In-Depth How to read and understand a genuine Honda Part Number

Discussion in 'Technical Articles' started by Ichiban, Wednesday 20th Jun, 2012.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    To many the alphanumeric characters on the parts slip means nothing but a physical representation of a part for easy access and easy location on a car. In the majority a lot of the customer just want the correct part for their cars and are not bothered as long as it does the job.

This thread is for all the enthusiasts out there who want to widen their Honda knowledge when it comes to parts. The Honda parts inventory is a minefield the sheer information will take you years to master and memorise. I know Lee & old Martin at Holdcroft speak in the middle code suffix which differentiates the models,both of them are wizard when it come to parts. It's their years of experience makes me a mere disciple and still learning something new everyday.

To someone like me who can decipher the part numbers,it brings me closer in understanding my Honda.I am sure when you get the hang of it you will be in a better position and have an enhanced visibility to which parts are used on other cars and their variations.To facilitate part searches, Honda dealers have EPC Electronic Part catalogues which has the entire inventory for the entire Honda stable.

Currently Honda dealers can search up to 1982 via the EPC, any Honda car outside this remit can be still searched only an on microfiche (My personal favourite) that is provided the dealer has not binned the film and the reader.

How to Decipher Honda Genuine Parts
    Honda General Parts

61100 - SAA - E00ZZ = (Front Fender)
    61100 = Function / Component number (location on Product / Model)
    SAA = Parts classification number / model (Model)
    E0 = Modification designation (Market Part is applicable for)
    0-9= Subcontractor / supplier designation (Modification / Supplier)
    ZZ = Primed (Metal/Plastic Part)
    OR
    ZA ~ on Colour Coded Part
    Honda Bolts, Nuts, Oil Seals and other Standard Parts

95701 - 06010 - 00 = BOLT FLANGE, (6 X 10)

95701= Function number / Type number (location on Product)
    6010 = Dimension (Read as 6 x 10) (Size of Part, if prefixed by a zero, drop the zero)
    0 = ISO (Meets International safety standards)
    0 – 9 = Chemical surface treatment (Type of coating / finish: ie plated/coated)

To give you an insight what happens in the background when you order your part at the dealers.The customer in the UK can be served from Honda Logistics in Swindon ,Gent in Belgium and some rare cases from Japan directly.

Have a look how the parts logistics process at Gent Belgium works, have a look at this clip from the 1990’s the process is more or less the same even today.

kotarou and legend-ary like this.
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Bump for others to catch this thread if they missed it.

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Another bump for this thread.

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Bump was asked this question by a fellow member via email, please search on the forum. Thanks.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    @tviracing this is what you were looking for.

6. kotarou New Member Getting Started

Brazil Alex São Paulo
    Great Topic.
    Like the VIN all the part number have a code behind it.

Ichiban, Do you mind If I translate, reference and post on FitFans about it?

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    There are guides in the guide sections How to Decipher the VINS. what is your model I can certainly do that

8. kotarou New Member Getting Started

Brazil Alex São Paulo
    Yes, About the VIN I can contribute too.
    I know that my information will be limited to Latin American, but I hope that's useful somehow. I'll check later.

About this topic Is there any problem to reference, translate and post on other foruns?

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    You can use the weblinks from here on your site :Wink: I can get South American info too.