General How often do you change your cars?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by eternal422, Monday 24th Jun, 2013.

1. eternal422 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Just wondering whether to change after 3 years (car will be 6 years old then) or hang onto it as long as I have done with my last one (about 8 years).

What do you guys do and why?

2. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

So far if everything is ok I kept cars for 4 years and then I get bored and have itch to change to something different.
    This time I hope to keep this one for a very long time.
    My current car is everything I want from a car and it has only 36k on the clock.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    We have two cars in the house every five year one is replaced with a brand new Honda and second car is run till its 8-10 years old dependant on the mileage. The cycle is repeated then on our 2 cycle now.

4. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    I used to change my cars every two or three years - always new - but since I took early retirement, and don't do the mileage, I have kept them longer. I changed my Accord for a CR-V when it was seven years and eight months old.

5. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

I tend to change mine every 2 or 4 years, having bought new or nearly new.

Whether correct or not, a car salesman once told me that to change after 3 years (from new) wasn't a great idea as the value loss between 2 and 3 years is relatively high, whereas the loss between 3 and 4 years is relatively low...mainly because of supply and demand i.e. many people change after 3 years so there is greater availability thus lower values.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    That is one of the reason I don't buy second cars, If I want to drive the car hard.I want to be that person thrashing it ,and not some idiot who has thrashed it to an inch of it life.. then flogged it.

Majority of the Honda Type-R owners are prime examples.

7. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    I agree. I like having a brand new car with just a few miles on the clock. I look after my cars and I know how it's been treated. The CR-V is my nineteenth new car.

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Wow 19th new car.:Hey: I am on my 7th a lot of catching up to do.:Whoosh:

9. Robbie Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Robert Lancashire
    Don't laugh, my first new car was a Vauxhall Viva after I left university and started working.

10. srgibbs Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

My Dad had a Vauxhall Viva SL90 from new, great car!

11. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Mine is 4 years old in November so starting to think about changing for a new Accord :Hooray:

However, given the current farcical situation within Honda UK regarding the 9th Generation Accord (you're not getting it in UK, well you might as we have no plans to stop it, well we've now got no plans to replace it, well we might do one soon, well we might not, well it's not coming here, well we don't know what to do now as new Civic has failed to set the world alight so maybe we'll still do the Accord.... you get the picture) I'll be keeping this one for a long time if I can as the Accord is my first choice and I don't know what I would get in it's place.. New Infiniti Q50 looks interesting however...

It's Honda's call in some respects.

12. philoldsmobile Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Normally 3 - 5 years for me, depends on the vehicle. My mustang was moved on sooner as it was rubbish, my Chevy Camaro stayed with me for nearly six, as it was very good. A Lexus was moved on in a couple of months, it was good enough but completely soulless and boring.

13. Sadsack Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Mo Cheshire
    If I'm happy with it as long as possible! Only had 4 cars over the past 11 years.

A Toyota Avensis SR bought when it was 2 years old with 20k miles. I loved it and kept for 8 years and clocked up 169k miles, and only ever had the front brake discs and a radiator replaced!
    Second car was a Merc E220 8 months old, that I kept for 1 week....don't want to even recollect that
    Third was my Accord Type-S, bought at 8 months old, and I kept for 4 years. Only got rid because was itching for a Legend
    Finally bought my 5 year old Legend under a year ago. Will keep forever and ever and ever!

Never had a new car....can't afford one :Sobbing:so always go for nearly new.

I say if you're happy with yours, keep it.

14. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I usually get bored around the 2 year mark but with the Accords I've found I tend to hang on a bit longer, my current Accord is it's fourth year of ownership.