Engine & Gearbox HR-V Prop Shaft Centre Bearing

Discussion in '1st Generation (1999-2006)' started by pikeman, Thursday 15th Sep, 2016.

1. pikeman Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Nick Guisborough
    Hi all just got an MOT advisory for my HR-V 1600 2003 model, wear in the prop shaft centre bearing.

It is not bad however I am going to change it.

Can anyone point me to where I can get one?

My garage man says "dealer part"................ anyone know better?

Thanks

2. legend-ary Moderator Staff Team

United Kingdom Legend The Big Smoke
    You can contact our partners @Holdcroft Honda for that.

However you won't be able to avail the club discounts as you need to be at club member rank to get that.

3. pikeman Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

They cannot get one, can anyone else help?

Surely there is a bearing supplier somewhere?

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Nick how has his progressed?

5. pikeman Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

No joy. I am thinking, cam you only get this as a unit (ie prop shaft and bearing) - does anyone know? There are a few from scrap yards but trouble is, will they be worn as well. I told the guy at the garage that it was not a problem cos its oly part time 4WD but he said no its full time 4WD?

6. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  7. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

8. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    Must be quite bad to fail an MOT. Depends on the garages understanding of the MOT test and of the brand/car itself. Each tester will have there own opinion on what is (excessive) and therefore a fail. It's maddening really but something that you or I would say should fail an MOT test generally doesn't. I.E a tyre can be bald on the edges but if the central 3/4 has 1.6mm of tread it's happy days. Likewise with discs. They can be fully corroded. So long as there not cracked or have visually failed/ very thin etc. If the brake efficiency is ok. It's a pass for you. I've never replaced a prop centre bearing or support. But I'm not doubting it needs replacing. As a fly on the wall I would be interested to see what the garage is seeing and as to why they failed it on an MOT test.

9. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

To be honest over the 12 years that I owned my HR-V I watched it go through every test but never saw the tester check the prop shaft.

10. pikeman Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hey folks it was an MOT ADVISORY, not a fail. Did not even think it came under the test, not being a safety feature - a bit like the clutch . Am I correct in thinking that the bearing and shaft are one unit?

11. Beefy Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom Stoke
    As far as I was aware, they don't come separate?

12. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

13. pikeman Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks. Nearly fell off my chair........cost from "Lings" is........ £2,744.44!!