Feedback/Help How to go about deleting your personal data when you are closing your account...

Discussion in 'Feedback, Help & Suggestions' started by toyracer69, Sunday 25th Nov, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toyracer69 Junior Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

London
    I had a member on the ATR forum, which I mod, post up his findings with this forum.

This is what he wrote....

"I signed up to ACOUK many moons ago and never used the account, and after a number of spam messages from insurance brokers peddling their wares I decided to close the account.

I couldn't find any way to do this so I posted in GD asking how I would go about removing my personal data (such as email address) from their forum, to which the thread was deleted and my account was banned.

An interesting reaction I felt.

So I signed up again, asking how to remove the accounts (now two) and pointing out their obligation to honour my request to remove my personal data from their database, thread deleted and account banned AND blocked my IP from the forum. "

Now I think this is NOT the correct way to deal with a civil request, which he is entitled to ask. Can anyone shed any more like onto this and as to why it was done this way? :Blink:

2. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I don't think this post in open forum is appropriate for this subject matter.

It would have been better if you had sent a PM to one of the Admin/Mods and taken it from there.

No doubt one of them will be in touch with you soon.

Ichiban likes this.
  3. toyracer69 Junior Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

London
    Maybe not but he DID try to PM them and got no reply hence why he posted up as to how to go about it.

4. Malibu Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hi Toyracer

I would second what Sayama accord has stated. Whilst I appreciate that everyone has a right to have their say & a right to speak their mind- I am suprised that as a Moderator yourself & having only heard one side of the story & clearly NOT being in receipt of the full facts here, that you have chosen to take such a stance.
    I would also ask yourself the question that had this situation been exactly the same on your forum- would you be so quick to judge?.
    We will respond to the said individual directly as appropriate and we will not be drawn on this matter further

Ichiban likes this.
  5. Dan ATR Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

The fact is... you are braking the law by not going about the request of removing personal information when requested by said person. Period. I don't want to rant over data legislation but I will if needed.

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Dan

I refer you to the below

Regards

The law states that we are only required under the Data Protection Act, to remove data that is known to be incorrect. As long as the data we are storing or store is being used for the means it was provided for and under the terms signed up for at the time of joining, then there are no rights governing the removal of an account along with content.

If there is anything public on show that may be ‘sensitive’ we may change or remove that under request, by discretion or as an act of goodwill.

Additionally I would point out the a clause in our privacy policy that’s states.

General FAQ Items

Content
    Upon transmission of user posts from a user's computer to our forum database, the sole owner of any material posts under said user's account becomes the site's property, all revocation rights are nulled and all copyrights are given to the site owners. Users requesting mass delete of their post or posting account will be turned away without further explanation. We at accordownersclub.co.uk do not delete user accounts because of the dire consequences it may have on our forum's database.

No further correspondence surrounding this will be entertained after this

SpeedyGee and SayamaAccord like this.
  7. toyracer69 Junior Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

London
    Deleting an account.

I started a thread on a member from the ATR Owners Club asking to close his account on here and whilst not going over the same points again can I ask why the thread I started was closed, when in my eyes the original problem was not finished nor sorted out. :Thumbup:

I was going to comment on what was said on that thread but since its been shut I can not and do not want to start on this thread about it as well.

Pete

8. delete account

hi guys just wondering how i can go about deleting my account. no particular reason just think there are better honda forum sites out there.

many thanks. kris

toyracer69 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.