Suspension, Steering and Brakes How do I slightly tighten handbrake ?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by RogerH69, Friday 17th Oct, 2014.

1. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    My hand brake seems to work fine when pulled all the way up, but there is a fai amount of travel in it, and it's a little too high for the armrest I installed. I saw some guide on here on how to adjust the hand brake using the tightening screw under the hand brake trim. Would this apply to the EV1 as well ? All I want to do is to tighten the cable a touch so that it doesn't travel so high (i.e. one or two clicks less).

Do I need to do the whole process of jacking car up and ensuring brakes don't drag on wheels while I adjust, or is that not necessary if I'm just adjusting a couple of clicks ?

2. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    @Ichiban would you have a diagram for this at all?

3. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    A quick google search seems to show its the same design as the Accords to adjust. Pull up the centre console, and tighten up the nut as per the DIY. Shouldnt need to jack the car up when just tightening up the cable from inside the vehicle at all.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
  5. Nighthawk Guest

Of course I do....:Grin:

As you have already changed your centre console, you should have been right there by the cable adjustment anyway. Clockwise tightens it, anti clockwise loosens it.

6. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    Thanks. I saw that article already (and a couple of EP3 threads on Google), and was going to follow that. Just posted this thread to see if there's anything special to be aware of for the '04 Civic. Of course, I'll write something up for the Civic with some (badly taken) pictures. probably on do it on Saturday afternoon / Sunday (depending on weather) as Saturday morning she's going in for a full valet, leather treatment and engine clean. I noticed some stains on the front passenger seat from where the rain came in when that %$^%$^£%$^ broke my window, so will get that cleaned out as well.

Changed the center console ? eh ? I've seen inside the center console on the dash when getting the stereo fitted (AND was brave enough to open it again myself to fit my gear knob). Haven't touched the console around the hand brake. If you're referring to the armrest i installed, that goes on top of the existing console trim behind the hand brake.

7. Nighthawk Guest

Ok, my apologies then for my misunderstanding of what you had disassembled. If you remove the console trim, the adjustment should be underneath that.