ICE & HFT How to create a back up sat nav disc?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by tonygw, Monday 28th Oct, 2013.

1. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Hi Guys

Can any body tell me the best way to create a one off back up copy of the sat nav disc in my accord tourer 2004 pre facelift?

I realise that making copy's of the sat nav disc breaches copy right laws, but I really want to make a back up copy of my V2.11 disc for my own use only. Please note I no way intend on making copys for anybody else so please don't ask this is for me only. I am trying to back up a few things at home and this is on the list.

I have tried copying the files accross from the original disc but the copy did not read in the DVD drive. I also used some image software to make a copy but again it didnt work.
    I am using TDK DVD dual layer discs from maplin is this the correct type?

So any tips or advice would be really appreciated. or if you have a method to do it but not for posting on a public forum then if anybody would be kind enough to send me a PM that would be great.

Thanks guys!

Tony

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    There is one big thing missing from that thread, you need a DVD-RW burner capable of setting the booktype for the disc to DVD-ROM and not DVD-RW like most, it's commonly called "bitsetting". Google your DVD burner model number (you can find this in the Windows Device Manager) and take a look, there's also the possibility that you can get it supported via a 3rd party firmware update. That was the case with my old burner.

I'd recommend burning your image using ImgBurn where bitsetting can be manually specified, using 2-4x and Verbatim DVD+R DL for the media.

Last edited: Tuesday 29th Oct, 2013
    AccordCU2, SpeedyGee and Ichiban like this.
  4. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Thanks guys this is exactly the information I was hoping to get. I have a copy of imgburn but did a copy in standard setting. Now I have something to work from so I will set it to the required setting like suggested and give it a go.

I'll get some Verbatim's to :Smile: Its bugging me why I couldn't get it to work but I do like a challenge! cheers

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    lets us know how you get along bud.

6. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

mmm ok not doing so well on this. imgBurn doesn't support my emachines dvd drive to change the bitsetting to DVD ROM dag nam it. And the search for a custom firmware for the drive hasn't gone well either. I may have to find another laptop with a more common dvd drive supported by imgburn (bit extreme I guess). The dvd drive I have is an optiarc dvd rw ad-7585H ATA if by anychance anybody knows where I can get a custom firmware to change the bitsetting to dvd rom.

All this for a back up of my satnav disk lol.. I haven't given up yet!

7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I've been taking a look, it seems that Optiarc use various different OEM's to supply their drives, I can't find out what drive yours actually is under the hood at all. Do you have access to any other machines around the house or at work?

8. tonygw Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Thanks for checking its appreciated. I found the same problem. I found some evidence it might be NEC but nothing conclusive and the product codes didnt match anything either, serves me right for buying cheap!
    I do have a work laptop but its pretty locked down so I cannot install imgburn onto it to try. My last hpoe is to try and use the wifes laptop which is an old HP which may work. I'll keep you posted. Thanks
    Tony

9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

No problem mate, best of luck with it :Thumbup: