Electrical & Lights How Much Voltage goes to Cabin Lights ?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2001-2005)' started by RogerH69, Tuesday 14th Jul, 2015.

1. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

South Africa Roger Oxford, UK
    Sorry for the newbie question, but how much voltage goes through to my cabin lights ? The reason I am asking is a have a plug I can plug into my cigarette lighter, and then connect to something that accepts 12v, so I was thinking I could use it to test what my LEDs look like in the 2 positions I am thinking of mounting them before I actually mount them, and without having to splice them into the light for the boot.

I'm just wanting to know if the LEDs would normally be powered by 12v so that I don't blow them like I did with my one dashcam :Smile:

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Your lights will be 12v.

You can get LED strips in 12v, just depends what you have bought. Did it state 12v on there ? If so then you can plug in direct to cig lighter socket to test.

Nighthawk and RogerH69 like this.
  3. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks. I assume they're 12v LEDs as instructions say to splice them to the wires supplying the cabin lights

4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    On a car, its the amperage which is a concern as well as the voltage, make sure that the amperage draw on the circuit is not exceeded otherwise you will start popping fuses. LED's take very little amperage, but its something to keep in mind.

chris2982, Nels and RogerH69 like this.
  5. RogerH69 Premium Member Club Supporter