Engine & Gearbox How fast do you drive, before your engine is fully warmed up?

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by lefty, Thursday 8th Jan, 2015.

1. lefty Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I was wondering, how fast do you drive, before your engine is fully warmed up?
    I have just started a new job and it is only 1 junction up the M6, I live about 2 mins from the junction and I do not like to sit on my driveway waiting for my engine to warm up (a lot of engineers say this is bad for your engine and you should just drive off!) but I also do not like to drive too fast until fully warm, therefore I tend to drive at about 55mph (sorry if it is me slowing you down!) but would prefer to drive a little slower until warm but hate the trucks thundering up behind you!

2. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I keep it below 2,500rpm and accelerate gently. It's a diesel though.

hondream likes this.
  3. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm a firm believer of gently letting things expand to their engineering tolerances before giving it some beans on the throttle. With modern engines and materials this only takes a short time.

vzh7gk likes this.
  4. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Where did you hear that? I always try to let my car warm up before going anywhere.

5. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I've heard that as well, don't know where from it's just one of those things that's stuck in my memory lol.

Perhaps one thing I can think of is that if you let the engine warm up whilst stationary then you may think it's ok to drive with some spirit, but will the gearbox (and rear diff if applicable) fluid, wheel bearings etc be up to temperature?

A few other things came to mind, you car will take longer to warm up when just idling so it could be actually causing more friction wear as it stays cold for longer, but it's still producing power so you may as well use that power (and obviously a touch more) to get moving and warm it up quicker. I would imagine this is fine with modern engines, oils and fluids.

Also, the CAT needs to be warmed up so won't you be pumping huge amounts of pollution in comparison to a quickly warmed up CAT? Just some thoughts.

Last edited: Thursday 8th Jan, 2015
  6. Duc de Pommfrit Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Chester Northumberland
    I only put my foot down when the engine is up to temperature

vzh7gk likes this.
  7. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I drive off as soon as I can after starting up let things warm up under gentle use - no hard acceleration, slowly though the gears until it's up to temperature.

It's an I-DTEC. Who has 25min to spare in the morning for the thing to start to warm up on idle? :Whistle:

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Lefty when I used to work for Honda this is the method the R&D boys used for warming up and I follow the same procedure till this date.. I tell no lie but the neighbours don't like it, you come across as a Capital T but they know me so they give me the thumps up. LOL

That is text book procedure how to get engine oil and coolant temperature up rapidly and safely. See his wrist action.

Last edited: Thursday 8th Jan, 2015
  9. Pottermus Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I don't think about it, it's what the Rev limiter is for lol

Besides, I normally have mine running for 5 minutes before I drive it.

10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

IIRC, most of the owner manuals I've read over the years have said not to warm up by idle/fast idle on the drive. Better to drive off, but avoid harsh revving until the engine is up to temperature. As mentioned above, there's more than just an engine to warm up.
    It's not difficult to keep the revs down, yet still drive at a suitable speed, even on a motorway.
    This may not necessarily be the best way, but it's served me well. Maybe it's one of the reasons my I-CTDI ran so well @Ichiban. :Unknown:

hondream likes this.
  11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    They say that purely down for fuel economy mate, Ideally on the I-CTDI and I-DTEC they take for an eternity to warm up as they are very very efficient engine.

They don't waste fuel like the Germans to warm up quickly so the passenger get warm quickly .. They ideally need to be warmed up with load. Petrol warm up way way faster :Wink:

Have a read of this same debate In-Depth - i-DTEC owners Heater & Air Conditioning System your findings

12. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Yes, it does take a while for the interior heater to kick in properly. The other system just takes the chill off the air coming in. My other Accords were warm inside much quicker.
    I was really referring to the engine etc reaching operating temperature.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Your car served you so well is because you looked after it, not knifed and poked and not ragged pillar to post.

Nels likes this.
  14. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Very true. :Grin:
    I not an old Granny driver either. Ooops is that being sexist or ageist? No offence intended

Ichiban and vzh7gk like this.
  15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    @lefty what method have you settled on for.. or you still debating? :Wink:

16. lefty Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Probably going to stick with what I have been doing, drive off from cold, but will stay below 2-2500 revs until fully warm. This is totally opposite from what I do with my motorbike - it was playing up and when I took it into the dealers they checked it over and the technician told me to let it warm before riding it, he told me it gave the ECU time to settle everything down. This does seem to have helped the running of the bike!

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Fair enough, I am sticking to the R&D method mate never ever had a problem. In 5 minutes I am up to temperature. :smoke: