HR-V seized engine replacement and heard of rover engines fitting? help!!!

Discussion in '1st Generation (1999-2006)' started by simon ducker, Wednesday 18th Feb, 2015.

1. simon ducker New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom simon birmingham
    Hello all, new member here looking for advice. my 2000 w reg HR-V 1.6 2WD engine seized because im an idiot and only bought it the day before taking it on a long drive and didnt check the oil. i think? anyway, the aa man that towed me said something about rover 216 engines are the same and as hrvs are getting rarer then it might be cheaper to get one of those? I've found a HR-V engine i think on ebay with 88k on the clock but its miles away and can't pick up. I love my new HR-V and wanted one since i was a teen. i know im an idiot but please help me, the one I've just bought is in mint condition and i love it to bits. thanks![its the one in the picture! do i get an engine and from where and is it the same in the rover? im desperate, i love my HR-V. also any other things i should check for?

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    quote removed.

Hi Simon and welcome to HK on not to happy times. Personally I would look for a donor engine from another HR-V fella.

3. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I think the HRVs are a D16A engine so you want something like this :-

- - - Updated - - -
    You can get an engine delivered on a pallet, usually cost about £50

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    The UK spec HR-Vs have a couple of different D16 variants, there's a proper VTEC version and a standard. The D-Series platform is really easy to swap about with others, and it's also pretty easy to swap to a B-Series, that gives you the option of the B16/B18 Type-R engines (150-180hp) or a B20 1st Generation CR-V engine (far more torque than a D16 and would suit the HR-V better).

Swapping engines from other models might sound like it's insanely complex and costly, but it's a regular practice in the scene and a good few places throughout the country who deal with these swaps regularly. On the labour side you're only looking at a few hundred, the cost of the engine (and perhaps loom/ECU depending on what you choose) can be from a couple of hundred, up to £800 or so for the engines mentioned.

There were two D16 variants used in models in the Rover 200 series, but frankly I see that being pointless route as there's many other options available - the Rovers are way rarer than the HR-V and other D/B-Series Hondas :Laughing:

5. simon ducker New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom simon birmingham
    guys, i really appreciate your time and advice. im trying to decifer whats been said and looked at the ebay link, thankyou so much. i don't think i shall go the rover route as you are the people that know and im here for advice. I've seen an engine for £300 on ebay but its in sunderland and im in birmingham. the midlands auto link posted from ebay has been very very helpful. i think mine is a standard but if im going to swap, maybe an upgrade? depends on cost as im skint and have to save. sorry to be a nause but if anyone can give me advice on where to get one or should i ask a main dealer about 2nd hand engines or anything?? sorry guys, what i know about cars and engines you could write on the back of a stamp, i just love my HR-V.

6. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I know Honda did slap some of their engines into Rovers, but as the above has said, I would source an engine from another HR-V. Not just about the engine physically fitting, its also about the ECU communication with it etc.

To be honest, the three guys above are some of the most knowledgeable on the site in relation to ripping out and changing engines so the advice from them is sound.

Good luck mate, hope you get her back on the road soon.

7. John Dickson Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Hello Simon welcome to HK :welcome:

Sorry we're not meeting you on a happier note. I hope you can get this sorted as it's clear you love the HR-V. Please let us know how you get on. :goodluck:

As @Nighthawk says @Ichiban @SpeedyGee and @DeviateDefiant are the some of the most knowledgeable people on HK and probably the whole Honda forum scene generally so their advice is spot on as always.

SpeedyGee likes this.
  8. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I wouldn't worry too much about the location of the engine you want to source, Paisley Freight can pick it up and deliver it wherever it needs to go.

The cost of sourcing an uprated engine with ancillaries (alternator, manifold, power steering), swapping over the loom and ECU could run a grand quite easily on the cheap end of the scale (a CR-V B20) including labour, it would almost be worth sourcing a donor car for.

If keeping costs down is a big concern I would recommend sticking with the D-Series engine like you current have for ease, the simplest method is just replacing the original with a like for like, as with the one found by @SpeedyGee. That way it's minimal research and chucking it in is a safe bet.

A dealership can't help you with a second-hand engine unfortunately.

Definitely not that brushed up when it comes to the older engine series, but I like to think we can help! :Smile:

9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Something else you could do is search ebay for "breaking honda HR-V" you'll see there's fair few being broken.

Send those sellers a message asking if they have a good engine. You should be able a good price this way.

Nighthawk and DeviateDefiant like this.