How Many Lewis Hamilton Fans Here?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Ichiban, Tuesday 15th Apr, 2014.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    His fan base was massive in the McLaren era but after a few years of disappointing drives after his world championship win things went bad to worse for him..

His on and off the track attitude showed a few traits which raised a few eyebrows, now he is on the path of recovery and winning races his fans have found their voices..but a few die hard disillusioned fans are not so shallow and say its the Mercedes package and not him.

What are your views?

Last edited: Wednesday 16th Apr, 2014
  2. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    I have always liked him, afterall he is a brit mixing it with the top 1% of the top 1% professional drivers in the world.

He has a serious talent behind the wheel, much more a driver than Vettel, more like Raikonnen but unfortunately outside of a car he gives off this rude boy appearance that doesn't fill me with confidence.

He knows he is capable of achieving great success with the right package under him, and as a racer if the machinery under him cannot put him on the front row of the grid then what is he meant to do and i think that is the source of his frustrations and spoilt attitude that comes across when things don;t go his way.

I would hazard a guess that as he grew up and came through the ranks, with the backing of McLaren he was ALWAYS out in the best equipment available and with his feedback it would have been setup better than anyone out there. So it makes winning easier as you work your way up the ranks and formulas. When you get to the top where it is a matter of tenths of a second between the top ten, if he knows he has done his very best and still hasn't succeeded then it must be the equipment at fault. I cannot blame him for that outlook at times.

Unfortunately though he will never be the gentleman that Jenson Button is in my eyes.

sunbeem and Nels like this.
  3. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Whilst I cannot claim an in depth knowledge of the guy, to me he does come across a an arrogant so'n'so, albeit a very talented one.
    He also appears childish and immature on occasion. Not the attributes of an international role model.

@PeteMM your view and comments on him are well structured and logical. They go a long way in explaining his behaviour.
    I think he needs a sensible mentor to round off those less likeable traits. Then we can all feel happier about getting behind this British talent.

As for JB, couldn't agree more !

4. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I will admit that he is a good driver and got balls when needed but can't stand him anyway.
    He is a spoilt brat whot throws toys out of the pram when things don't go his way.
    Agreed with Pete, he will never be the gentleman Button is.

PeteMM likes this.
  5. sunbeem Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I agree with the above comments, and feel that gentlemanly behaviour, in most sports, is undervalued, if valued at all. This has to be detrimental in the long run.
    I once heard Jackie Charlton comment on a football match, and he said "He should have fouled him there." That sort of thing, from respected figures, gives licence to the rest and sanctions the lousy behaviour we see now. An idol with no manners has feet of clay.
    I remember my son, at one of his first school sports days, flying into an early lead in the egg and spoon race. He stopped just before the tape, to let his mates catch up ... one of my proudest moments!

Sunbeem.

FirstHonda and PeteMM like this.
  6. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    When Lewis 1st came into F1 he was only 21 years old and very eager to win. He showed his double world champion team mate (Alonso) up after only 3 races. He was in 1 of if not the best team (Mclaren) at the time and wanted to win. His raw pace scared the pants off Alonso which resulted in Alonso throwing his dummy out the pram and leaving McLaren. great things were understandably expected from him at the time. I'd challenge anyone to find me a 21 year old racer with this talent and expectation that isn't going to have an air of arrogance about them. Most 21 year old men are arrogant without the need for any influences. Every racing driver is born to win and believes they are the best, it's a certain natural competitive arrogance which is needed to win. In my opinion he is the most naturally gifted racer in F1 today which is shown by his ability to overtake and run rings round other good driver. In his early years at McLaren when he had a championship winning car, races and championships were lost due too failings in the team. I would defy any true racer to not get annoyed at this and not vent their frustration after repeated failings. Frankly if I was a team owner and my driver wasn't annoyed at not winning races then I would seriously question their ambition and attitude towards winning.

But over the years, 8 now, he has noticeably grown up and calmed down. In his later years at Mclaren when the car wasn't performing and he knew it stood no chance of getting a result his attitude was one of 'oh well'. He is far more mellow than he used to be. Now at Mercedes even though he knows he has a championship winning car and he is running rings round his team mate he still has the mellow attitude and is far more smiley than he used to. But the people who didn't like him and used the excuse of 'arrogance' as a reason to hate still use the same excuse today.

Lewis has done some things in the past which I haven't agreed with but on the whole I believe he is one of the nicer drivers out there. I do find it funny how a lot of the Hamilton haters I talk to are actually Alonso supporters and accuse Lewis of being arrogant. I like to point out that Alonso was the one who tried to throw his weight around at McLaren when he realised and was threatened by Lewis' natural talent. It was Alonso who tried to black mail RON Dennis (CEO of McLaren) into getting his own way, then in the process shafted McLaren and got them thrown out the constructors championship. And it's Alonso who in Singapore 2008 along with the Renault team fixed the Singapore race by instructing Nelson Piquet Jnr to crash and bring out the safety car. Alonso only got let off being banned from the sport for years because he pleaded ignorance to knowing the fuel strategy his team had decided to use on his car during the race which conveniently coincided with Piquet Jnr's crash. No driver would ever not know the fuel strategy used in their car. Suddenly a little natural competitive arrogance doesn't seem so bad.

7. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I will have to partly disagree with you here Doc.
    I agree Hamilton is better driver then Alonso but I still think Alonso is a great driver and not really how you describing him.He deserved his two world championship but then I am one of those Hamilton haters and I don't like his personality and not his driving/tactics.

8. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Don't get me wrong I do think Alonso does have a lot of talent, he's in the top 5 drivers currently on the grid. But I think now he has a good team mate (not Massa) it will give us something to really compare him too. Last time that happened was at McLaren when he partnered Lewis and he threw some big tantrums when he was shown to be lacking. It'll be interesting to see if the same happens again now he's partnering Kimi, once he gets settled and starts producing results will noses get put out of place again.

As for Alonso's character the court case showed Alonso was let off because he pleaded ignorance when everyone around him admitted race fixing. And it is a fact he tried to black mail RON Dennis into giving him number one status at McLaren once he realised how fast Lewis was. I don't like cheats. If you can't win fairly then it shows you're not good enough. I would stop being a fan of any driver who was shown to be cheating.

The same could also be said for Vettel. Ricciardo is out performing Vettel at the minute, maybe the 4 times world champion isn't as good as we all thought and it was just the car.

9. steve4536 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

My opinion; You can't have one without the other IE, the best car doesn't make the best driver, you have to have the combination of the two. Hamilton's personal traits on and off the track
    should not detract that he is a rare talent, why pay him millions otherwise? He's a British driver, I want him to win.
    Genius always carries a few eccentricities and that's why he's like he is.

PeteMM likes this.
  10. PeteMM Premium Member Club Supporter

Northern Ireland Pete Belfast, UK
    As much as I don't personally like Vettel, he is seriously consistent and RedBull used that to their advantage whilst they were many years deep in their previous engine developments.

With the new car, new engines, and starting from scratch, he no longer maintains an advantage in the equipment. He will always remain a very consistent and quick driver, but he isn't a fighter.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Need predictions chaps for a flutter , is Nico going to have Lewis , or is Rico going to have the Vetel the petal.

12. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Well Lewis has won the last 3 out of 4 races and he would have won the 1st if his car hadn't broken down. After the way Lewis mugged Nico in the 3rd race on 4 separate occasions even when he was on the slower tyre I can't see how anyone would put their money on Nico. He's just been consistently shown up by a far more talented driver.

I'm tempted to put a flutter on Lewis for the championship as I think he'll be so far ahead by the time the other teams catch up it'll already be game over. In qualifying the Mercedes is a second quicker than any other team and their far more fuel efficient than the slower teams at the same time. Once the other teams start to catch up the Mercedes will up the engine map and leave them all for dead again. Lewis has developed a driving style where he can lift off earlier, brake later, and still lap quicker than last years car. Nico is still reading Lewis' telemetry to try and work out how he does it. lol

13. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It's quite simple He's BRITISH and the best chance of us having some glory in this Red Bull/German dominated era.