HVAC HR-V air conditioning drive belt.

Discussion in '1st Generation (1999-2006)' started by breezer, Monday 7th Jan, 2013.

1. breezer Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Will it do any harm to leave off the air conditioning drive belt on my 2001 HR-V? We do not need air conditioning in Scotland and it must use fuel to run the belt.

Last edited: Monday 7th Jan, 2013
  2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Does the belt only drive the AC pump nothing else ?

If so you could remove the belt but beware that if you decided to ever get it reconnected the AC pump itself may need replacing as it may have seized.

I guess even if you don't use it, if you ever sold the car you would have to put the belt back on .. at which point the AC pump may not work or maybe noisy at so you will have to fork out for the replacement plus maybe labour. So factor that cost in against potential fuel savings.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Just looked it up and it would seem HR-V has a separate belt for the air-conditioner, separate belt of power steering pump and separate belt for the alternators:Aghast:

I would really like to know why Honda made it in such a manner :Blink: I would love to the see the crank pulley it must be big with three separate channels !!

The Power Steering belt.

Power Steering Pump Belt HRV.JPG

The Air-condition belt

AC Compressor Belt HRV.JPG

The Alternator belt

Alternator Belt HRV.JPG
    So the answer to your question it is possible but consult a technician as best practice.

4. breezer Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the replies. It is a strange set up having three seperate belts, bit of a pain as well as the alternator belt is closest to the engine, so the other two have to be removed to gain access. Also had to remove the full splash guard from front of vehicle. It certainly made a big job of what is normally an half hour task.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    If you have a sharp shear snip the belt off .

6. Ezeetrucker Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Baz Lincolnshire
    Not really sure if it would be worth the risk of having your AC compressor seizing. If you are not actually using the AC, and the compressor is not under load, the fuel saving would be I expect minimal.

7. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

That's right EzeeTrucker, the clutch on the AC Compressor ensures that compressor is not turned by the belt if the AC is not on. So as you say if the AC is not on you won't actually save much at all.

8. Ezeetrucker Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Baz Lincolnshire
    Makes a change to have someone agree with me, Wish my wife would take note:lol:

9. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Personally i run my AC a couple of times during the summer but would never consider removing the belt as Ezeetrucker has stated it won't work until you push the button on the dashboard.
    An surely you get some sunny warm days in Scotland???

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Also using AC in winter when the windscreen is misted up clears it up in a flash.