Pre-Facelift Model How much should I pay?

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Manas Datta, Thursday 4th Apr, 2013.

1. Manas Datta Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could give me a bit of advice. I'm looking at a 08 plate Accord with 39k miles on the clock, the car's advertised on Autotrader for £7950. No accidents it seems, provided with HPI check etc.

The price seems a little low for the mileage and the condition the car is in. It's a 2.0 I-VTEC ES GT with satnav, reversing camera etc. The usual price seems to be "at least" £9k for this, but this one was listed at £8500 and today I saw it dropped to £7950, which seems almost too good to be true. The car has also been listed for at least a week now.

Am I being paranoid? Or should I grab what looks like a bargain? I spoke to the dealer, he said the car has come in as a part exchange and they just want a quick sale. Are petrol Accords difficult to sell....thus explaining the price drop? I guess I just "REALLY" want this car - it's the right mileage, right trim, right colour, right price!

Anyone got any ideas? Thanks in advance for any thoughts. Going to go down to Wokingham this Saturday to take a look.
  2. vygec Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Not too far off, parkers valuation suggests it should be around the 8.3k mark
  3. Manas Datta Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks Vygec - should have looked that up. So this might not be the scam I'm thinking it might be!
  4. Primarycare Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Primary c Northampton
    As with any used car purchase don't let your heart rule your head. Check it out! Thoroughly ... It may well be perfect and I hope it is contact the previous owner. Talk to Honda and find out what if any work was done on it. Check out MOT history on vosa and for your own thorough hpi don't just go by dealers if possible take another pair of eyes either you and drive it for a good distance not a couple of miles round the block.
    good luck bud :Smile:
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Not a bad looking car TBH , why did it have two owners in its short life? If we can find out if the two owners were align in any manner that would explain a lot.

At that mileage you have 100K miles before any major issue will ever hit you.
  6. Manas Datta Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks - that's a good point. I will ask to contact previous owner(s) and find out if there is any relationship there. Or at least get to the bottom of how it has had two owners.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks - great advice :Smile:. How would I contact Honda to find out about work done on the car? Just ask at a dealership with a VIN number or something?
  7. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Nice looking car, good spec, good colour.

Probably about right price for a saloon, a tourer would be £500 or so more. As long as the HPi, MOT, service history, handbooks, spare keys etc check out, I'd get it.

Guess everyone wants diesel these days, and the 2008 2.0 petrol is £240 road tax, so not too popular, but they are reliable and make sense if you don't do the miles for diesel to pay off, fairly fast also.

You used to be able to check recalls on the Honda website, but that part is down at the moment, so call a Honda dealer with the reg no and VIN.

Check the tyres are in good condition, as they are £120 each for a decent brand, if they are near replacement maybe some more scope for discount. Check all the electric gadgets work also, other than that, not too much else goes wrong.

Probably was a Honda dealer car, then 1 private owner.
  8. Manas Datta Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

That was some awesome insight - thanks! I've got a lot of homework to do thanks to this forum! As I mentioned to CJ earlier, I don't do enough miles to warrant the headache of a diesel and a DPF, and on my 40-50mph runs, this thing will give me decent enough mileage. My 53 reg Corolla is £195 a year to tax and on my commute barely manages 40mpg anyway, so £240 tax and the MPG it gives is not a huge jump financially. Will make note of the tyres and will ask about history too :Smile:. Might use all this info to push the price down by another couple hundred pounds.
  9. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

As long as it has full history and all the book and keys, its a cracking car.

Most are on the SvRS variable servicing, but some early ones are on 12 months or 12500 whichever comes first. So that will probably only have had 3 services, maybe 4. Cam chain engine so nothing to change there. Unevenly worn tyres worth a check, check inflation kit under the boot floor, check sat nav works and cd changer. Engines are pretty bompproof and nice and revvy. The do late 20's MPG around town, up to 40mpg on the motorway at 70mph.

Check for cracked fog lamps also, they are quite vunerable down there, £30 on Ebay but really a bumper off job to fit. Honda dealers want £150 for one lamp!
    SpeedyGee likes this.
  10. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Do you have a link to the said car?

Hate to be a buzzkill, but if a deal is too good to be true, then it probably is - and with good reason. don't let your heart rule your head :Thumbup:
  11. Manas Datta Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I do have a link to the car, I didn't post it because I've seen links removed from posts. It's down below.

UPDATE: I took it for a test drive. Lovely car, the dealer seems to be a genuine guy, the paperwork is all in order, but a couple of things - it's got 3 owners, the first person having owned the car for only 6 months (but the dealer didn't have paperwork for this). It might have been a Honda demo car. But he did give me the number of the Honda dealership where it's been serviced for the last few years so they could look up anything else it might have been brought in for.

But here's the thing: That car had the most disappointingly uncomfortable seats. The lumbar support was in my back in a strange way, and even retracting it all the way back, it made its presence felt. My wife has a bad back, and there's no way we would be able to make a long drive in that car. I don't know if it was because of the ES GT trim, or if it was that particular car, but it was enough to make me walk away from it. When I got back in my cushy Corolla, the difference was even more stark. I haven't driven another 8th Generation Accord, so don't know if they're all like that.

But my god, the car was gorgeous. And all the toys. And the reverse camera which I used for the first time. And the warm knowledge knowing that nothing will ever go wrong.

Everything...perfect! But those front seats! Went to Car Giant and looked at some...errr....Avensises (Avenses?!). Crappy, scratchy dashboards, but seats so cushy!

Anyone know if I should still look for 8th Generation Accords? Is this a known problem?
    Maybe that's the reason this car has still remained unsold even after £550 being knocked off of it last week, and why it's had 3 owners so far!

Maybe 7th Generation Accords are better?

Link to the car: Honda Accord 2.0 I-VTEC ES GT 4DR SAT NAV 2 owner full Honda history 2008
  12. AccordCU2 Premium Member Club Supporter

I agree that seats are not the most comfortable out there.
    Drove last year to Croatia and spent 24 hours in driver seat and i felt fine all the way.
    Try another one and see how it feels.
  13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Not the most comfortable you what !! They are the best seats on a accord ever , Honda spend a massive part of their budget on the seats atb the time of development.

Lumbar support you should have used the lever to control it? The longest journey I have done is 6 hours and I was fresh as daisy.

Anything higher you should take breaks driving more than that on stretches is not good.
  14. AccordCU2 Premium Member Club Supporter

Meant as a whole not just Accord,there are cars that has more comfy seats.
    Like I said I spent 24 hours in mine and felt ok.
  15. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

The Accord has some of the biggest and most comfy seats out there, like sitting in an armchair.

Sorry to hear that, but everyone has different seat requirements.
  16. TheDarkKnight Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Like CJ, I have done many 6-hour-plus drives, and never felt better.

I'd throw my home sofas out if I could get an Accord suite - they are the best things I have ever parked my backside on. As for the car the OP refers to - as said earlier - the deal was too good to be true and certainly for me, the 3 keepers already would put me off, whatever the price was.