Service & Maintenance How Often to Replace Fuel Filter (Petrol)?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by sc489, Saturday 21st May, 2016.

1. sc489 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've done 66000 miles in my 2.0 petrol Accord since new in 2006. The Service Book mentions replacing the fuel filter every 72 months or 75000 miles. A Honda level 4 service was done at 72 months / 41400 miles but the fuel filter was not replaced and it doesn't even appear on the Level 4 check list. The service done last year was a Honda 12+ service and has a green tick against "Fuel Filter Replacement Due".

I'm wondering if I need to replace the fuel filter at the service due next month since I am over the recommended service duration but under the recommended service mileage?

2. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I think it was around 75,000 miles that I replaced mine in the 2.4 and it was jammed solid with crap. Could be worth doing.

sc489 likes this.
  3. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Stuart Lancashire
    I've got one from HH but not done it yet, what sort of job is it?

4. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ichiban likes this.
  5. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

Thanks. I've seen that before and forgot about it! Have over half a tank so think I'll wait until it's low.

6. sc489 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I noted until 2011 "Fit new fuel filter" was item 56 on the Honda level 4 check list. The fuel filter is not mentioned after 2011 under the Level 4 check list - I'm not sure why not. Last year, a Honda 12+ service was done and there is a green tick indicating "Visually OK" against the item " Fuel Filter Replacement Due". How can the fuel filter be checked as OK when the guide on this Forum shows you have to remove the rear seat to access the filter?

7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I would have thought a full tank is better for this as vapours are more flammable?

8. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

Well they do say if you want to torch a car make sure the tank is empty.

9. sc489 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

10. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Ask for the old one back so you can saw it open and see how much crud is in it!

11. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

Fuel filter done this morning. Took my time but still didn't take that long. It started pretty much straight away and apart from a little cough when first accelerating (possibly a bit of air in the pipe?) it's running sweet as a nut. It does feel to be running better but of course there's a placebo effect that could be influencing things. When I get a minute I'll crack open the filter and see what it's like but even from the outside you can see it a solid black colour.

On a disappointing note, I asked the garage we use at work to change the filter when it was serviced. They didn't do it saying they ran out of time trying to get the back seat out. Well, you don't need to take it out and the clips that hold the carpet down have been broken, I also found parts of the back seat had been removed and not put back properly. I wouldn't mind but it took me literally 10 mins to get it right again. Obviously they've started the job and given up, I don't know why because they would've seen the cover of the filter. It bothers me that something that I managed.

12. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

Definitely running better.

I've cut the top off the old filter:
    fuel filter.
    As you can see it's absolutely choked, and some people say you don't need to change fuel filters, I really beg to differ..

13. sc489 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

What mileage have you done on this filter?

14. StuH Premium Member Club Supporter

The car has done 120k, I bought it with 118k. I can't evidence in the SH that it's been changed so I'm presuming it's original.

15. sc489 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The dealer replaced the fuel filter today after 10 years / 66500 miles. I kept the old filter and cut the end off. The photo shows a gauze filled with fine black debris along its length. I don't know if larger particles were trapped elsewhere in the filter and discarded by the technician. I can't say I notice any difference in performance.

Accord Fuel Filter.JPG

Ichiban likes this.