Dealers/Garages How to get an update for your Honda Accord DVD Navigation system

Discussion in 'Dealers, Garages & Body Shops' started by Abbey, Tuesday 3rd Jul, 2012.

1. Abbey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

USA
    You can use this link to check to see if the map on your Accord vehicle is up to date. Get the latest maps, nation-wide rural coverage, and points of interest for your navi system. This link was recommended on the official Honda website.

Simply choose your model/model year on the left hand menu option.

The Official Honda Map Update Site

If your map is up to date on your navigation system it should display this message.

"Our records indicate that the map that you have in your navigation system is our most recent release."

Otherwise you should receive further instructions on what to do next.

Last edited: Tuesday 3rd Jul, 2012
    Ichiban likes this.
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Good stuff Bev :GoodJob:

Abbey likes this.
  3. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I've just had my update. My street is now on. Cheers CJ!

Abbey and Ichiban like this.
  4. Julianp Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Paris
    Interesting link, thanks Beverly. If you substitute Acura for Honda in the URL you provide, you can go to an equivalent site for Acura models, including the TSX, which the European Accord corresponds to. There's another interesting option there, to update the Gracenote database (for artist, album and title information) on HDD (hard disk drive) audio systems.
    CJ, I know yours is the very latest and top spec UK model: does that have an HDD system, or is that still reserved for Acuras in the US?
    Julian.

Last edited: Saturday 7th Jul, 2012
  5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Julian the i-MID system with onboard HDD has not come in the facelift Accord , it will make it debut in the 9th Generation for sure. At this moment in time the TSX in the states have this feature fasttracked. TSX doesn't have the ADAS thou so it a trade off with gadgets versus active and passive safety.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    No problem I may upgrade to 3.60 in my 7th Generation soon so that 3.5x DVD will redundant soon.

7. Julianp Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Paris
    It will be interesting to see how the systems on the Accord evolve. There are a few areas where the infotainment system in the current Accord is off the pace: no touch-screen capability (although the screen in the 8th Generation is too far away), no TV or DVD playback (even as options), no digital (DAB) radio, no Internet connectivity, no Google Maps for the satnav, all of them features the premium German marques now offer, albeit often as expensive options.
    Honda has recently announced an agreement with Apple to use their Siri voice recognition technology, so I expect that part of the system will evolve too. The latest Microsoft Blue & Me system used by Fiat already recognizes MP3 album and track information so that you can select a song in your media library by voice, which is a big step forward from the "command and control" speech recognition software in our cars.

Last edited: Monday 16th Jul, 2012
  8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Honda have never been into popularity contest with the Germans. Honda philosophy to be individual and not following others is the driving force in how it innovates its car models. Honda will get all the features you want at a slow pace of at least 5-7 years, the rigorous internal testing alone takes that long before it is technically approved. That is one of the reason why Honda will always lag behind its customers demands and by the time they are released the competition has moved into the stratospheric territory. If people are looking for car for gadgets Mods and technology as latest as their new phones.. Then you may want to look elsewhere.

Honda will always give the trending technologies on the Civic first as it market audiences demand it. It will give engineering oriented technology on it higher sped car with lower emphasis of gadgets.

SayamaAccord likes this.
  9. Julianp Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Paris
    There is a French saying, "Qui aime bien, chatie bien" which translates literally as "Who loves well, punishes well". I'm very happy with my recent purchase of the Accord, but that doesn't stop me looking objectively and critically at some of its performance or equipment. Honda may need to take 5-7 years to develop a new engine; they certainly took their time before building their first diesel engine and did a really good job as a result. But I disagree with you in areas such as infotainment systems: that timescale is completely unrealistic, as it is in computer-related technology in general. And the more up-market the model, the higher customers' expectations will be. This isn't just about the German premium brands, although they often introduce these features first, and you will find some of the latest features I mentioned in cars from Opel/Vauxhall and Volvo as well. Honda is behind the curve in this area with the Accord today, but I am also confident that they will move the game on with the ninth generation, as the improvements in the 2012 Civic and their agreement with Apple on speech recognition show.

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Honda engine development is given higher importance to gadgets , it an engineering firm first and less of gizzmo and gimmicky company. The euro 5 petrol engines we see now were made and ratified in 2003 :Wink: but sitting on the R&D benches ready for deployment, which manufacturer can you think did that first. Euro 6 engine and earthdream technologies are in their final stages :Smile:

As for diesel that was a new challenge and uncharted territory for Honda and again, they want all the development time before they put their name on it. For example -The first CR-V in diesels was delayed as the engine torque was wrecking the gears in the gearbox , rather than pushing it out and let the customer do the R&D and claim via the warranty process, Honda delayed the car by 6 months to rectify the issues before sale. Do customer know that no

I hear what your are saying and you valid points and Honda must be seen to be develop gizmo's as fast as their rivals .. Honda have to lessen the testing and development stage and give it higher importance.Having worked for Honda they will not push something out until the entire approval chain of command says yes , it has not happened yet and and I can't see that being changed to appease European customers.

if Acura was launched in Europe then it will have everything fast tracked like for like as the states.

Abbey likes this.