Tyres & Wheels Humming noise

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Irishgooner, Thursday 23rd Oct, 2014.

1. Irishgooner Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kell Ireland
    Hi guys just looking for some info recently acquired another 7thgen Type-S but have noticed really bad road noise in it sounds like bearing noise jacked up car checked for play and noise none found I'm hoping it's not bearings as car has only 41500 miles on clock . Noise is different on different road surfaces never the same constant noise ie can be driving at between 30/40mph and noise quite loud and then at 60mph and not as loud if ye can follow kinda depends on road surface. How must admit tyres on the car at the moment are cheap brands anybody suffered bad road noise with cheap tyres???

2. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I did think tyres first to be honest, any chance of uploading a video of the noise?

Ichiban likes this.
  3. Irishgooner Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kell Ireland
    Ya no problem won't get a chance till tomorrow afternoon ya I seem to be drawn towards tyres too just the fact noise seems to change with road surfaces and fact tyres are not a good brand and actual mileage on car. I have also notice that the thread design in on these tyres is like a v which I'm told could cause higher road noise than normal

4. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    What brand of tyres do you have on them at the moment? Gen 7s can be quite fussy

5. Irishgooner Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kell Ireland
    Ah there complete shite tyres that came on the car when I bought it wanli on the front and autoguard on the back I think I'm planning on taking them off anyway but hoping there to blame for the humming noise

6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I definitely change the tyres and even if that doesn't sort the noise it's still going to be worth doing. Also maybe worth getting the alignment done as the seventh gen is prone to tramlining. There is a revised tolerance released for the alignment specs which is tighter, worth doing as it sorted mine out.

7. Irishgooner Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Kell Ireland
    Ya definitely gonna start with the tyres I be nearly sure it's them is there anywhere I can get those alignment specs

8. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    The garage should have them in their database. I had a thread on it a long time ago when the forum was AOC, I'll see if I can dig it out.

Nighthawk likes this.
  9. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    Just recently bought a 7th Generation myself and find the same thing with the tyres and as you say varies over different road surfaces, dealer I bought mine from stuck a couple BCT S600 's on the front cheap and nasty I think!LOL so will probably change those at some point in the near future.
    Cheers Pete

Nighthawk likes this.
  10. Nighthawk Guest

just saying this in general and not aimed at anyone. I know money is tight for everyone at this time of year, but go for the very best tyres you can afford. They are the only thing keeping you on the road and keeping your family safe in emergency maneouvers. 4 small bits of rubber making contact with the road, i personally like making sure those contact points are as good as possible.

11. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    The first timei appreciated good tyres on a car was on my 6th Generation Accord, i stuck some super sticky Energy ones on and it was fantastic! They wore out fast though.

Vredestein Sessanta were very reasonably priced and the tyres were stickier than a tyre rolled through a vat of honey and tree sap but I think they are quite limited in their size availability.

Last edited: Friday 24th Oct, 2014
  12. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    I've had two 7th Gens that came with cheap tyres, both were noisy, one set whined above 60mph. Replacing them sorted it, and predictably transformed the handling too.

13. Nighthawk Guest

@Irishgooner , did you manage to get time to record the whining from the tyres at all?

14. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    What make of tyres did you fit on mate, to quieten it down?
    Cheers pete

15. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I've got Michelin Primary 3 XLs on mine, absolutely superb performing tyres but I did manage to pop one. My next will be either Pilot Sport 3 (thicker side walls) or Goodyear Eagle F1s (used by many other members).

Whatever you go for, always buy reinforced for the 7th/8th Generation (helps with tracking/tram-lining issues they're both prone to), and only from the premium brands if you can afford it.

16. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    My Pilot Sport 3's on the front have worn out. I think they only lasted something like 18K miles. I need something that will last longer as I can do that in under a year easily.

17. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

See for me 18k miles is fine, it's more about what performs best. Might be best to start a thread and ask other high mileage members what they've got on best with.

18. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Good point, will do.

19. Old Cruiser Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

pete slough
    Think that was what was on mine when I went to view it , but pretty worn hence the dealer replacing with BCTs600's mind you one thing I will say I'm not getting any tramlining with these, just noisy!
    Cheers Pete

20. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

They perform very well in all conditions, not that I advocate it but the cars stable at well above 100mph with them :police: