Guides How to change the Engine oil on a i-DTEC engine

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by Ichiban, Monday 16th Sep, 2013.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Simple guide for a quick oil change.

Engine Oil Replacement

Warm up the engine.

Remove the engine undercover
    i-DTEC Engine Oil  Repalcement -AOCUK.

Remove the drain bolt (A), and drain the engine oil.

Reinstall the drain bolt with a new washer (B).
    i-DTEC Engine Oil  Repalcement -AOCUK2.

Refill the engine with the recommended oil .

Capacity
    At Oil Change:
    5.2 L (5.5 US qt, 4.6 Imp qt)
    At Oil Change Including Filter:
    5.5 L (5.8 US qt, 4.8 Imp qt)
    After Engine Overhaul:
    6.5 L (6.9 US qt, 5.7 Imp qt)

i-DTEC Engine Oil  Repalcement -AOCUK3.

For members with HDS follow this procedure how to reset SvRS and engine oil change off the next reminder.

Connect the Honda Diagnostic System (HDS) to the date link connector (DLC) .
    Turn the ignition switch to ON (II).
    Make sure the HDS communicates with the vehicle and the engine control module (ECM). If it doesn't communicate, troubleshoot the DLC circuit .
    Select BODY ELECTRICAL with the HDS.
    Select ADJUSTMENT in GAUGE MENU with the HDS.
    Select SERVICE REMINDER in the EU MAINTENANCE MINDER with the HDS.
    Select SERVICE REMINDER ITEM A with the HDS.
    Run the engine for more than 3 minutes, then check the oil level , and oil leakage.

Oil filter change

Remove the oil filter assembly using the special oil filter wrench.

Separate the oil filter cap and oil filter element.

Special Tools Required
    Oil Filter Wrench 070AA-RL00100

i-DTEC Engine Oil Filter Repalcement -AOCUK.

Install the new O-rings (A) and oil filter element (B) to the oil filter cap (C).

Apply new engine oil around the O-rings, then install the oil filter assembly to the oil filter housing.
    Tighten the oil filter assembly using the oil filter wrench.

Specified Torque:
    25 N·m (2.5 kgf·m, 18 lbf·ft)

i-DTEC Engine Oil Filter Repalcement -AOCUK2.

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  2. narcosis Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Post service note: skip to page 2 for service photos.
    --------------------------

Thank you for this, quick question what filter wrench do I need to buy? The part no. is obviously genuine Honda.

Also, do the replacement o-seals come with a genuine oil filter from Honda or are these a separate purchase? I was looking to purchase an oil filter, air filter and cabin filter from HH but would like to get a complete order.

Thanks.

Neil

edit note - found this thread:

Sponsors - Honda Genuine Service Parts • Honda Karma

so the answer is yes it comes with the o-seals

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Neil Have a look on Amazon this is an example of generic wrench

The new oil filter will have those all the o rings. Don't forget to order the sump crush washer.

Last edited: Monday 1st Sep, 2014
  4. narcosis Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yep had a peak before but did not know what size to get. Is the wrench in the link the correct one?

Thanks,

Neil

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Yup it is ..76mm or 14 flutes

6. narcosis Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thank you, I will have a look.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  8. narcosis Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Well the amazon order is in and the request for parts is in with HH having used the system on the forum, just awaiting the call back. So when all the bits arrive I will add the pictures to your thread above :Smile:

I will also have a peak at how easy the access is to the transmission but will leave any oil change to another time, infact I might just ask Bristol Honda to do this next year at the next planned service.

Quick one, if I decided to do the basic service myself all the time, can I rightly reset the SvRS myself (as per the manual)? or will Honda be happy to do this for me if I rock up to have a B service done and explain/demonstrate I have done the usual suspects?

cheers

Neil

Last edited: Thursday 19th Sep, 2013
  9. narcosis Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

HH bits in the post so if the weather holds at weekend I might actually get my hands dirty!

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  11. narcosis Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

A few points to note, the Oil Filter housing is on the top of the engine (not far from the oil cap!), as a long time petrol owner I spent a long time looking for it underneath the car and the noted picture of this area does not help in the general location of the filter.

I would also note that the jacking points picture on other service threads appears to relate to the saloon version because the only solid point I could find to jack from the front of the car was the chassis and this looked nothing like that shown in the pictures. I also suffered with a small jack and would think about buying a larger jack in order to improve access underneath.

cheers

Neil

Last edited: Monday 30th Sep, 2013
    Ichiban likes this.
  12. narcosis Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Service done.:OTT:

I did a complete basic service so Air Filter, Cabin Filter, Oil Filter and Oil.

The parts from Honda cost ~£45, the oil was expensive at ~£40 for 4litres!! Note to self, look at the forum sponsors before shelling out on oil!

The Oil change took about 1.5 hours but only because it took me a long time to find the filter housing not realising it was on top of the engine and not underneath!! I would suggest that including for 30 minutes of oil draining this would take approximately 50-60 minutes.

A picture of the tools and parts:

Tools_zps4b6e116a.

HondaFilterReplacements_zpsabfa1f34.

The engine bay particulars:

0011000x667_zpsaee5bdbb.

Oil Service - Sighting and removing the underbody tray:

As noted it is a good idea to use plenty of penetration fluid and I used Copper grease on the as fitted bolts on replacement of the tray.

UnderTray_zpsce166e39.

UnderTray2_zps78854df9.

UnderTray3_zps2e124392.

Oil Service - Sighting the Oil Sump Plug:

A straight forward find and removal using a 17mm spanner or socket, make sure you have the oil collection tray handy along with plenty of news paper!

SumpPlug1_zps3dabc0d5.

SumpPlug2_zps5a9e4ca8.

Oil Service - Sighting and removing the Oil Filling Cap, Dip Stick and Filter Assembly:

Very straight forward once I found the filter housing!

OilCapampDipStick_zps2bae0a88.

OilFilterRemoval_zps09769781.

OilFilterHousing_zps7210aece.

OilFilterAssembly_zps325519fa.

HondaOilFilter_zpsae797d3d.

OilDrain_zpsa5392af0.

Air Filter Service:

The Air filter housing requires the removal of 5-6 (memory fading!) 8mm bolts, these required plenty of penetration fluid. Without removing the engine air inlet connection, I lIfted the housing sufficiently to extract the old filter and add the new. The photo below shows the compariosn over 6 months use, it was much worse on the reverse. This operation took 10 minutes.

AirFilterHousing_zps4c290819.

AirFilterComparison_zps2f981024.

Cabin Filter Service:

The cabin filter service is covered under an article on the forum and requires a small amount of work in the glovebox, the pictures are self-explanatory. This operation took 2-3 minutes. Again the comparison shows the difference over 6 months!

CabinFilter1_zps4eec219a.

CabinFIlter2_zps3a352bcc.

CabinFIlter3_zps5edabeae.

CabinFIlter4_zps20074215.

Last edited: Monday 30th Sep, 2013
    AccordCU2 and SpeedyGee like this.
  13. rpe2 Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Without wishing to stir the pot on the 'is it best practice' debate, is there any physical reason why a garage would not be able to extract the oil via a suction pump on the dtec engine?

Thanks

Richard

Toggerefc likes this.