Engine & Gearbox How much noise is normal?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by speeding_ant, Friday 20th Mar, 2015.

1. speeding_ant Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

NZ
    I got my Type-S a few months ago with 28,000kms on the clock. The engine has likely done a lot of hours in Japan. I've put 15,000 relatively hard kms on her since. Just wondering when it's advised to do a valve clearance check? I've got a video of the current valve noise when warm, would appreciate some advice :Smile:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/34561199/2015-03-20 17.33.12.mov

Cheers!

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    From what I can tell (and recorded videos never quite capture true sound) is that it's mostly fuel injector clatter.

To eliminate that and actually listen to the engine itself take the intake cover off and cover injectors with a towel (obviously being careful to keep the towel away from moving parts).

Start the engine and then have another listen (and of course record another video :Wink:).

3. speeding_ant Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

NZ
    Is injector clatter normal? Thanks for the reply too, you're all really helpful :Smile:

4. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    As the injectors are energised they make a click noise. It can to some appear to be a little noisey and be confused with valve train noise. By all means have the valve clearances checked but don't get overly worried.

5. speeding_ant Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

NZ
    Cool - sounds like I don't have to worry. There's no huge amount of tappet noise when I start the car from cold, so I presume it must be injectors then. Car runs really well, so will check clearances if the noise gets any worse. I'll try the towel over the injectors trick later tonight.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham