HVAC HVAC bulb died

Discussion in '8th Generation (2008-2015) [Acura TSX]' started by marcg, Sunday 22nd Dec, 2013.

1. marcg New Member Getting Started

Hi,

The bulb in the passenger temperature switch seems to have died (the switch itself is ok, temp adjustment works fine). I googled it and found that bulbs in these are not replaceable and Honda will have to replace the whole control unit which is not cheap. I also found instructions how to take the the unit out of the dashboard and I am comfortable doing this but what next? Back in a day, in a different japanese car I was using one of these 12V Wire Terminal Type | Maplin as replacement and they worked pretty well but my worry is whether I can dismantle the HVAC unit? Has anyone done this before? I will not sleep knowing something isn't right :Smile:

20131221_190038.

Thank you and Merry Christmas!

2. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hello and welcome please do take the time to introduce yourself to others when you need help. If you don't either way you will get the information you need for the quick fix.

Please don't trust google for everything its as good in what you type as a keyword, and life is not run by keywords. :Wink:

You can get replacement LEDs item 6 in the image
    B__1700.

The part number for this LED is 79671STKA01 BULB, NEO WEDGE (14V 0.05A) retail cost is £4.37.

I would avoid Maplin LEDs which are cheaper but get the new LED from Honda, if you do for the Maplin one they will be brighter than the right one. It will stick out like a sore thump unless you get the same specification which I doubt you will.

if you are not a perfectionist then ignore the advice and save your few quid.

3. marcg New Member Getting Started

Thank you! I am definitely perfectionist so will get the Honda ones. Out of interest, if there are only 2 bulbs for the entire unit, how come only one switch died, and not half the unit?

4. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    They have plastic optical galleries to emit light evenly :Wink:

5. julekasMobilek Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lithuania Julius Vilnius
  6. julekasMobilek Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lithuania Julius Vilnius
    Hello guys, just FYI, I have changed my HVAC bulbs, they were both blown.
    I can guarantee that they're 12volts.

Also you can buy a 14volts bulb, which will be dimmer, and also will last much longer than a 12volt bulb.

Anyway, i suggest you to use a LED instead of convenient bulb, because it will last forever and are much much brighter. It is 12 volts also.

To change it, you should follow up a DIY, where man changing into double din fascia installation, where he removes a HVAC control unit.
    Then take it out, and from the back of it, there will be a two sockets, where bulbs are screwed in. Take them both out, and insert with a LED ones.

The white part of the bulb is socket. Wind out old bulb pins from it, and wind it with new inserted bulb.
    2016-06-07 21.22.33. 2016-06-07 21.22.49. 2016-06-07 21.27.40. 2016-06-07 21.27.46. 2016-06-07 22.20.46.

P.S. Also check a bulb condition in your ash tray and ciagrette lighter, they are also weak, and can blow. It is the same job to take it out all the trim, but bulbs are different than HVACs.
    - - - Updated - - -
    By the way, LED bulbs connectros are much thicker than a bulb, when you wind up LED pins on the socket, take a pliers and try to squeze the winded part on bulb's socket. It will be easier to screw back in the LED bulb.