General How to remove and replace engine mounts / radiator fans

Discussion in '4th Generation (2004-2012) [Acura RL]' started by not_a_doctor, Sunday 1st May, 2016.

1. not_a_doctor New Member Getting Started

United States Steve Boston
    Hi, all. First post here, and I'm wondering if anyone can share their experience with switching out the engine mounts. Side one is a breeze. Front one is annoying, and I hear the rear is a pain. I'm in the process of doing my front mount, and I can't get the driver radiator fan out of the way because of one cable at the very bottom. How's it done by you guys? Remove the plastic shield under the engine and get access to the bottom? Or do you move the air intake corner around and remove the wire from there? OR, do you just remove the entire radiator and fans as one?

Pic of the wire in question below. (Running along the bottom of the already slightly lifted fan with the grey connector.)

Attached Files:

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Hi @not_a_doctor, welcome to Honda Karma.

I've not worked on Legend/Acura RL but I'd say it's best to try and take the radiator out with the fans. Only taking the fans out you leave the delicate radiator fins open to damage as you work around that area with tools. Drain the system, get all the pipes disconnected, undo the clips that hold down the radiator, now try and get someone to lift the radiator whilst you try to unclip the wires (long nose pliers comes in handy here).

BTW would love to see what else you're doing to your RL, please do add it to the Club Garage

FAQ #10: How do I add my vehicle to the Club Garage?

3. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
  4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham