Service & Maintenance I-CDTI Front Caliper Slider Pin Bolt

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Accord_N22, Wednesday 20th Aug, 2014.

1. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hi All

Quick question, going to be stripping the brakes soon on my facelift I-CDTI but just wanted to make sure I have all the tools before I go ahead with the job.
    I noticed from one of the guides that the front calliper slider bolt is a hex/allen 7mm
    Can anyone confirm this?

I have the Halfords professional socket but I fear I may need to buy a size specific for the Honda front calliper

Thanks guys

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    @Nels can you answer this ?

3. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

I can't remember off the top of my head and won't be home till Friday night hopefully you'll have an answer before then as I too use the Halfords pro stuff and I'm not 100% sure but I think I did buy one but it will have been 4yrs ago.

4. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

5. Nels Moderator Staff Team

@Accord_N22, just caught up with this.
    The Halfords set above is the one I bought too. Good quality, readily available and worked a treat.
    I'm pretty sure it was the 7mm hex that I used. (Based on this DIY)
    That set did have the correct size in it.
    I didn't write it up, as the guide above had already been posted. I did add my photos to my car discussion pages.
    If you have anymore questions, just ask.

6. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Hi @Nels
    Thanks for that, I had another look at the tool set and the 7mm hex is in the red little box and has the adapter too.
    Only 1/4 inch though but should be ok providing it doesn't give me trouble.
    Why couldn't Honda use a standard bolt like all other Honda calipers. lol
    Thanks nels. Shall browse your photos

7. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Give the sliders a good greasing before you refit them and you'll have no problems next time.

8. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

Thanks nels
    Will do.
    Will be using silicon threebond grease
    Just used that stuff on the Preludes calipers slider pins and they work really well

9. Nels Moderator Staff Team

I have been keeping an eye on what others use in case I should alter the grease I have.
    I try and get these jobs done in the better weather. No fun when you can't feel your fingers. :Messed:

10. Accord_N22 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

I saw a post that ichban posted up about finding a new silicon grease and he went for the threebond so I thought I would give it a go.
    Yep, need to get the brakes on the accord done before the we start to lose the light in the evenings, got a few other things to do on the Prelude aswell.
    Also the Accord needs another service, almost covered 6k miles already since April - Eeeeeek.

11. Nels Moderator Staff Team

Often feel like we're running hard, only keep up with things.

12. Japseye Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I'm needing to remove my brake pads but unsure of what size hex I need to remove the top half of the calliper, anybody know? cheers.

13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It's 6 IIRC its been 9 years since I last touched a 7th Generation with stock brakes. I could be wrong but 6 rings a bell.

14. Japseye Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I've read it could be a 7mm but again the author wasn't sure, I thought it would be more like an 8mm.

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Moving this thread to what you have read.