Off-Topic Honda vs Gawker

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by legend-ary, Thursday 28th Jan, 2016.

1. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Honda's Lawyers Want Us To Dox One Of Our Readers; We Said Hell No
    Looks like someone who claimed to be from Honda R&D leaked internal issues with the NSX and new Honda turbo engines in the comments section of various posts. Honda kind of confirmed that this info was true by getting lawyers involved and asking Gawker to delete the posts and hand over the account owner's details.. that is kind of irrelevant.. what I find interesting are the apparent issues as reported by whoever this guy was..

NSX and the standard Continental tyres which every reviewer says are rubbish:
    Believe me, I’m in the same boat with you here. But, it is actually finished now. We just completed “Track Mode” heat resistance/durability testing 2 weeks ago, which is the first time any Honda product had a Track Mode test.
    So, not only did we have to design a new test mode for insane heat generation (drove the car balls out in at Sebring in hot weather, immediately stopping the vehicle and turning it off to allow intense heat soak, etc.), we then had to get all the temps on the individual components to meet our own requirements. (Fun trivia: someone’s phone melted in the trunk, which set us back a bit. No one wants their frozen food well done by the time they get home from the grocery store.)
    Also, every car review calling out the Continental tires is spot on. They are garbage. I, and anyone else at Honda, is mad they’re even an option. But when you see how many new Hondas have Continentals as OE, you know there’s some fishiness going on.
    But it is very fast off the line, the engine sounds like the apocalypse (thanks Cosworth), and by God, in person, it is gorgeous. The updated Red paint and the Blue are gorgeous choices for that car. (Not the deep red from concept photos, it’s got a bit of orange in it now and it is fantastic.)
    Source: Do I really need to tell you where I work?

2017 USA Spec Civic Type-R's Engine
    Depending on the accuracy of the photo, looks like there will be an immense oil leak at the valve cover and timing chain case...

But honestly, all of the new turbo engines by Honda, from the base Civic to the NSX to the next RDX, have an “issue” with the studs on the cat either backing out of the head or snapping altogether. Even cars just broken in with 500 miles on the clock.
    But it’s a Honda. It’ll survive nuclear blasts with all the cockroaches.
    fxujvo1cwjr00qwvpppl.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Whoever it is, is clearly in breach of company policy. The issues highlighted aren't anything major though, so I'm not sure why Honda took such drastic action, perhaps they wanted to make an example of this person and to stop others leaking out company info.

3. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

yeah that is what I thought too. Being in R&D he must have signed NDA and what not. Publicly naming the issues, I don't know what he expected to happen. Gawker themselves are the same people who bought the stolen iPhone 4 and released it to public and got sued to hell by Apple so they feed on other's misfortune.

4. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Oooopppss !

legend-ary likes this.
  6. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Pretty poor showing from Honda, just go back to n/a VTEC :professor:I have some reservations over how reliable these new turbo engines will be, certainly won't be bombproof like the old n/a engines which will go on and on even when neglected.

7. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

But this is the NA 2.0 that has issues not the 1.5 Turbo. 1.0 Civic will be coming to UK soon.. only time will tell how reliable they will be in long term once the warranty finishes.
    First drive: Honda Civic 1.0-litre turbo | Top Gear

8. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    ^ Oh dear well I guess that makes it worse, the phrase "they don't make them like they used to" is probably apt here.