Engine & Gearbox HR-V HELP!!!

Discussion in '1st Generation (1999-2006)' started by northerner, Tuesday 26th May, 2015.

1. northerner New Member Getting Started

Scotland Ian Glasgow
    Hi there,

I am new to this site and I am wondering if there is anybody that can answer my question. I have 2 HR-V's one a X reg and the other a Y reg, the Y reg vehicle is in absolutely pristine condition, except for one small problem, I have blown the cylinder head gasket. This Y reg vehicle has VTEC engine and the X reg vehicle is not a VTEC. I understand that the manifolds, camshaft and rockers are different. I am wanting to know if I can simply change the VTEC parts over to the non VTEC engine and then put this engine in the Y reg car.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Welcome to Honda Karma @northerner :Hey:

I'd say you can't easily do what you are suggesting, it's not as simple as that.

3. northerner New Member Getting Started

Scotland Ian Glasgow
    I wish I could find the definitive answer, what I have established is that the cylinder head, pistons, con rods, flywheel, bore and stroke are the same, it appears that there are some differences with the crank, but what, nobody can tell me. The gearbox is the same. I was hoping that somebody had done something like this.
    - - - Updated - - -
    By the way, thanks for the welcome, much appreciated.

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I wouldn't try and make a mish mash out of the two. The cam profiling will be different, which would indicate different tuning, you maybe able to transplant the whole non VTEC engine in, if you bring across the whole wiring loom and ECU as well.