Fuel Efficiency How Do I Put TSO In My Tank

Discussion in '4th Generation (2013-2017)' started by Robbie, Wednesday 27th Mar, 2013.

1. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    I bought a bottle of Carlube to put in my tank, but it's impossible to get past the black plastic cover at the top of the filler. When you put the diesel nozzle into the filler the plastic cover opens. I tried using a funnel but it has defeated me. Does anyone know how?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  3. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    yep that will do it

or blue peter version take a plastic coke bottle or the like cut it and use as funnel works just as well just don't cut it too short :Smile:

4. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    Neither of those will do. I used a big funnel but it won't go past the plastic bit at the opening. I think there is some sort of arrangement around the sides of the filler that opens when the fuel nozzle is inserted. I think I need something the same diameter as the nozzle on a diesel pump.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Strange must be a clever anti syphon system. Out of curiosity which carlube bottle did you use as I can locate anything for TSO?

6. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    It's Carlube 2-Stroke Motorcycle oil XL and it is red in colour. £2.00 for 500ml at Morrisons.

Toggerefc likes this.
  7. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I'm a regular user of the 2 stroke in diesel. I just use the neck off a large funnel. Sounds like you have an anti-tamper device on your tank.

I've used the carlube 2T before and was happy with the result but struggle to find anywhere to get it. £2 for 500ml isn't too bad, might pay Morrisons a visit.

8. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    I had no problem putting Millers into my Accord as there was no obstruction at the top of the filler. I think this "obstruction" is to prevent petrol being used. Is the petrol nozzle thinner than the diesel?

9. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I think the diesel nozzle is thinner than the diesel. Hence the device on your filler allows a diesel nozzle to fit in but is too small for the petrol nozzle.

10. RichT Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The diesel nozzle is definitely wider than the petrol one.

I thought that the wider diesel nozzle has to engage on something either side in the filler neck, which opens a flap lower down to let the fuel in?

The narrower petrol nozzle would not be able to engage both sides and the internal flap would not open.

Here is a shot of the filler in my CR-V

IMG_1171.

At the bottom you can see the lighter coloured flap. In front of that is a collar consisting of a number of tabs. I think the diesel nozzle has to spread the tabs outwards to make the lower flap open. A narrower petrol nozzle wouldn't be able to do this.

To add the 2stroke oil you would need a funnel that had the same cross section as a diesel pump nozzle.

Last edited: Friday 29th Mar, 2013
  11. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    That's the reason I can't access the filler. Perhaps a piece of thick copper pipe pressing on the edge of the filler might do it.

12. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    My mistake the diesel nozzle is wider than the petrol.

There are after market devices which you have described that screw into the original thread. Lings website does't show such a device in their fuel tank diagram. Is the device on your car a Honda part or an after market part? Can you see a way to remove it?

Edit: Just seen you photo of the filler.

Last edited: Friday 29th Mar, 2013
  13. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    The device is a standard fitment on the new CR-V.

14. Accord2005 New Member Getting Started

Robbie,
    I just read in the Wiki section on this forum (very informative) for the 4th Generation CR-V and there is a filling funned next to the jack in the boot of your car. This would normally be used to fill using a portable fuel can as it open the flap in the neck of the filler tube.

Quote:
    Q: I have run out of Diesel I know I should have refuelled.. what do I do ?

A: If you need to refuel with a non-standard diesel filler nozzle or from a portable fuel container, use the funnel (A) located in the spare wheel well. Remove the funnel (A) from the case (B) and insert it in the filler neck.

Guides - FAQ & Faults

Hope this helps!

Cheers

Jon

15. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    I thought I had posted about this. I spoke to my dealer who told me about the funnel fitted with the jack. The only problem is that when I was putting TSO in the tank it leaked out of it. Not sure how it would be if putting diesel in from a can.

16. Toggerefc Premium Member Club Supporter

Interesting read. This car lube stuff what is the purpose of mixing with your diesal. Does it act as some form of lubricant. Could it affect any filtration system on the car. Any more info would be great thanks. :Thumbup:

17. MikeM-271048 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Italy Mike Bruno
    FirstHonda, Zebster and Toggerefc like this.
  18. Toggerefc Premium Member Club Supporter

Cheers Mike. Surely if the engine was designed to use diesal fuel only. What would you gain by adding oil to the fuel. I'll look into it. Don't really want to add anything to the fuel without HONDA recommending it. :Thumbup:

FirstHonda likes this.
  19. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Honda don't recommend any additives.

FirstHonda and Toggerefc like this.
  20. Toggerefc Premium Member Club Supporter