Body, Paint & Styling HR-V Advice/help needed

Discussion in '1st Generation (1999-2006)' started by MickyB, Thursday 17th Oct, 2013.

1. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Ok guys as you all know after my wife's accident her HR-V was going to be written off.
    I decided not to go ahead with the claim and get the car repaired by other means.
    After a lengthy path we ended up with a guy who said he would repair the car and do the respray.
    Well the car was in all last week and I went to collect it on Monday only to find that he had not done all the work he said he would.The front upper crossmember was twisted, he said he would try and straighten it but didn't which annoyed me cause I had left my phone number and instructions that if he needed anything to give me a call as I had a guy who was stripping one for parts that I can get anything if needed. But he didn't call.
    He said he wanted another £100 to replace it. Not being too happy with his handy work (respray was ok) the rest was poor I said no to which he got a bit annoyed and demanded his money £180 I stood my ground firmly and said no way so after some bartering shouting (on his part) I got away with £60 for the front bumper and bonnet fully resprayed!!!
    So now the problem I need some help/advice please.
    Looking at the required work to complete this I believe I can do the job myself (photos below showing what's needed).
    The guy with the parts is cutting the required items out of one he has. This is because it is spot welded in places.
    I can't get anyone to do the spot welding for me so if anyone knows anyone around the Yorkshire area or someone who has a portable welding kit who could do this for me then I would be grateful if they could let me know. As it would be best welded into place.
    My second option is this I spoke to the guy who is stripping this down and he said in the past he has drilled out the spot welds on the replacements and then secured it with 10mm nuts and bolts.
    Just wondering people's thoughts on this.
    Looking at the offside headlight I think I may have to replace the upper bumper reinforcement bar as you can see the light is not fitting flush. I don't know if this is because of the damage to the crossmember.
    Any way comments, advice, help a welding kit would be much appreciated. :Wink:

image. image. image. image. image.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Micky, off to bed now as I have a splitting head but as a quick reply, I would say from the photos, looks like you just need to pull bumper support bracket into place, doesnt look like it needs replacing with one cut from another car. If it does then nuts and bolts will be fine for this, its just there to hold the bumper in position.

The cross member support could do with replacing and the broken headlight bracket (if you don't want to replace it) can be melted with a soldering iron or similar to fuse the broken bit to the headlight.

3. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I'm picking up the cross member support tomorrow cut from the donor vehicle. Until I get the lights out etc I won't know what's up behind the bumper so I'll keep you informed.

As for the headlight bracket the guy was supposed to have plastic welded it but as you can see he's made a right pigs ear of it.

4. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Well here's a little run down on the repairs.

First The bumper had to come off

image.
    This showed that the bumper support bar was damaged so that had to be sourced also.

5. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Donor parts.

Cross member. As this was cut from another car the welds had to be drilled out and the old metal removed before fitting
    image.

6. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

image. This shows the force of the impact on the bumper support bar.

7. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

image. Once all spot welds were out of the old cross member it was removed and the donor fitted and bolted in place

8. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Good work Micky :Thumbup:

Are you not going to spray the the upright ? That will be visible through the grills.

9. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yes I had to get the car back on the road but have still got some spray work to do once the weather is better. I want to try and get it done before the meet on May 18th if I do then I'll take it instead of my Type-S

10. accordheritage Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England York
    Fingers crossed it all works out. Hope it makes the show.

11. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Chris can you add the reg number as a possible alternative to my Type-S on the list. Or is it to late. I'll PM it to you
    Mick

12. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

image.
    Today is such a good day so I thought I'd try and put things into their normal colours.
    So I started by removing the damaged front left sport body panel and the end result looks like this got a little run using the lacquer but its better than it was.

13. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Then I moved to the centre body kit unfortunately I couldn't get it off so made a command decision to spray in situ.
    image.

14. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

image. Again I got a little over zealous with the lacquer only a tiny run. So seeing as I was on a roll I thought sod it in for a penny so taped and paper masked off I went for the big one and the result is GOLD

:Happy:

BB Baboonface, Ichiban and Nels like this.
  15. Nels Moderator Staff Team

You have been busy.
    From here, the match looks good.
    You've done well for spraying outside too.
    Ripping all the paper off is my favourite bit :Yahoo:

Looking forward to the big unveiling :Smile:

MickyB likes this.
  16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

That's looks like a top job Micky :Thumbup:

MickyB likes this.
  17. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Yep mine too. The Gold went on better than the grey and I think the lacquer was of better quality hence the good finish.

18. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Apart from the runs in the lacquer on the grey it's good for a beginner :Smile:....well I think so

19. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I've seen professionals get runs on lacquer, it's easily done.