Off-Topic Hyundai release ix35 Fuel Cell

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by exec, Wednesday 6th May, 2015.

1. exec Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom London
    Honda have been doing fuel cells for 30 years, and they have been beaten to the market by an upstart. Why have they become so late to the game?

Should be interesting times ahead though, I would love to see how these drives as I was impressed by electric motor in the Toyota hybrid I tried out.

2. FirstHonda Premium Member Club Supporter

^^I agree @exec

With all the fuss about diesel, petrol/hybrid and electric look to be sensible options for the near future. And yet Honda UK has phased out the CR-Z and Insight...

Hopefully they'll regain some ground soon. They need to, as Toyota/Lexus, Mitsubishi, Renault & even now Hyundai look to be grabbing/have grabbed the initiative.

3. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    [And yet Honda UK has phased out the CR-Z and Insight...

[/QUOTE]
    This was a European decision (Honda Motor Europe). HUK has got no influence on this.
    The reason: losing to much money with every car that's sold. Only Toyota is capable to run break even with hybrid cars.

4. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I'm toying with going down the company car route because I'm now sick to death of used cars and not knowing how previous owners have treated them (looks like my ps pump is now on its way out). But looking at Honda I'm struggling to see anything which is suitable.

As much as I hate German cars their specs stack up well for business leasing. Take the C350e Estate, 5% bik rate, 100% against p&l if contact hire or 100% wda if HP or outright purchase and 0-60mph in 6 seconds. Doesn't matter if they've cheated with emissions etc because the official figure is all that matters to HMRC.

BMW hybrid 3 may not be as emissions friendly as the merc but has storming performance whilst still keeping the emissions low and better than many diesels.

The Japanese, Outlander PHEV, again a 5% bik rate and performance isn't bad all things considered. Decent ev range considering the size of it and proven to be achievable.

Back to Europe, volvo have a similar spec rival to the merc.

I know hybrids aren't perfect and you'll struggle to achieve the quoted mileage but they are very attractive to businesses and employees and that's a big market.

Where is Honda?

5. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Big market? Joking? Every constructor is losing money right now on hybrid cars.
    It's more a matter of image to have them in the range and making the best of it moneywise.
    I know it will change in the future and we all know Honda can do it in a good way (if they want to).

6. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Company cars is a big market I was saying.

7. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    Maybe in UK? And different laws in every country, different taxes, etc...
    What a market.
    The market to go for is China, India, ... Not UK, Belgium.... or the rest of Europe. You need to look further than your own street.

8. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    No I don't need to look beyond my own street because laws in other countries don't effect me. The UK is still a big market but that aside I would prefer Honda to lead the way but it doesn't feel like that anymore.

Other manufacturers can manage a strong presence in the UK and Europe and other places in the world and still make the sales.

9. i-DSI Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Belgium Aalst
    UK a big market? For Honda Motor Japan, the whole of Europe is nothing more or less than peanuts. There's the possibility they're still here just for brand image. They're not here for the money, there's no sales in Europe and no growth to be expected (whole of car market).
    There are only 2 'big' existing markets for Honda worldwide: USA and Japan. And the growing markets (China, India...) have their full attention. That's the place to be, not UK. Might be hard to accept, but it's the reality.
    Honda is doing very well in these other markets. It's only in Europe they're not selling.

10. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I said the UK is still a big car market.

11. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I'm reading that eu car sales in 2014 are over 12M and in the US it was around 16M and sales in China are slowing. The eu is hardly peanuts, maybe for Honda but whose fault is that?

If Honda can't be bothered with the eu or UK then that's up to them but others are managing fine.