Service & Maintenance HR-V - What to look out for?

Discussion in '1st Generation (1999-2006)' started by GavTS, Tuesday 18th Sep, 2012.

1. GavTS Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm going to look at 2001 HR-V on Saturday for herself, is there anything I should look out for? common faults, known issues etc etc.

I looked at one last week, but the seller was a total dousche, the HR-V was no where near as described in his add he had even used other pictures of a HR-V that was in way better condition. I'm sorry I didn't take a test drive just as a benchmark of really poor example but the seller was way too much of a cowboy to even entertain.:Angry:

Anyway...

Any info you may have is greatly appreciated. ( Never owned a Honda until 3 weeks ago, now we could be a 2 Honda house ):Smile:

Last edited: Tuesday 18th Sep, 2012
  2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I have little or no exposure to the HR-V infact I have never driven one. So this is a shot in the dark.

I have not seen mass scale issues on HR-V other than normal routine wear and tear. I know Mick's HR-V had a rattly catalytic convertor, he has to change it to stop the rattle , it was still passing the emission test at MOT . he changed it to shut the car up on idling.

From personal exposure to Honda people and information can see the GH2 GH3 GH4 had a Warranty Extension for the CVT gearbox, it used to judder when starting.

That it really,you will need to wait for Mick to get an owners perspective of owning the car.:Thumbup:

3. GavTS Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thanks for that, Honest John says the same :Smile: Honda HR-V 1999 - Car Review | Honest John

I'm not going near a auto slush box, it appears to be one thing Honda have dropped the ball on. But I hate Autos in general unless its in a proper 4X4. Cracked windscreen wouldn't bother me too much. I know a guy that knows a guy who knew this other guy that claimed on his insurance......... I'm not condoning such behavior I'm just saying I know a guy.

Its great the Mrs is actually excited about looking at the HR-V, this could be the one to finally drag her out of her beloved Yaris. :Bye:

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    What's your budget for the HR-V ? There are loads if good examples with low mileage out there but you have to be carful for corrosion ridden undercarriages .

5. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just a quick one for you stay clear of the two wheel drive models. I was told when I got mine that they have a lot of problems with them.
    Yes my cat did rattle but I picked up a new one from a scource and had no problems.
    If I'm honest and I always am mine is a 99 t reg and apart from the cat the only other problem I have had was a knocking at the back end which turn out to be a loose bolt from when I changed a rear anti roll bar drop link and hadn't tightened it fully. Yes I was embarrassed.
    Anything else you want to know I'd be more than happy to try and answer your questions.

Last edited: Saturday 27th Oct, 2012
  6. GavTS Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sorry forgot to update this.
    Herself wasn't too keen on the HR-V and in fairness the interior wasn't in the best condition - huge stains on the back seats and fag burns on the driver seats. :Angry:

So the hunt continues - Honda Jazz or Toyota Carrola hatch back on the hit list now. I'd go for the Jazz if it where my choice.

7. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Just wondering if you are still looking for an HR-V?
    It took me a long time to get what we wanted, we looked at a lot some very poor examples (real piles of poo) then we found ours at a private dealer. It had been fitted with some good extras one being full navy blue leather, it had two previous lady owners a full service history so it was in very good order. So if you are still interested keep looking one will come along. But remember they are a quite dated vehicle now. Not sure when they stopped making them ? CJ will know this!

8. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    The HR-V in my opinion was launched when the market was not ready for a subcompact SUV with 4 wheel drive. Look it now this segment is booming and Honda is re-entering the small SUV market shortly.

I hope they call the new subcompact HR-V. The market share of the first HR-V was poor and the looks divided a lot of opinion.

Yet again prime example Honda had the pioneering vision of the market but the timing was wrong.

MickyB likes this.
  9. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Oh by the way can I have mine parked back in the garage sometime soon Please:Wink:

10. accordheritage Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England York
    IMAG0192. If someone is looking for a good H.

Avoid the auto

Check for rot, 3 door arch and sills, boot lid
    5 door sills and rear doors, boot lid

None were undersealed by the factory. My old 05 reg was very iffy for underseal and if I hadn't traded it in the rust devils would have bitten and money spent. The sills were starting to blister, so were the doors and rear arches.

Rattly exhausts were common, also look for lag in rpms between 2 to 3 thousand. Could be a sign of a collapsed cat or a cylinder misfire. Can cause the engine check light to come on.

Brake pipes rot at the rear union and on the rear axle

Interior is simple all one colour unless it was pre 2001 and leather was an option.

One engine D16 not quick but revvy. Can be thirsty. Usually 320 miles to a 60 pound fill.

Tax is currently £280 for a post 2001 model

I owned one with all these issues don't get burned. I loved it but I'm far happier in my Accords

Doesn't matter about colour. HR-V paint can be thin in places.

Check aircon it can go flat easy regas though.

Wheels also get very shabby little 16s do take some stick in bad weather.

Last ones were on a 55 reg and you see the odd 06 reg if you look. They started in s reg 1999

Good luck if you go for one. Any questions pm me.

Last edited: Saturday 8th Mar, 2014
    Ichiban likes this.
  11. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

You must have bought a Friday afternoon model.
    Mines a 99 T reg .... Rust not a patch!! Exhaust rattle mine was a Cat replacement which was done at 13 years old.
    Nothing untoward on the underside. The alloys are 16 inch and are only just showing signs of their age.
    As for engine lag between 2-3k you have to remember that this a big heavy car with a small engine especially the none V Tec acceleration isn't F1 standard so therefore if you want a car that will do 0 to 60 in 8 seconds or so then get an S2000. I have always found the HR-V to be a fun vehicle very sturdy and reliable I've past many a range rover struggling in the snow.
    I've had my HR-V for 13 years now and both my wife and I love it to bits.

12. accordheritage Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England York
    Yeah probably, it's gone to another home now. I'm Accord through and through. Was a good 2nd car though.

13. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

This was my wife's car but when the accord came along it became the general use go to work car but its a good workhorse and really enjoyable to.

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Sunny old Scarborough in the background , was there last weekend on my bike there is no charm left in the place its as bad as Blackpool , went straight to Harborough, Brid, Whitby and Filey and back it was perfect weather.

15. MickyB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Why didn't you give me a shout I was up the North Bay on Sunday afternoon in the Watermark Cafe