Service & Maintenance How to Track Day an Accord???

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Baz, Monday 29th Apr, 2013.

1. Baz Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm thinking of entering my car for the next R.A.F. Marham Charity Track Day....Hopefully to be held sometime late September/early October this year....I did the last one in a friend's car (And got a passenger ride in a spectacular special edition V8 Holden Commodore....170mph on the straight!), and now I want some action of my own....I have no space to keep a dedicated Track Car, so have decided to carefully prepare, and use my Accord.

Has anyone else ever "Tracked" a 7th Generation Accord, be it a diesel estate or otherwise? How did the car perform? What preparations did you make?

I'm intending to take two extra sets of wheels/tyres: The original 16" rims, which have new tyres, plus I'm going to find a set of 17" rims, and fit some decent part-worn track tyres to them....I don't want to risk ruining my lovely 18" Rotas, so they will remain in the paddock for the duration! The car will have an oil/filter change before and after the event. The brake fluid will be changed beforehand, and the brakes will be checked and renewed as necessary before and after.

I intend to use the car in standard trim for the first event, and assuming car and driver survive, will then consider making any modifications between subsequent Track Events, so that I can gauge their effects.

Would welcome any advice from any seasoned Track Day regulars that may be out there! :Wink:

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Tracking a front end heavy diesel will just kill the car IMHO .

3. richsprint Account Closed. ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hi Baz,

I'm selling my 8th Generation 17" alloys (2 have Goodyear Efficient grip tyres on) if you are interested PM me, or see my ad in the for sale section.

Regards

Rich

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    When I took my Gixer to Donnington I would tape up the headlight and registration plate and also got some handlebar and body protectors (obviously not necessary for you!) to protect from cracking if I came off (which I did). I reckon headlight protectors and perhaps something to protect the bonnet from chips?

5. Baz Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Really? Many people track many different front-heavy, front driven cars (Even Saabs!), and most seem to survive okay....The car I drove last time was an elderly Toyota Camry Auto (Admittedly not diesel), and it's done several trackdays with no problems....What in particular, are the issues you envisage? I understand that the car would need careful preparation, and that issues may arise, but I don't want to kill it! :Blushing:

Thanks Rich, but I'm afraid I'll be looking to pay less than half what you're asking....It's really just a case of finding some tatty (But straight, obviously) wheels, giving them a quick coat of paint (probably in some lairy colour!), sticking on some track tyres (Of which, hopefully, I already have a source), and off we go! I think yours are a bit too good....Thanks anyway.

Yes, thanks....I don't think it's a requirement (which is odd, as the trackday takes place on an active R.A.F. base) but yes, the lights/front plate will be taped over, in order to try and keep any debris attached to the car should the worst happen! Stonechips are a very real possiblilty at Marham: Our Camry took a bit of a pebbledashing from time to time, as the faster cars would come past and then resume the best line into the bend at the end of the straight, but I can touch-in any odd chips....I won't do what a chap in a TVR Chimera did, and totally mummify the front of my car....I'm sure he didn't pick up any chips, but it didn't 'arf look stupid! :Aghast:

6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Isn't there some sort of front clear spoiler you can get for the bonnet which deflect stone chips? Could be handy...

7. Baz Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I haven't seen that, but you can get a car "Bra" which covers the front edge of the bonnet (And some larger ones cover the front bumper aswell)....These are from about £35, and have the added benefit of looking (IMO) kinda cool....Something worth considering, thanks! :Smile: