General How do you drive your VTEC?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Dan, Thursday 10th Mar, 2016.

1. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Dan Oldbury
    Hi all,

Just interested in how you guys drive your VTECs? Do you go up to the VTEC zone much? I've had my car since December and I haven't VTEC'd it yet :Blushing:

I did decide to do it one day on a motorway slip road in 3rd. I was above the speed limit before the VTEC zone and so I didn't do it. So I think it would have to be 2nd or even 1st (!), but the engine would surely be screaming in those gears?

I'd also be concerned about something blowing up lol, as I bet its not often that the engine would have been up at those revs. Without being sure its all running absolutely perfectly (EG the valve clearances for example, or me knowing my clutch could do with replacing), then it could be a risk?

Just thought it might be an interesting discussion.

Dan

2. jimjams Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom nobody zoned
    My car also has the K24 (body/engine designation = CM2). I used to regularly reach the rev limit in each gear, but not so much these days. If the map in your engine is stock, it doesn't happen until 6k RPM and it doesn't sound that much different either because there is a very smooth change (in fact you hardly notice).

Also, and let's say I know from doing this in Germany, as you go up in the gears, the rev limiter is much more gentle. Indeed, at the rev limit in 5th (140 mph on the speedo) it is very gentle indeed. This is as a natural consequence of higher gearing, because the rate-of-change of RPM in higher gears is slower.

3. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

I use my vetch once or twice a week minimum, usually for overtaking the 40mph club drivers (you know the ones 40mph everywhere regardless of the speed limits). Don't worry, Honda engineers knew what they were doing and it is designed to be revved up to 7-8KRPM with no risk to the internals. Just make sure its topped up with good oil and its fine.
    I have had my car for 3 years and clocked up 40K so far with regular Vtech use.
    It is easy to go over the speed limits. Just be mindful when accelerating ;-)

2nd gear is best and the engine sounds so nice when its up in the plus 6Krpm region. Its where all the real power is. I have embarrassed many fast diesel cars with the Vtech power band since they are changing gear when the Vtech is just getting warmed up....

4. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

As stated above do not be afraid to rev your engine ... its what it was built designed to do. A few scalps per week help keep the engine working well. All the years that i have owned VTEC engines NEVER had an issue due to being over worked or stressed and Im sure other owners will agree.

Key thing is to just look after your engine and when giving it the beans be mindful of oil etc ... you just need to get into the mindset of checking this type of thing more regularly!

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Honda engines LOVE being revved !

Just don't go bouncing off the rev limiter, asides from that VTEC away !

legend-ary likes this.
  6. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

limiter is there for a reason ... the odd hit has never caused me any issues. :Smile:

legend-ary likes this.
  7. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    Next time you VTEC make sure to record it for our ears :Wink: :dribble:

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Ouch ! Hearing that the engineer inside of me is having a fit !

The rev limiter is there to stop you blowing your engine to smithereens.

As you approach the rev limiter the engines probably outputting 200+ lb ft of torque. When you hit the limiter, the ECU cuts the injectors, engine losing some revs, so ECU kicks the injectors back in. This on-off, in-off of the injectors will continue until you ease off the accelerator.

What is happening during this on-off, on-off is that your going from 0 torque to 200+ lb ft of torque and in affect turning your car into a big impact gun.

What is being "impacted" is everything in the engine and drive train.

THAT is not good for your car.
    So don't take hitting your rev limiter so lightly man.

Nighthawk likes this.
  9. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

LOL ... you are reading too much into what i said :Smile:

of course the limiter is there for a reason and best to avoid it ... but occasionally you may miss it hence the comment 'odd time'. this will depend on what you are doing at the time!

i have done this at times across all my honda's; i certainly don't make a habit of it nor would i want to or CONDONE it! You ought to learn very quickly the change point on your VTEC system at the earliest opportunity! Fortunately never been in a position whereby i destroyed any of my engines.

there are plenty of young-bucks/eejits out there that sit on the limiter for long periods and yet their honda's continually survive the abuse. That's testament to the overall build quality of the honda engine ... Your advice is best aimed at them and not me as I do tend to have some mechanical sympathy! :sorry:

10. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Great comments here!

So does it do the engine good to be revd high and in what way is it good?

11. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Last edited by a moderator: Friday 11th Mar, 2016
  12. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

If you had a free day, what old skool jobs would you do to your engine to keep it sweet? Valve clearances, new sparks plugs, air filter aside? Maybe a clean out of the throttle body? I dunno im a novice - anyone?

13. nsxer Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

if you knew what you were doing ALL of the above

14. 2.4 8thGen Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Brett Bristol
    I hit VTEC almost every day and the car loves it.
    Just make sure your engine is fully warned up.The 8th Generation has a bigger VTEC window from stock from 5.2 RPM upto the red.

15. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Yes that's the other caveat !

16. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Did Honda not build into their software something to stop you engaging Vtech until the engine temp is warm enough? I though I read it somewhere?

I have hit the limiter many times in my accord, my previous Civic 1.8VTI and my Honda CBR600 (which revs to 14,000RPM!!) . All with no ill effects. I just get used to revving the engine sooo high I forget sometimes that it has a limit ... I could listen to the noise all day!

Always makes me jump when I get there and change gear Immediately... But its good fun.

17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Can you explain to me how you know there was no ill effect ?

What you mean is it appeared not have to done any notable damage.

Last edited: Friday 11th Mar, 2016
  18. Dan Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Spark plugs and valve clearances im hoping to do on a nice summers day in a few months time.

Air filter no problem.

Never touched a TB before.

Want to do my own oil changes as well, but never done that before either.

What else?

19. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Make sure your tyres and brakes are in good working order.

20. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

By no ill effects I mean none of them use any oil, oil always clean at each change (every 6 months), engine runs smoothly and makes good power.
    Without stripping it down I have no way of telling other than that? I have also discussed with a friend who builds race engines and is the company owner( I won't mention the company name on here but it is well renowned within the top race teams) and he confirmed it wouldn't cause any issues as far has he has ever seen providing it didn't bounce off the limiter repeatedly for prolonged periods of time.