Suspension, Steering and Brakes Humming noise

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by Sandyman68, Monday 28th Mar, 2016.

1. Sandyman68 New Member Getting Started

United Kingdom Alex Oxford
    Hi I've recently bought an 06 FR-V and very pleased with it. However I noticed a humming noise soon afterwards. It's as though 2 bits of metal are rubbing together to produce a kind of really annoying drone from 20 mph on- at motorway speeds it's not noticeable because there's too much road noise to assess whether it's still there. Applying the brakes makes no difference to the noise...please help it's driving me mad!

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It could be binding brakes ? touch the wheels after a drive and see if they are red hot.

3. Sandyman68 New Member Getting Started

Thanks but wouldn't applying the brakes make the noise disappear in that case?

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I'd get each wheel jacked up and see what happens when you turn it by hand.

Bones126 likes this.
  5. Sandyman68 New Member Getting Started

OK I'll try that

6. DrSam Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    Hi, I had a similar issue. The bearing on my Hub went so i replaced the hub on the driver side. I diagnosed the issue the way @SpeedyGee recommend.

Jack the car up and turn the wheel by hand.

Bones126 likes this.
  7. Sandyman68 New Member Getting Started

Cheers DrSam- someone else told me that it's probably a bearing. Any ideas how much to replace on one wheel? Should I have it done at Honda or a regular mechanic?

8. DrSam Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Sam Birmingham
    I had a local mechanic to replace it, honda prices was extortionate. It cost me about £60 for the bearing and £30 labour. Some mechanics will get you to replace the whole hub which can cost a bit more.

Bones126 likes this.
  9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    @Sandyman68 not all wheel bearing drone lie sounds are actually wheel bearings that need replacing.

When did last have 4 wheel alignment checked on your FR-V ? They are known to develop negative camber, this coupled with the wear it inflicts on the inner edges of the wheels cause like a wheel bearing drone.

I would have 4 wheel alignment checked if I were you.

10. RobsyUK Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Rob Milton Keynes
  11. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Like @SpeedyGee says, it could be tyre noise through camber or tracking too. This would explain why it does change when braking, FR-V are know to wear tyre unevenly when the tyre treed gets low, mine does and I have heard from others this happens. My new tyres when fitted made the car really quiet.