Electrical & Lights How to fix HID (Xenon) headlight lens condensation

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Galgo, Saturday 14th Feb, 2015.

1. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

My O/S HID (Xenon) headlight lens is full of condensation. Some people on another forum were going on about using silica bags in it so I bought some off eBay but I can't see where to put one. There's a "do not open" sort of sticker behind what I assume to be the bulb for the dipped beam. I removed the cover for what I think is the high beam bulb but there's no room in there to put a bag.

I'd like to get this sorted as it's ruining the look of my car and I guess it's an MOT failure as well. I don't really want to spend £300+ on a new lens from Honda if I can help it. Any suggestions guys?

I did ask on another forum but I think everyone there only has Accords with halogen headlights lol

Thanks. :Smile:

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I don't have factory HIDs either, but from my perspective the most sure fire way to resolve the issue would be to split and reseal the headlights housing, I'm assuming here we're talking about factory Xenons on a 2004 Executive?

By the way, I normally recommend the renewing silica bags trick too, but that's on halogen casings which come from the factory that way and tend to just become over-saturated during the winter months.

3. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yes that's the exact model I've got, with factory-fitted HIDs.

Is it a simple enough job to split and reseal? I've never done it before. And would I use some kind of silicone sealant?

Re. the silicone bags, I was looking at the HID bulb changing guide and it appears there might be enough room to put a bag in there. But not sure if that's safe to do or not? This is my first car with HIDs so apologies if I'm sounding a bit wet behind the ears!

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I'm not convinced by this silica bag approach, so how do you get the bag out, if it looks like it will only just about go in ?

You could try using a hair dryer, set on low setting and blow into the hole where the bulb goes in until the headlight is dry.

Ultimately though as @DeviateDefiant says you need to address the root cause of the issue. Although having said that I've not done a split and reseal of a headlight before so I don't know how hard it is to do .

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

It's not simple at all, as the factory HIDs are rare on our Accords, I can only go by the yanks TSX version where they strip down the light, bake the unit gently for 8-10 minutes to heat up the glue, then gently pry them open:

image.
    image.

From my perspective using a variable rate heat gun on a lower setting would be a far safer way to go about getting the temps up. As for resealing, a silicone based sealant is perfectly fine, though I've heard the RTV type recommended before.

Regarding silica bags in Xenon housings, AFAIK they're not used from the factory as opposed to their halogen counterparts, their must be a reason for this, perhaps operating temperatures? @Ichiban can likely advise further.

6. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

OK bit of a mini update here.

This morning I took the cover off the N/S Xenon bulb (it has no condensation). It's missing the tamperproof screw for the cover so need to get that sorted. Anyway I noticed there's a silica bag wedged in there, on the side nearest to the radiator if that makes sense.

Sod's law I've misplaced the driver bits I bought for tamperproof so need to get some replacements! But I am going to work on the assumption that the N/S condensed lens should have one too.

So near, and yet so far as they say! Oh well. At least I know you can use silica bags for the Xenon headlights too. :Smile:

7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

There we go then, silica bags it is :Smile: Keep us posted.

8. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Will do. I hope the lens isn't stained or anything, otherwise I'll have to go with the lens splitting option too :Frown:

9. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Do you have a garage? Literally just getting some heat on them to remove the moisture for now should tell you whether that's the case or not, alternative is to remove the housings and bring them inside.

10. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Nah no garage here sadly. If I used my other half's hairdryer on the lens would that do it?

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Potentially, I mean the heat is fine on the housing itself, but if it's still on the car the question is whether that level of directed heat on the bumper and surrounding bits of plastic would be a concern. I honestly don't know, hence the thought of a garage where you could just raise room temperature, or actually remove them from the car (which I'm sure you want to avoid if you can).

Silica bags will slowly do the trick, though if the condensation is bad you might saturate the bag before it's all out and have to take it out again, dry it and repeat.

12. Galgo Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

SpeedyGee likes this.