLaren to 'customer' status and would mean them running inferior engines to the Mercedes team.

It's a drastic move by McLaren but an understandable one from a team which still has it's eyes on championship titles.

Honda seems to have been drawn back into the sport by the use and development of the energy recovery systems which will be used on the new turbo engines.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Will be good to see Honda engineering back in F1. Should never have left.

7. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Well I think we can all agree pulling out at the end of 2008 was possibly one of their biggest mistakes.:Foolish:

I've seen some specs on the Mercedes engine for 2014, they've basically eliminated turbo lag. It will be interesting to see that technology develop onto road cars.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It's the news I have been waiting for a couple of years and knew theses conversations were talking place and am :Happy:at the prospect with Honda bring back on the grid.

9. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    When Williams had Honda engines nothing could beat them. The same could happen to McLaren. Hope so.

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    McLaren and Honda had four championship bud that were rampant too 1988, 1989, 1990, 1991 four years in row!

With Williams just two 1986 and 1987 victories

6 years of total Honda domination, its did annoy Enzo Ferrari no end.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    off wiki the William FW11 Honda 1.5 Litre V6 turbo engine, the most powerful in F1 at the time producing 800 BHP at 12,000rpm and well over 1,000 BHP in qualifying.

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Yooo 1000 BHP from 1.5 litres !!

666 odd BHP per litre, crazy !

13. BanditSid Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nigel Mansell said in an interview that he was driving one of these cars in qualifying and was getting wheel spin in 5th gear, the engine was so powerful.....they were boosted heavily for the short qualifying sessions, then pretty much binned straight after.

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The days of Brute Honda horsepower I say get Nobuhiko Kawamoto back or we need this type of leadership at Honda, under his leadership Honda was epic .That era was the golden years to me.

Nobuhiko Kawamoto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Being outspoken he was removed from the post.. typical..