Off-Topic How to start giving tuition?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by Chunkylover53, Monday 2nd Jun, 2014.

1. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It's summer once again and I need money. For the past few years I've been dabbling with various "start-ups" which were all well and good but weren't a constant stream of income as they usually involved doing a high margin one off job and leaving it at that (building home servers, setting up home alarm systems, CCTV security for local firms and the like). So now I want to try my hand at giving tuition - I have tutored my sis for a while and she's doing a lot better than I was at her age (also in a top 10 state school :Grin:) so I'm thinking of giving tuition to kids up to and including GCSE.

Firstly what sort of documents would I require? I assume the criminal check (no idea what the real term is) but what else?

Also how would I actually start up - other than word of mouth I haven't got much to go on to be honest. Are there online services?

Are there any pitfalls as such - if there are any tutors here I would be most grateful for your insights.

Cheers for reading guys.

EDIT: I'm only going to be available till October too so how could I advertise my services, best I can think of is helping the kid prepare for the upcoming year. Maybe appeal to parents who really push their kids?
  2. Nels Moderator Staff Team

3. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

4. Nels Moderator Staff Team

You may need the Enhanced if working with children ?
    The education dept at the local council may be a good starting point for the checks they recommend.
    They may also hold a list of suitable/approved tutors, how to get on the list etc ?

Just a thought...
    Chunkylover53 likes this.
  5. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Liking the local council idea, gonna ring them tomorrow.
  6. Nels Moderator Staff Team

If that doesn't pan out, try the local schools/colleges directly ?
  7. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thought about it but my secondary school banned any sort of advertising - on top of that some teachers were very critical of students getting private tuition back then...
  8. Nels Moderator Staff Team

You'd have thought they would want to help the pupils get as high a grade as possible... performance contracts, school stats, league tables etc.

Good luck with the council tomorrow :Smile:
  9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Gumtree, card on the window in local shops, supermarket notice board etc with a note of any qualifications which are applicable.

Easiest way to figure out where to advertise is to pretend to be looking for a tutor yourself and see how you would go about finding one. Word of mouth would eventually kick in but if it's just a short term venture then scrub that.
  10. Nels Moderator Staff Team

11. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

They seemed very disinterested and just referred me to local libraries. I found a few sites that advertise on behalf of tutors that I may use though they charge the student to release the tutors details so I'll have to see how it goes. I need to install another CCTV system which should take a few days so I'm putting this on the backburner till then.