Engine & Gearbox i-CTDi clutch life

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by nduli, Friday 8th Nov, 2013.

1. nduli Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

guys

whats the best length of life you have had out of a clutch?
    i ask as i am waiting at HH for my 07 cdti to have its second clutch fitted in my ownership. first was at 58k this one at 101k. I drive fairly sedately and most journey's are up and down the M62 so wanted to know why its only lasted 50k - any ideas?

today has been another very expensive day in my accord ownership life

2. DieselPower Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Re: clutch life

Perhaps the car has been chipped by the previous owner? Do you ride the clutch? Who fitted the previous clutch and what make of clutch was it?
    There has to be some underlying cause, 43k for a new clutch with good driving seems outrageous!

3. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    Re: clutch life

I'm not the best qualified to answer the question, but premature clutch wear is a known issue on the i-CDTI Accords. I'm sure someone else will come along and provide a technical explanation for you.

Last edited: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  4. nduli Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Clutch was honda and fitted by honda. Car has been on diagnostics enough over past 2 yrs to note if it wasn't standard. I don't ride clutch but I do use curie control a lot so my thought is either the controller is riding clutch or I am subject to the known issues. I didn't think it was that heavy And had a good old debTe with the service reception team but had to be said when I got in the car I nearly put my foot through the floor. It was clearly a lot heavier than I thought. It's certainly the last clutch I will be buying tho on this car.

- - - Updated - - -

Quick question following a new clutch. On the mway on the way back I went for fifth and missed it. It's like there is an extra notch in the gear selector in top right and bottom right next to fifth and 6th. It's not a Major issue means I can't rifle home the gear stick and need to take more time but it wasn't like this before the change so any ideas?

5. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Gear linkages may just need slight adjustment.

6. nduli Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

:Smile: thats what i was hoping someone would say - I realised today i am not going to be able to cope with it as it is. thanks for help.
    i'll get it back to the guys

7. rayhoop Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Keerat Amersham
    My first clutch lasted approx 125k miles. can't remember exactly.
    1st owner of the car was an older gent who did 43k miles in 3.5 years. The Honda service computer did not show a clutch being replaced by him.
    I've owned the car since, and the majority of my initial mileage (43 to 120k miles) was done on the motorways in minimal traffic (early mornings due to length of commute).

Since replacing the clutch I've done approx 40k miles mixed driving and its been ok

8. compo Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Colin bradford
    My 07 tourer is in in Friday for a new clutch 118k hopefully will last me as long

9. Biffo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lancashire
    I'm still on my original clutch on my diesel accord, just tripped over the 100k, I do make a point of not sitting with the clutch down at t/lights, but putting it into neutral until the lights change, I also make sure that my foot is on the footrest and not on the pedal when not changing gear

10. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    Sitting with a clutch down COMPLETELY at light does not wear it down as there is no connection between the clutch and the transmission, there is a gap and there is no contact between two surfaces.

Riding the clutch is what wears it down, quick blasts off the red light ,etc.

At least that's what I was always taught, and how I drive, and after 110k (90k on remap) my clutch is still going strong. Car's at 180k now but I have no idea if the clutch was replaced before. I guess it must have been, otherwise I think I've broken some kind of a record :Smile:

11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Holding the clutch down won't wear out the clutch plate out but will wear the release bearing.

12. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    That it will :Smile: At my mileage I am prepared anyway for when the clutch fails ... it will at some point ... right? :Whistle:

13. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    I think the key here is you use your cruise control a lot. If the cruise control switch behind the clutch pedal is not adjusted correctly it will ride the clutch and cause the clutch to slip causing premature wear. When you take the car back to get the gear linkage adjusted ask them to check/ adjust the positioning of the cruise control switch as well.

14. JAB Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I did 125,000 miles on mine from new before it let go without any warning or indication of clutch slipping etc. £1000 for a new clutch and DMS. There was plenty of wear left on the clutch plate, it was the DMS which failed with excess play between the plates.

15. Biffo Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Lancashire
    Technically you're correct, but it might just be rubbing the clutch slightly, and you've got the footbrake on so you don't feel it, your foot could tire & release just slightly allowing it to rub a little, putting it into neutral stops any chance of that.