Suspension, Steering and Brakes How to adjust handbrakes on Accord Saloon Manual Transmission CN1's, CL7's and CL9's

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Ichiban, Wednesday 19th Jun, 2013.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    If you find your handbrake set way too high and need the feel to adjust the lever for a lower engagement point and better bite follow this guide..

How to check if you handbrake need adjusting.
    For those who need to do it scientifically pull the parking brake lever attached to a digital force gauge to measure the (A) with 196 N (20 kgf, 44 lbf) force to fully apply the parking brake. The parking brake lever should be locked within the specified number of clicks (B). Lever locked clicks: 6 to 9

Adjust the parking brake if the lever clicks are not within the specification.

Saloon handbrake adjust 1 AOCUK.JPG

Adjustment
    1) Release the parking brake lever fully.

2) Remove the center console.

For Manual Transmission:

Remove the shift knob (A).
    5-speed M/T: Lower the shift lever boot (B) to release the hook (C) from the knob.
    6-speed M/T: Loosen the locknut (D).
    Remove the shift knob.

Central console removal 1.JPG

Detach the clips (A, B) by pulling the center console front panel (C) up. If equipped, disconnect the seat heater switch connectors (D).

Central console removal  2.JPG
    Detach the clip (A) by pulling the ashtray (B) up.

Central console removal  3.JPG

Remove the screws (A), detach the clips (B) and hook (C) by pulling the center holder (D) up, and disconnect the cigarette lighter connector (E), cigarette lighter light connector (F), and cigarette lighter light bulb socket (G).

Central console removal  4.JPG

Detach the clips (A, B) by pulling the center console rear panel (C) up.

Central console removal  5.JPG

Remove the center console (A).

• Open the console box lid (B) then remove the console mat (C). '05 model: Disconnect the rear accessory power socket connector (D), and detach the clip (E).
    • Remove the screws (F, G), then pull up the rear portion of the console up to release the hooks (H), then remove the console.

Install the console in the reverse order of removal, and replace any damaged clips
    Central console removal  6.JPG

Top tip in the central console where the rear ashtray in situated you will see two philips head screws towards the bottom. if you remove them you can gain access to the parking brake adjusting nut without the need to dismantle the entire central console.:Wink:

3) Loosen the parking brake adjusting nut (A), start the engine, and press the brake pedal several times to set the self-adjusting brake before adjusting the parking brake.
    Saloon handbrake adjust 2 AOCUK.JPG

4) Raise the rear of the vehicle, and support it with safety stands in the proper locations.Guides - Correct Jacking Points • Honda Karma

5) Remove the rear wheels.Tigthen the wheel lug nuts to a 108 Nm when you are done,

For KQ model* , make sure the parking brake arm (A) on the rear brake caliper contacts the brake caliper pin (B).
    NOTE: The parking brake arm will only contact the brake caliper pin when the parking brake adjusting nut is loosened.
    Saloon handbrake adjust 3 AOCUK.JPG
    KQ model* please refer to this In-Depth - Honda Model Area Code Listing • Honda Karma guide

6) Pull the parking brake lever one click.

Saloon handbrake adjust 4 AOCUK.JPG

7) Tighten the adjusting nut (A) until the parking brakes drag slightly when the rear wheels are turned.
    8) Release the parking brake lever fully, and check that the parking brakes do not drag when the rear wheels are turned. Readjust if necessary.
    9) Make sure the parking brakes are fully applied when the parking brake lever is pulled all the way.
    10) Install the rear wheels.
    11) Install the center console, the reverse of step 2

Can someone please do a actual DIY to support this guide.

intruder and SpeedyGee like this.
  2. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Re: How to adjust handbrakes on Accord Saloon Manual Transmission CN1's, CL7's and CL

a quick tip. you don't need to take the center console out, just push both front seats fully forwards. remove the two screws at the back of the cosole and using a trim tool or taped up screw driver pop the top of the trim outwards. there are two clips at the top securing it. you can then use a semi long extension and deep 12mm socket to loosen/tighten the handbrake.

jimmy1973gb and intruder like this.
  3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Re: How to adjust handbrakes on Accord Saloon Manual Transmission CN1's, CL7's and CL

Nice one mate I did make a mention of that in my guide right at the bottom of the center console has been dismantled ahahahahah

intruder likes this.
  4. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke

ahhhhh i spotted it this time. :telloff: must have skipped a step.

5. simbac Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Namibia

hie guys today when i parked my car, pulled the handbrake and started making a funny loud noise when i engage. it still holds but its making a noise during engaging, i also noticed that its now having too much free play left and right which it didnt do all along. is it something loose or what. pliz help

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

Was the car still moving when you engaged it or was this at a standstill?

Where do you think the noise cam from the rear wheels of the hand lever?

7. simbac Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Namibia

no the car was stationery when i engaged and i think the sound is coming from beneath the lever and the other thing is its not going up smoothly like how it used to

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

Apply a liberal amount of tube on the handle pivot and the two cables. Take it from there.

9. simbac Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Namibia

ok thanx so how do you expalin the free play that the lever has left and right isnt it loose or something

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

There should be minimal lateral movement you may want to remove the entire central console to have a look that pivot to see if been worn excessively. If it has then it may need a new lever assembly.

11. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke

some movement can be expected. without looking myself i couldn't tell you if somthing is wrong or not.

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

Intruder you going to do the actual DIY of this,as you requested this info.