Engine & Gearbox i-CDTi Remap Discussion (Superchips, Celtic Tuning)

Discussion in '1st Generation (2004-2011)' started by chris2982, Wednesday 24th Sep, 2014.

1. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Chris Rowlands Gill
    Has any one put a superchips on their 2.2 diesel and if so what we're your findings.
    I am not looking for the power side of it. . More the fuel economy.
    Used to getting 60 to the gallon and after my first day in the FR-V leaving me with 36.

Thanks.
    Chris.

2. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

3. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    My biggest concern with using someone else to remap my car is if there's problems and I want my original map back on I need to rely on them to have kept it and still be in business. With the MPS I could use Cobb Access and be in full control, I think there's one or two you can get for the Honda (check with @DeviateDefiant). Other concerns are the mapper knowing what they are doing, extra stress being put on the clutch and turbo etc. I'm been considering it with the CR-V but then even if I get it mapped for economy, how long will it take me to recover the costs of the remap?

As for these chip boxes you can get, I remember reading up on all these chips and I'm sure a lot of them simply trick the system into adding more fuel or something and basically screw your car.

4. chris2982 Premium Member Club Supporter

I was thinking of using superchips as they seem to have been around for a long time so I would hope that they know what they are doing. .
    And as for how long to get the money back I am expecting to be keeping the car for a very long time so hopefully will get to see some benefit ..
    Superchips charge around £320 for the job which is a fair chunk more than other places but I am hoping for them to do a proper job and know what they are doing.

5. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    This is a discussion we've had many times on site, and everyone feels differently about it. If you use the search function you'll find tons of threads discussing remaps on the I-CTDI.

In general, what you'll be paying for is one of several generic remaps which float around the scene. Some have caused members major issues, some have worked just fine, but in all cases the already fairly "prone to replacement" clutch and flywheel set-up will wear even faster with the increased power/torque, it's an expensive job to replace. Most of these outlets just buy maps, and flash them - the performance and reliability of the tune itself varies wildly.

If you're set on getting a remap done, I would strongly recommend a reputable outlet like Celtic Tuning who have worked on a number of members cars. There's plenty of others mentioned about the site.

The bottom line is that with increased component wear, remapping to increase fuel economy is often false economy. However, everyone has a different experience. I'd read up throughout the site and draw your own conclusions.

To me, I'd be doing a major service, cleaning out common clog points like the TB and EGR, then see where you're at with MPG if power is truly no concern.

For the record, if I owned a I-CTDI I'd 100% remap it :Whistle: But that's because I'm happy to bear the consequences either way.

This 100%, most screw up a sensor reading to fool the car - some literally add no power, others a few HP and will slowly fry the engine. Definitely no "performance chip" crap, there is the odd product which actually does the job, but unless you can read other people's real world experience, it's just not worth the gamble to me.

chris2982 and Bones126 like this.
  6. s60r Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

jas West Sussex
    I have remapped my last 5 cars.... this FR-V is our family run about and I have a few things to iron out before I think about doing it. The clutch and flywheel is an obvious issue but as my wife drives it mostly i'm sure that will be fine. I would definitely not get a plug and play chip. They raise fuelling by tricking the ECU and open a can of worms throughout.

A good remap though is very worth while. You could expect to see a 5 MPG raise easily in like for like driving.... but the temptation is to utilise the extra punch and in the short term you see little change. If you go for a remap.... celtic tuning has a good rep as mentioned. I will use simon at e-maps. I have used him twice and he is excellent. Always keeps the stock map and his files are tried and tested. Not 1 bad word to be found about him or his business. The other I have used is Angel tuning. Most offer money back 14 day guarantee if you are not completely happy. :Smile:

Keep us posted if you go for it.

7. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Angel Tuning was recommended to me by our cctv supplier. He used them for his X5.

8. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    I've considered this but have been put off reading up on it, but everyone has there own view and opinion I suppose.
    I think if you're prepared to accept the additional wear on all other parts then why not, just looking at Celtic tuning for the FR-V they offer 2 maps. 1 for economy which they claim offers +28 BHP and the Stage 1 which offers +55 BHP which is a lot.

I suppose it all comes down to what you want the car for in the end, fuel economy this day and age though is important so if the claims are true its a way forward.

I ask myself though? Why did Honda's multi million pound R & D department come up with these figures in the first place?

Very tempted though, 200bhp FR-V :dribble:

9. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    The commonly repeated reasons seem to be due to making the cars more generic for the variances in different markets, fuel grades etc. But I agree, Honda will have spent more time and money testing than any tuner will ever be able to afford. I guess you can take the standard vs TypeS Accord as an example. Why does the TypeS have some uprated parts? Must be for a reason!

Bones126 likes this.
  10. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    I agree, more power more stress on parts, I think tuning a standard FR-V up 55 BHP would put a load of stress on other parts and the clutch and gearbox particularly

Emaps are bit more refined and offer 32 BHP increase with 60nm torque which is a 19% increase in power, again quite a lot.

Engine ECU Power (BHP) Torque (NM) Power (BHP) Torque (NM)
    2.2 i-CDT-iBosch EDC16 138 340 170 400

11. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    DeviateDefiant and Bones126 like this.
  12. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    I want one :dribble:

Reply from Celtic tuning with explanation; for me I think the economy map would suit as most of the driving is done around town and in traffic, but the 193bhp is very tempting but would imagine the clutch aint gonna like it :-/

DeviateDefiant likes this.
  13. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    That's manic ! Only in America huh !

14. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I'd still do it and just deal with the clutch when the time comes :king:

15. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I'm getting tempted...

16. Nighthawk Guest

United Kingdom Richard Milton Keynes
    I have seriously been considering getting some more ponies out of my car, I have just been cautious of these numerous tuning companies

17. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Celtic Tuning is one I would trust personally mate, they have a good reputation in the club.

18. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    To be able to up the HP to almost that of my 2.4 Accord and also get more torque than my MPS had is tempting. Obviously the power bands will be different and the MPS could provide Max torque for a considerable amount of rpms but would still be good. Also thinking that just because it's available doesn't mean I'll be using it all the time, I'm quite conservative in the CR-V so would probably only use the extra power when needed and hopefully not put too much stress on the clutch.

19. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

You sound like you're trying to justify it mate, and the way I look at it is that if at any given time you can chuck £600-900 or so at a clutch/flywheel replacement if the worst did happen, then do it. If the unexpected cost could really put you out, then don't :Smile:

20. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    Lol I know! I just feel the turbo runs out of guts so fast, it's more in the higher gears that I would like a little more power.