Accord How do you repair vinyl dash?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by exec, Tuesday 22nd Sep, 2015.

1. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    My car was in the garage for last two days getting exhaust fixed and then MOTed, somewhere down the line someone has decided to take the dash panel off and has left scratched, rips and dents all along that panel on the dash. To say I'm furious right now would be an understatement.

I don't know the full story yet, gonna try find out tomorrow, but i'm gonna make the assumption that someone took the EML bulb off to pass it through the MOT.

Anyway what I'm wondering is are there any ways to repair the vinyl cover of the dash? The dash on my car is foam backed with this sort of vinyl covering on it, it doesn't look repairable but maybe there might be some tricks to fix it.

Anyway so sad, you try to keep your car nice and pristine only for others to mess it up, it makes me so angry when people don't respect your property cos they think its just some old car that they can treat anyhow and think the owner wouldn't care.

Just shows that you should do all car work yourself, only reason why I didn't is because I had surgery few weeks back and was ill for a while so didnt have the physical strength to do manual labour. I wish there was a proper Honda enthusiast garage round my way.

:Sorry:

2. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

So sorry to hear that @exec

Too true, the only cars those lot care about are ones they can never afford!

Anywho I honestly don't think it can be repaired to the point where you cannot notice it but hopefully someone else may come up with a solution.

You got any photos for us?

exec likes this.
  3. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'd imagine it will be able to be repaired quite easily by a professional interior repair firm.

1980's Ford's suffer from the dashboards cracking. My Capri went in the usual place and I had a company called leathertech repair it to the quality of nobody has ever picked up on it (the classic car scene can be quite bitchy lol). It cost me £90 but that's a lot cheaper than trying to buy a replacement dash.

Nels, Chunkylover53 and exec like this.
  4. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Unfortunately no photos was too tired after work and just wanted to go home, I'll take some tomorrow morning. It probably sounds anal and fussy, but I like having things as pristine as possible, having loads of marks around the dash where im sitting and staring at the most just looks horrible and I have sort of OCD with that sorta of stuff so it always going to bug me.

Maybe I should just chop the car in and get an ATR or 7th Generation 2.4 and not get too attached, I feel like i'm fighting a lost cause trying to restore and keep this car in good nick.
    - - - Updated - - -
    You reckon? I thought they would be pricy, plus I would imagine whole dash would need to come out which I am not sure about as there is so much stuff that needs to come out and the refit won't be as good as factory fit, any rattle would drive me mad lol.

Plus the dash on our Accords aren't that sort of vinyl, its foam backed with this vinyl wrap over it, they would just tear and the foam poke out.

Does anyone know any good dash repair companies? Might go get some quotes, but again loath to spend money as something else probably get damaged next.

5. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Get an ATR, 2.4's are too slow.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Most car dealers use a company like the one I mentioned above for repairs to pitch cars. They will be able to do it no problem. They usually do the repairs in situ.

exec likes this.
  6. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Only thing that puts me off ATR is higher maintenance and less comfy for daily use.

Had a look at the company you mentioned looks like they don't cover South of the country. :Ermm:

7. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've only ever had to replace a ball joint and an exhaust front pipe. The ride isn't too harsh (unlike the CTR), the missus and kids are fine with it.

exec likes this.
  8. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
  9. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Nice mileage and 1 owner, I'd say it was the right money for a private sale. The fact that you would probably get a warranty from a dealer makes it a good buy.
    - - - Updated - - -
    Oh, and the values of ATR's seem to be going up rather than down now.

10. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Can you not get the garage who damaged it to sort it?

11. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I really doubt it, don't even know who did the job or they are saying they don't know so will be going to find out tomorrow, and even if they say they will I don't trust them, the car will probably just come back with another problem.

Oh also when I picked the car up today I found the doors were unlocked and the bonnet wasnt closed either. Such incompetence.... and you wonder why the motor industry has such a bad rep.
    - - - Updated - - -
    It's so tempting my insurance runs out next month too, I don't know what I'd do with my current Accord though, its too good to scrap, mechanically its immaculate, bodywise too, no rot underneath or on panels, and I recently spent £500 refurbishing the paintwork and wheels, so won't get anything in return form selling it either, plus i have too strong a brotherly bond with it.

This car always gives me difficult dilemmas. :Messed:

12. Karmadrome Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Skip Woking
    Have you thought about using a proper wrap vinyl to cover it? I know it sounds extreme but I've seen some good attempts with other models. Just make sure it's actual proper 3M wrap and it should be good for 7 years. Roll of vinyl is about 50-60 quid as long as you don't go too insane with the textured options. It not as difficult as people think and with the right prep and tools it's a sinch. Sorry to hear of the troubles.

My last Civic was driven into three times outside my home. The body shop did a terrible job each time and when I complained they came of and made it worse. A pillar cowling is a nightmare to fit I understand, but bulges are not good on a 5 month old car.
    I found a screwdriver in the engine bay after I got the car back another time the last time they didn't replace the cover on the battery and had infact lost it.

exec likes this.
  13. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    ouch! that sucks.... sorry to hear.
    don't know much but I guess you can always buy a dash cover from a breaker but then again depends on costs / time / effort involved.

exec likes this.
  14. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Vinyl wrap is a good idea, but the finish won't be good or OEM, so it'll just bug me.

I have done some quotes on the ATR and thinking of viewing the one I linked above, its a lot of money especially as i'm saving up for a deposit, but you only live once and I don't want to miss the boat with the ATR before they start appreciating. Might be time for a change after having this car for 5 years.

Karmadrome and legend-ary like this.
  15. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    You speak my mind. I have promised myself that I will own atleast 1 Type-R in my life, even for a few months. All I do at the moment is pray that there are some affordable Integras left when I have the money. 5 Years is indeed a long time these days .. strange, never really thought about how long I will keep my Jazz but then again I got rid of my Yaris cause of changing needs rather than want. :sherlock:

exec likes this.
  16. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    I'd love an Integra one day aswell, along with a Prelude, S2000 and my favorite a 2nd Generation CR-X. The CR-X have shot up in value so I have probably missed the boat with those, a decent price ones comes along every now and again but they will appreciate as time goes by.

The 5 years with this car doesnt feel long, only feels like I got the car yesterday and in that 5 years not once have I been bored of it, usually I have a very short attention span and get bored of most stuff very quickly, so its a testament to the Accord on just how good they are. I've just gone past my mid 20's, so getting on.... time to make the most of youth before old age sets in. :wheelchair:

Harvey, Chunkylover53 and legend-ary like this.
  17. Karmadrome Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Skip Woking
    I'm well past my mid twenties, age is a state of mind :zen:
    I checked out a few Accords, quite a few Civics and a fair amount of Integras - including a rather nice 4door import. Utterly off the "I miss my bike" sentiment I eventually settled on a 2nd Generation D-Series. The power possibilities are emense going the non-tec route, plus, opting for a 88-90 2nd Generation gives me great compression off the bat. Plus, being one of the lighter engine options available means that fully stripped and full of petrol (and a spare wheel, and a cage, proper welded one at that) they weigh in at 820kgs. And have an almost perfect weight distribution (with the spare tyre in the back).:jumpy:

exec likes this.
  18. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    If anyone here would be interested in my car, let me know, ill let her go for a good price if she goes to a good home.

19. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Going to go and see that ATR linked above tomorrow, really anxious though, worried it might throw big bills if i do buy it, mainly gearbox issues these had.

legend-ary likes this.
  20. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Good luck