General How much exhaust smoke on hard acceleration is normal?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by dbrooks65, Saturday 30th Aug, 2014.

1. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Hi

There's a stretch of road on my daily commute that's perfect for an occasional Italian Tune up for my I-CTDI. However, when I look in my rear view mirror there's quite a lot of grey/black smoke - possibly more than I would expect.

Obviously it's difficult to quantify the amount of smoke - it last for about 6 or 7 seconds when accelerating hard, then if I do the same shortly afterwards there is no smoke. I drive like a vicar most of the time which is why I redline it about once a week. Should I floor it more often?

Clearly having no DPF means some smoke will come out this exhaust but I just wondered how much is normal. Bit of a how long is a piece of string question - apologies.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Only ever noticed a little puff of grey smoke, once when I started up on a cold day, no more than about the size of a football.
    Other than that, nothing.
    My Accord's over 10yrs old now. I've never red lined her, but I do accelerate of quickly sometimes and like to keep the revs up (apart from motorway cruising).

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Yes, cars do benefit from an Italian tune every now and then :Smile:

@Nels ... you obviously don't drive a K series engine, these just love to be taken to the redline :Whistle:

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Someone, was going to take me for a run in their K24. :Sobbing:

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Ah yeah.. Like I said though your welcome to pop over anytime. We actually had a meetup and went to the Star City Honda Meet last weekend. Should have come along.

6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Last weekend and this aren't possible. Star City would have been perfect, if I was free.
    If all goes well, I'll catch you one day. :Whoosh:

7. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Just had a thought - a few months ago I changed from BP ultimate diesel to BP regular diesel due to price.

Is it possible this had made a difference to the amount of smoke?

8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I run on regular.
    What's your oil level like?

9. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Wouldn't have thought the ultimate versus regular would explain the smoke. The car might not run quite as smooth on regular and not have quite as much poke but the regular BP still has the detergents and some of the additives in.

My parents IS220d used to smoke on acceleration on say Morrison's diesel or Jet diesel but nowhere near as much on Shell regular or VPower.

Supermarket fuel is rubbish. Just tried a tank full in my I-DTEC and got easy 2-3 MPG less. Didn't notice a drop off in power but switching back to Nitro+ it does feel better.

10. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Oil level is at the maximum mark. It was serviced 4K miles ago using Castrol Edge 0W30 and I haven't topped up.

It's probably nothing but like most on this forum I like my car to be running as well as possible and if there's a problem I'd rather get it looked at early.

Cheers guys

11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I always have mine at the mid point. Too much oil is not good. That could be causing the smoke.
    I would drain a little off, or suck some out with an oil extractor.

12. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Next time I'm doing the run up to Liverpool I'll have to drop you a message and see if you're in :Smile:

13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I agree with Nels, oil level should at the midpoint, not at the max point. I think there's a 1 litre difference between midpoint and max point so engine is overfilled.
    An overfilled engine will run at higher oil pressure, which is not good for gaskets and the such like and this maybe causing the smoke you are seeing.

Also as Nels said, drain or suck some out.

14. Phil1978 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Phil Salisbury
    Grey/black smoke could be a sign of a fuel problem, could you put your hand by the exhaust when it happens and have a smell of it or does it only happen whilst driving under load?

15. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    It only happens whilst accelerating briskly. I gave it some beans today and hardly anything came out the back - so I'm probably fussing over nothing. Maybe leaving it a full week (which is about 300 miles for me) between flooring it is too long.

16. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Overfilled oil doesn't increase the oil pressure ? The pump speed increases the pressure? unless I am mistaken which I may be of course. I always run my cars on the max mark and have done all my life. and they have been fine. Overfilled oil will get into places it shouldn't like the wrong side of the pistons causing blow by and blue smoke...and pressure in the wrong places. Its a bad thing but a few mm over is nothing to much to worry about, well I've never had a problem.

I agree on the red line of the 2.4 engine though, she sure likes to rev that old girl does... mmmm 6krpm VTEC is addictive!! not good for my MPG though lol.... but worth it.

I think diesels seem to smoke randomly and its very dependent on the engine and how its been treated in life. I notice fords smoke quite a bit but again the amount does vary a lot. The DPF solves the smoke on newer cars but costs you big time in repairs! Diesel is a dirty burning fuel theres no getting away from that so some smoke is inevitable. I wouldn't worry to much and enjoy the diesel torque curve.... and don't look behind you. :Smile:

dbrooks65 likes this.
  17. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

The correct level is half way between min and max. The difference between the half way mark and the max mark is about a litre.
    Channels around the engine are only designed to flow a certain amount of oil, excess oil causes back log and therefore pressure on areas it shouldn't.
    Also an overfilled sump will cause oil frothing as the crank splashes around, this deteriorates the oils ability to lubricate.
    Also pressure isn't created by the pump, flow is created by the pump, pressure comes from restrictions around the engine. Imagine hose pipe, water is flowing at a certain rate, if you want water with some pressure, you restrict the end of the pipe. The water flow rate /pump rate stayed the same.

If you're filling just upto the max mark, you'll probably be fine (although as already mentioned you are already 1 litre over spec). You don't want to be over the max mark at all.

You say "only a few millimeters over max on the dipstick" ... well imagine that as area that across engine. Every 1mm is probably something like 100ml of oil or so.

I'd advise people to stick to specification, fill your engine to what the spec says. If its say 4.2litres, put in 4.2litres, don't go to the max mark and never go over the max mark.

That's my advice, take it or leave it, the choice is yours :Hey:

18. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Sure, I'm not disagreeing but the oil sump is just a resevoir and oil is picked up through the pick up pipe, if its filled high enough to reach the crank then you would be in real trouble, but if its just a little further up the pick up pipe then I cannot see this being a problem. Your right the pressure is dictated by the restrictions of the pipe and is directly proportional to flow rate.
    The oil pan is only a small surface area so its easy to get above the max mark with a little extra oil. I ran my previous Civic overfilled by 4mm with no ill effects for 6 months. And my accord has been over by a couple of mm over the past year with no ill effects.

Like you I am not saying do this just commenting on my experience.

19. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    The only comment I'll make to the above is circumstances of "I did it and it was fine" make people do things which are perhaps bad practice and lead to circumstances which aren't "fine" :Icecream:

20. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    I'll be honest the correct oil level of halfway between min and max is news to me.

Any time my oil has been at the halfway 1st Generation've topped up to max and any mechanic that has serviced my car has always filled to the max mark.

I'm here to learn though so I'll take the comments on board.