Dealers/Garages Honda UK launching a new servicing scheme shortly.

Discussion in 'Dealers, Garages & Body Shops' started by Ichiban, Wednesday 1st May, 2013.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have just seen a sneak preview of a new campaign by Honda to make servicing more affordable and more transparent to its customers. The use of drop down options of what needs doing and what does not makes the customer more engaged to the servicing process. Another interesting feature its like a shopping cart system where the price is clearly displayed and moves with additions and subtraction of selected choices.

more information to be revealed on the day of it launch. Exciting times :Wink:

Sadsack likes this.
  2. Racy Jace Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

If the servicing was cheaper maybe more people would get it done more often and start collecting those stamps as though they were at Nandos. Get 10 stamps = new set of wheels :Rolf:

intruder likes this.
  3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Sounds interesting but what i want to see is something where there is proof that work has been done. Even if its a webcam over each bay that can be played back.

Sadsack likes this.
  4. MAL Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hmm. If you can't trust your dealer, sounds like your going to the wrong dealer!

Sadsack likes this.
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Bang on !! Another reason why Germans believe in this ploy to make their extortionate servicing more believable.

6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    x3 main Honda dealers and also a major independent dealer all appear to have provided substandard work on my cars and my brothers Honda also so i am lacking with the old trust. I do have a small independent garage who i trust to do work but worried about using the right fluids but i am very much like if you want it done right then do it yourself.

7. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Interesting.

When is this launched CJ?

Reason I ask is because I will obviously want a service package with my new CR-V - just wondering whether its worth buying the existing £399 for 4 years thats on on offer now or waiting for the new plan(s) - not that the CR-V will need anything major doing mechanically - its a bombproof Honda afterall.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I here you Articfire .

Scotland has for a number of year had very poor (Service) dealer franchise this is not uncommon they do have a issue up North. However your independent will not have the the resources available which are found at Honda dealers.

9. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Blade Honda have a similar system, all online. Its aimed primarily at cars out of warranty. I've found it works well.

Honda Online Service Booking

10. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Oh great :Sobbing:but hopefully they'll sort things out as I really would prefer to use a main dealer. What kind of resources are we talking about? The garage I'm using seem to be fairly well equipped as he looks after my brother's Honda Civic (new shape), my dad's Honda Accord MkVI and my uncle's Volvo S40 (ironically, I think my uncle trained the guy who owns it so if he trusts him then...lol)

- - - Updated - - -

I can now add my in-laws to the Honda list, who just bought a 2006 Honda Jazz with 30,000 miles and full Honda Dealer Service History (it's one of the x3 Honda Dealers I've mentioned above) from Central Car Auctions. I think they paid just over £3K for it which I think is a little too much considering it's from the auction, but if the mileage is genuine then I guess it's not too bad.

In-laws don't know anything about cars at all so I had a very quick check over it and found the following:

- The oil looks new but is well over the maximum mark by about the same amount as would be between the min and max mark (is that about 1 litre?)
    - Air Filter is absolutely disgusting. Four clips and a 10 sec job to change so why this hasn't been done is beyond me
    - Never got around to the pollen filter but would bet my car that it's just as bad as the air filter
    - Front tyres at 20psi instead of 32psi
    - Forgot to check the brake fluid but she said the brakes were very good (although she did come from a Micra)
    - Front carpet under accelerator pedal badly worn through but gear stick, steering wheel etc all look good so could this car be clocked?
    - Plenty left on all the pads
    - Rust starting to form under the rear wheel arches - just surface rust at the moment

The rest of the car is in good condition though and I love folding mirrors (wish mine had it). Engine starts cleanly within two turns and is nice 'n' quiet.

So it looks like the usual shoddy standard of servicing from a Honda Main Dealer up here with regard to the oil level and air filter (and probably pollen filter) but fortunately that and the other stuff which isn't the dealers fault are all easily fixed. It's a shame because their parts department are brilliant.

This same dealer wrecked my 6th Generation Accord because whatever they did when washing it afterwards I got it back with half the clear coat peeling off the rear bumper and a gigantic nail in the tyre and a rather loud noise coming from the engine bay after they did the timing belt. The denied it all of course so I never went back.

Whilst on the subject of main dealers, the other main dealer here in Glasgow who did my brothers Civic (diesel) never did the air filter, pollen filter, fuel filter and they believe the oil filter wasn't changed either in the whole time it was being serviced there - and these were the same guys he bought the car from.

The independent dealer who did my previous car (diesel) never did the fuel filter and I caught them out because they demanded that I prove my accusation - so I showed them the rust on the fuel filter! They also scraped my rear door and tried to deny it. When I pushed harder they tried to buff it out and ended up burning through the paintwork and making it worse.

Finally, the main Honda Dealer in England who was servicing my current Accord before I got it wasn't doing the pollen filter and as anyone who has followed some of my posts know, there's bolts missing from various parts behind the centre console including the crucial security bolts for the SatNav and bolts holding some computer unit in place - it was loose and moving about.

So unfortunately, both Honda and large independent dealers have some way to go before they gain my trust back but I'm not going to adopt a NAïve outlook and think that all the main Honda Dealers are like that. HH appear to have a solid reputation, it's shame they aren't in Glasgow! lol :Smile:

Aty01 and Sadsack like this.
  11. Sadsack Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mo Cheshire
    This new Honda servicing campaign sounds interesting. Can't wait to see it when it is released.

I too have had some shady servicing in past. In the first 3 years I had my Accord I took it to one specific Honda dealer. Despite at one service having asked specifically to make sure they changed the air filter, I got home to find not done! Was not happy as you can imagine. Started giving me some story that I will not go in to. And at another dealer, I found out recently that after 5 years i don't think the air filter was ever changed!

Anyway, now I'm going to HH much happier :Smile:

12. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Telford
    Wow, I didn't realise there was so much unhappiness with servicing undertaken by Honda dealerships.
    I , on the other hand , have been very lucky using my local dealership in Telford. They always seem to perform their tasks to the highest standards and the servicing plan seems to work for me.
    On saying all this, I think back to the sixties and seventies when servicing meant actually doing something for the money!
    When I used to service cars it would include air filter change, points, plugs ( change when necessary- clean and check gaps) , engine oil change ( with new filter each time), check and top up other fluids including hydraulic oils, windscreen wash. It would also include checking the brake adjustment ( foot and handbrake), clutch travel, check wiper blades and tyre pressures, adjusting as necessary of course .
    A quick clean around the engine bay and a Hoover out and the service was complete.
    When you look at today's servicing schedule the majority of it is for checks. Things like adjusting the handbrake are classed as extras and charged for.
    It's called progress?!
    Oops I forgot to mention greasing ball joints, propshafts, king pins etc
    Mike c

Last edited: Friday 3rd May, 2013
  13. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    its a case of the minority give the majority a bad name ime affraid! i service all the cars i work on to the full honda standard and more! and so do my work mates at Holdcroft honda. of course the vast majority of users on this forum are very clued up about there cars and expect only the best. i think that is a very good thing. i try to give all customers as much value for money as i can with there service. make no bones about it main dealer servcing is not cheep compared to an independant but where else can you get a technition to work on your car that has spent thousands of hours of training and experiance working on your pride and joy.

- - - Updated - - -

Mike..........handbrake adjustment arnt extras with honda. technicaly according to the 12,500 schedule it is not adjusted every service but i can speak for HH and say we adjust them every service regardless of what it is due at no extra cost.

Ichiban likes this.
  14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Well said mate :Hey:

15. Mike c Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mike Telford
    I think that things like handbrake adjustment should be undertaken whenever it is necessary as part of the safety checks undertaken regardless of what the car is in the dealership for . I know that I have heard of cases where the customer has been advised that adjustment is required- not done automatically as you have mentioned. I must stress that I am NOT referring to HH in these cases. I am pleased to hear that HH does the adjustment without referring to the customer.
    From my own perspective I am normally aware when the brakes need adjustment and ask my dealership to undertake this action. It is a pity that all garages are not so proactive.
    Regards
    Mike c

16. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  17. deano24v Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

kent
    Just phoned them for a quote on my accord 75k service,good job I was sitting down :Grin:

608 quid!!!! Safe to say that ain't happening.

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    good to see the new system is working well then , surprised the dealer hasn't looked at the information closely.

BTW a lot of southern England dealer have refused to sign up to this sale initiative ..sighting lower revenues more like greed to me, when you compared 95% of North England dealers have agree to it.:Thumbup:

What does that tell you Southern England is a rip off, and some people are hell bent in keeping it that way.