Body, Paint & Styling How would one go about replacing two doors?

Discussion in '6th Generation (1997-2002)' started by Chunkylover53, Wednesday 1st Oct, 2014.

1. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

This is one my next projects, unlike the other I predict that it will take me till next summer so no rush for now.

Two of the doors have massive dents from around 5 years ago, they started rusting but I managed to stop it temporarily with filler + spray painting them but I need to change them.

Logically all I got to do is source 2 doors from breakers in silver, replace the door cards and fit the doors but I haven't a clue how to go about it and whether it is difficult.

I really want to do this by myself but I want to be confident that I can actually replace the doors before going about it - if I leave my car with a door missing or not locking then I might as well kiss it goodbye.

So I guess the question for now is.. how hard is it to swap the passenger and rear passenger side doors?

Thanks

2. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    The door itself should be easy, a couple of bolts to remove the hinges. The door card should be removable with a trim removal tool but I'm unsure if there's any screws on the 6th which need removing, @AndyB1976 can give you some pointers on that. The only other thing you'll need to do is unplug the wiring loom, some cars have the connector inside the rubber grommet in the door pillar itself, some have them behind the door card.

It kinda all depends on what you need to swap around, you might find doors complete with trim.

3. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    Physically refitting doors is easy, but they are a lot heavier than what they seem and they tend to be heavier on the hinged side (more metal). In my experience of stripping and rebuilding cars, if you unbolt them from the door itself and not from the A pillar, the replacement doors should align easier. Alignment of the doors is the most difficult. Swapping door cards and internals is really easy as long as you are patient and take your time. If you can, get someone to hold the door for you whilst you unbolt and bolt the new ones back on again. Its possible doing it yourself but its a real pain and you don't really want to drop it. Chances of being able to hold the door with one hand whilst you bolt it in with the other hand is really awkward. You can do it with floor jacks and stuff, but its much easier to borrow your son/wife/neighbour for 2 minutes and have them hold it. Make sure you strip the door down as much as you can before removing it. Removing the glass is quite easy too, remove the inner rubber trim which the window runs in, it will just pull out, unbolt (normally 2 10mm's) which holds the glass to its runner on the inside of the door and lift the glass out of the top of the door.

Alignment is a different story, and this is how I have always aligned car doors.

Every door will need alignment when replaced, even though its the same design. This is because there is always a bit of flexibility. The door will need to be adjusted, only by mm's normally, but its alot when trying to close a car door and have it sealed so wind and water don't get in. They can be adjusted in/out and up and down. I used to secure the doors with all bolts secured tight enough to just hold the door. There should be four bolts, two in each hinge. don't tighten them up fully. Test close the door and see how it fits. If you are lucky, it will align straight away, but chances are, it won't. Chances are, it will catch on the door catch on B pillar. You can adjust the door catch a bit but its not worth it as its a stable point which shows where the door needs to go. With the bolts just holding the door enough so it doesnt move by itself, you can get a bit of wood, put it on the hinge and knock gently in and out. Depending on the design of the door, you can also use this method to knock the door up and down. don't force it with your hands as tempting as it would be as you can damage the door (they really arent that strong when you tug on them) and pull the door out of shape.

Tap it, no need to whack it, push it to, see how it closes. When it starts closing properly and engaging on the latch, see how well it opens. You want it to catch the door catch dead centre as this will be allow it to open and close smoothly.

You are in London right? Im slightly north of you. If you want a hand mate........

EDIT:

Sorry mate, I have written that with my 3am brain on. If it makes no sense, let me know. I will be happy to help you mate if you need it.

Last edited: Wednesday 1st Oct, 2014
    Chunkylover53 likes this.
  4. AndyB1976 Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

United Kingdom Andy Aberfoyle
    Nighthawk likes this.
  5. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks for the replies guys. Removing door cards is not an issue - I replaced the speakers on my doors a while back so it should be a piece of cake.

Alignment as @Nighthawk describes frankly scares the s*** out of me. When I couple that with the fact that the door could end up being a slightly different shade to mine due to the different in production year it seems risky.

BTW @Nighthawk what you said makes perfect sense so thank you very much. I'm currently at uni which is where I'd prefer to change the door because it is a very safe area. My insurance reduced by £95 purely because I live at uni most of the time! I expect insurance to rise next year when I leave despite (hopefully) having an extra year of NCB;

Anywho I have a lot of food for thought - my plan now is to find a breakers yard that has silver Accord's. I got online quotes circa £100 but I have no idea what the exact colour is due to the age differences.

6. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    The alignment isnt scary mate, just a bit fiddly, finicky and requires patience. Like I said, if you need a hand, Il help you fit them.

Just had a quick search, quite a few scrappys around with your year/shape accord and same colour being stripped. Colour differences occur mainly due to the top lacquer coat fading. When you buff the car, you remove this top oxidated layer. So if you get a door the same paint code as yours, 14 years isnt really that old, and you buff the top oxidated layer off, the match SHOULD be pretty good.

Harvey likes this.
  7. Harvey Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

When it comes to adjustment on the Accord, there is loads compared to my old Astra let me tell you. I changed the door on that, on my own with no help, it was not fun. I used a trolley jack to support the weight of the old door coming off and the new door going on. However the design of those was completely different to that of the Accord. It had roll pins that held the door in place and not a whole lot of adjustment that could account for wear, meaning the doors drop.

8. Chunkylover53 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Thanks for the advice guys - as I said, I am going to put it off till next summer till I get my funds up.

@Nighthawk - thank you for your multiple offers of help, I'm pretty sure I will take you up on it as it seems like a daunting job. It genuinely all depends on money. I've spent over 2 grand on a car that my insurance firm values as 500 pounds so I'm a bit wary but I trust myself to keep the car going till I earn good money hence my ambition to fully fix it up.