General How bad is the Nissan qashqia

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Denso23, Monday 3rd Oct, 2016.

1. Denso23 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Denso23 London
    Just went to have a look at the Nissan quasqai . Just curious why they are so many on the road?

I have to say I'm unimpressed with the build quality of the machine. Has no sense of longevity to the car. The engine dipstick is built into the oil filter cap. What is that all about!!

It feels like a toy car - don't understand why every fool my way is buying them. There are like 4'outside my flat - including bright yellow one:Whistle:

2. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    They do crash well however....

I wouldn't buy one however

DrSam likes this.
  3. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

People buy them because the motoring press tell them that they're the best small SUV you can buy. What Car SUV of the year a few times, and they always praise the build quality especially!

2016 Nissan Qashqai review | What Car?

Personally I think they're ok, but not as good as my CR-V or the HR-V. Or the Mazda 3 or 5. Or the Ford Kuga.
    - - - Updated - - -
    What Car? Car of the Year Awards 2014 - What Car?

DrSam likes this.
  4. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    A family member bought a brand new one, after 1 month (2 weeks of which they were away on holiday) realised they had made a terrible mistake and traded it in for a fiesta

DrSam likes this.
  5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

6. Nighthawk Guest

Nissan is in the cheap build quality range of the Japanese cars however would still be more reliable than any german counterpart and won't ever leave you on the side of the road. Its just built to a cost and it shows.

DrSam likes this.
  7. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

They usually have a really great spec for not a lot of money. On paper they are a really good buy (and probably are whilst covered by a warranty).

Renault build quality with a Japanese reputation.

exec likes this.
  8. DrSam Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    Personally I don't like it, it's not to my taste.
    Plus I don't like the fact that Nissan and Renault have combined, since then I believe the vehicle design went a bit upside down.
    Nissan should have stayed as Nissan as they have some wicked cars like the old school hot hatch Plusars GTI-R and the all famous Skyline R34 which stared in Fast & Furious.

Last edited: Monday 3rd Oct, 2016
    BB Baboonface likes this.
  9. Nighthawk Guest

The R34? That was the one in Fast and Furious. Great car.

In fact, in the 80s and 90s, all the Japanese manufacturers had a decent performance car to offer at some stage, all of which even today are still fantastic cars

BB Baboonface and DrSam like this.
  10. Nighthawk Guest

That Suka or whatever her movie name is in that pink S2000 is incredibly ugly. They could have found a prettier driver. I love watching how many times these cars change gears on what must be the longest ever straight. That R34 changes gears around 7 times and is only doing 80 mph. Those cars clearly have gearboxes like 18 wheelers - they never run out.

DrSam and BB Baboonface like this.
  11. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom James Chesterfield
    Oh well, let the majority be told what to buy, then we can secretly enjoy the JDM goodness!

Was pretty surprised to hear that Toyota and BMW plan to platform share with the new Supra and BMW Z, then even more so to read that engine development was in the hands of BMW. Some folk even suggesting that this would be of benefit to Toyota as if they might be able to learn a thing or two :Ermm:

Of course! Because Toyota never really managed to build any legendary power plant of their own... Hmmmn! :Wassat:

John Dickson, Nighthawk and DrSam like this.
  12. Nighthawk Guest

The good ol days are gone to be honest, everyone is in bed with each other now and as much as I grew up with Toyotas and developed my love of cars from them, they lost the plot at the beginning of the century and started building cars to a budget. The 4A-GE engine from Toyota was one of the highest performing 1600cc engines of its time, as was the 3JZ 3 ltr beast too. Honda offered some amazing engines too, the D16A9 was a competitor for the 4A-GE and Mazda had fantastic offerings like the Wankel engine. Nissan had some really good cars, the 2.6 ltr straight 6 twin turbo in that R34 was an absolute gem as was the Silvia S15 too. I appreciate that there are certain people who are closed minded and think that only Honda made decent cars, but it was a pretty even playing field back then.

exec, DrSam and BB Baboonface like this.
  13. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Fantasies about a project car opened my eyes to many of the achievements made by other marques. Would still be keeping the EV going though, Honda motors have that soulful engaging quality about them.
    Maybe uninformed opinion on my part, but that soul is likely something that a Renault/Nissan mass market model would never achieve.

exec, Nighthawk and DrSam like this.
  14. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    The Qashqai is a very very good car, coupled with great deals makes it a popular buy, same with the Juke. Nissan know what the market wants, crossovers are the hype, they got in at the right time, set the benchmark and have hit jackpot, fair play to them. I wouldn't want myself as it's shared platform with Renault.

Well if Renault had not bought them there would be no Nissan, they were in financial trouble and Renault saved their asses.

All the great power-plants in the great Toyota's were actually heavily Yamaha engineered. Platform sharing means naturally both will contribute, Toyota will probably handle the electric/hybrid side of things. Let's not forget the Gt86\BRZ, all the technical development, engine was done by Subaru, who simply have better engineering expertise, even then they were stifled by the suited booted crew of Toyota.

Nighthawk, BB Baboonface and DrSam like this.
  15. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    2JZ!? Or was that sarcasm ;D

16. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Haha! Yeah, a spot of sarcasm! :Smile:

legend-ary likes this.
  17. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    If there is one motor than can give an RB26 a run for its money it's the legendary 2JZ... I am not going to post any video but whoever wants to see what this monster is search for TopSecret Supra UK. Lol ;D

18. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Indeed, Yamaha engineered cylinder heads seem to have frequented the best Toyota efforts, shame Nissan needed Renault to bail them out considering their capability, more signs of the miseducation of the majority of the car buying public perhaps?
    - - - Updated - - -
    Old Smokey? Mad as MDF toast :Smile:

May be the 1GZTT V12 i'm thinking of though. Still, plenty of video evidence of Supra badassness!

DrSam likes this.
  19. Nighthawk Guest

Yamaha has been in bed with Toyota for many years. Its well known on this site of my love for Supra's - they are fantastic vehicles and have an amazing amount of soul behind them. The 2JZGTE16 is an amazing engine which, even stock, will still kick the majority of todays cars to dust. A car with technical design to take on cars 25+ years on and beat them is a testiment to Toyota back in the days when they used to build proper cars unlike their recent incarnations. Even the JZA70, which was the model before hand, was brilliant for its time.

As time, and health and safety has stuck their noses in, cars that show just raw power, regardless of manufacturer are becoming a thing of the past. By the time the next generation grows up, all the greats of our era will be gone and the throb of a true classic will be gone.

20. BB Baboonface Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

@Nighthawk Definitely admire your passion for the lost greatness and empathise with it completely.
    There are exceptions, but that soul we mention is slowly being lost as cars develop.