General Hybrid loyalty is waning

Discussion in 'Hybrid Variants' started by Ichiban, Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  2. Blue Guru Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Thats america though, if they were paying what we pay for fuel you'd see everyone buying hybrids guaranteed. I'd love a CR-Z, mainly for the looks and decent MPG, lol

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    CR-Z is not practicle for a lot of people due to the lack of rear space it is a two seater, and my opinion it’s aimed for the London market.

Congestion charge exempt and perfect for the London streets and business who need to trade in that zone. Other than that it looks cool but until you do the bisimoto or Mugen modifications it won’t get anywhere quick.

4. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Work colleague bought Honda Insight Hybrid few weeks ago and is happy with it so far plus he got 5 year warranty.
    I would be tempted to go for Hybrid if they ever make Accord version.

5. Abbey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

USA
    In some American cities, they're paying over $4.00 per gallon. But still I've heard that many areas of the UK and Europe gas prices are even higher. As you say, it's easy to complain. Especially when the alternatives are so much cheaper. Still much better for the environment to buy a hybrid or car that uses alternative fuel.

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Beverly UK gas prices are £1.30 per litre, that's $9 per gallon !!

7. Abbey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

USA
    wow! That's an insane lot of money to be paying for gas. Seriously if our gas prices were so high, most Americans would bike to work. I have always felt that most Americans are spoiled on gas prices. You can't imagine the uproar that happens when there's a little hiccup in gas prices here. It's all over the news and people really do throw public tantrums over it. And, i wonder how the rest of the world copes.

8. Abbey Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

USA
    To be honest, the public tantrums don't reduce prices over here either. This is our way of coping. Well at least most people's way. As for myself, i invested into a very fuel efficient Accord which gets great gas mileage. And, haven't thought another thing about high gas prices since as i'm not saddled with my old gas guzzler anymore. I'd recommend others do the same.

9. vzh7gk Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Graham Cheltenham
    I could be tempted by hybrids, to replace the diesel shopping trolly (Polo), but are they really taht much better on fuel than just buying a smaller engined petrol car... Have seen a few 10 year old and newer on Autotrader and just wondering, how good they were? Also whether servicing costs are higher than just a petrol engine?
    Curiousity as ever. In particular, not knowing a great deal about the technology, how, in simple terms, do they work?

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I assume the premise is along the lines of when running on petrol, the generator generates and stores electricity in the big batteries in the car. When power demand is low, the electric motors power the car along from the stored electricity.

Personally I would stay away from older hybrids,
    a) the technology was in its early phases at the time
    b) overall you don't actually get that much ecomony (electric motors can't push the car at higher speeds, so on long runs you're mostly running on petrol anyway.
    c) I would imagine it would be very expensive to repair these cars.

If you're after economical running but don't want a diesel then LPG converted car is a viable alternative.

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hybrids have been out since late 90's mate, so it’s hardly in its early phases of development. it just the concept has never been glamorised nor has radical development taken place to keep it engaging with the masses.

Honda IMA motors have been radically changes 4 times since its birth CVT gearbox are getting more and more efficient but still not enough. Unless you take a leaf of of Tesla’s books and make a middle way solution it will sell. Hybrid batteries live for approx 10-12 years and batteries will become better and cheaper it’s a matter of time, so expense of repairing is not true.

LPG well it never been mainstream like hybrids, unless legislation changes in their favour you and I will say these technologies are poor. Remove the diesel favouritism let people really know how cancerous and dangerous they are to our health ... in Europe tax them higher than petrol they will be pieces of lead in no time.

Now that will be music to my ears.

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

I was talking particularly about buying an older hybrid and that rather than doing that it would be a better option be to look at LPG.

You're talking more generally and more about current developments.

Ichiban likes this.
  13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Here have a look these clip to understand how IMA works

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Either way you would find a lot of the first gen Insights , so all the other hybrids are modern ones think about it.