Engine & Gearbox i-CTDi Clutch Slip On 2.2 Diesel Engines

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Ichiban, Sunday 6th Nov, 2011.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    I-CTDI diesel suffering symptoms of a slipping clutch The first port of call is the need to check the clutch pedal adjustment is correct.

Incorrect setting of the clutch pedal upper stopper bolt (or cruise control switch) can mean the pedal is partially depressed which does result in clutch slip especially when the engine is hot. On inspection if you may find there is no clearance between the master cylinder piston and pushrod. The release bearing will be held against the diaphragm spring, which in turn results in clutch slippage or other clutch problems.

See Attached Diagram (Need to be logged in to view it)

1. Loosen the clutch pedal position switch locknut (A), and back off the clutch pedal position switch (B) until it no longer touches the clutch pedal (C).

2. Loosen the clutch pushrod locknut (D), and turn the pushrod (E) in or out to get the specified height (F), stroke (G), free play (H), and disengagement height (I) at the clutch pedal.

Clutch Pedal Stroke: 130−140 mm (5.12−5.51 in.)
    Clutch Pedal Free Play: 10−18 mm (0.39−0.71 in.)

Clutch Pedal Height
    :
    RHD model: 183 mm (7.20 in.)

Clutch Pedal Disengagement Height:

RHD model: 86.5 mm (3.41 in.)

3. Tighten the clutch pushrod locknut (D).
    4. With the clutch pedal released, turn in the clutch pedal position switch (B) until it contacts the clutch pedal (C).
    5. Turn in the clutch pedal position switch (B) an additional 3/4 to 1 turn.
    6. Tighten the clutch pedal position switch locknut (A).
    7. Press the clutch pedal to the floor.
    8. Adjust the clutch pedal position switch (K), so that the switch should be ON/OFF at the clutch pedal position switch ON/OFF height (L).

Clutch Pedal Position Switch ON/OFF Height:
    RHD model: 90.5 mm (3.56 in.)

9. Tighten the clutch pedal position switch locknut (J).

As a thumb rule on stock unmodified accord the standard clutch will last anything between 30 to 60K miles when it will require a change. There are a few rare instances where the clutch has lasted a 100k barrier. This is an exception to the rule. Remapped accord tends to shred and eat their clutches at an alarming rate so please bear this in mind.

TIP

Every service if you check the clearance as described in this article you can ensure a clutch working to its best .

i-ctdiclcuthpedalandcutchpedalpostionswitch.

tc3nitro, cred and krsol like this.
  2. gedutism Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

superb explanationspeacially like that "Remapped accord tends to shred and eat their clutches at an alarming rate so please bear this in mind.":Smile:

my car did 72 k and I became suspisious about my clutch now,but after that topic I understand that my clutch will fail any time soon .
    So if my clutch slipped ones on heavy accelaration how long it last untill it finally fails:Smile:

Last edited: Thursday 19th Jan, 2012
  3. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Brilliant guide CJ.

4. wooster Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Mine's been slipping off and on for about a year.
    Hopefully the adjustment will cure it. :Smile:

5. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Great write up. I've heard it mentioned before the poor adjustment of the cruise control switch can cause slipping and premature failure of the clutch. But it's always been a 'take it to the dealer to get it adjusted' scenario as nobody knew how to adjust it. I've been wanting to take a look at mine as I can press my clutch pedal a fair way before the cruise control disengages so I know it's not set right. Think I'll need a few reads and a good look before I attempt it though to make sure I'm clear on the process.

6. tjallison87 New Member Getting Started

Excellent write up of the adjustment method!

Has anyone tried doing this adjustment? If so has it helped to reduce clutch slipping? I've just bought an accord and the clutch tends to slip a lot when accellerating at low RPM. I am probably going to try this but wondered whether it had worked for anyone?

Cheers,

Tom

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hey Tom yes this technique works 100 % no issues whatsoever. Take your time print it out and get a bright light to help you. On thing is for sure your back takes a hammering bending and kneeling down to do this adjustment.:Wink:

8. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Great guide CJ. Will take a look for mine. It's not slipped since. Still not had a chance to contact HH. Sooooooo busy at the moment and can't see any immediate changes :Frown:

9. Sbergno New Member Getting Started

Norway
    Hello. I am a Accord tourer owner from Norway. I have recently had my clutch and flywheel changed and. I feel that my clutch pedal needs adjustment. Do happen to have a description of the pedal adjustment for the LHD model?

Thanks for your help.

Stian

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Stian welcome to AOC , I will have a look for you. :Smile:

11. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Stain, following the above guide for adjustment these are specifications for a LHD car

Clutch Pedal Stroke: 130−140 mm (5.12−5.51 in.)
    Clutch Pedal Free Play: 10−18 mm (0.39−0.71 in.)

Clutch Pedal Height: LHD model: 191 mm (7.52 in.)
    Clutch Pedal Disengagement Height:LHD model: 90.5 mm (3.56 in.)

Clutch Pedal Position Switch ON/OFF Height: LHD model: 95.5 mm (3.76 in.)

12. Sbergno New Member Getting Started

Norway
    Thank you for your swift reply. Will have a look to see if I am far away from the correct settings.

Stian

Ichiban likes this.
  13. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Np Stain please do give your feedback after your adjustment.

14. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    Just my two cents re the clutch slip. Mine's remapped since June 2010. I've done around 70-75k miles since (blimey).

Last November going fully packed on the Autobahn, it had slipped for a second on 6th under heave acceleration and up hill if I remember correctly. It's been around 20k miles since that time, and I have not noticed it at all.

Isn't that weird?

15. jgilli New Member Getting Started

My previous accord diesel started to slip clutch at about 80k then stopped and didn't do it again up to 113k, had the car from 8k miles on clock Now got another with 106k on clock and has started slipping and no sign of stopping, just taking very steady with no letting it slip until I can take a morgage out to get it looked at.

16. SayamaAccord Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

106k isn't bad going for a diesel clutch, boy racers with remaps who abuse their cars get far far less than that e.g. 20 or 30k

17. jgilli New Member Getting Started

No I guess 106k is not bad but the previous one did 113k and was not slipping, will never know if it would have done more as some fool smashed me up the back end and wrote it of lol

18. bijomaru Premium Member Club Supporter

United Kingdom Rob Swindon
    Well 150k and still going. I must be one careful driver :Foolish:

19. jgilli New Member Getting Started

So was I lol, but what puzzled me was why it started to slip for a few days and then stopped?? Well I was careful enough to get hit up the rear anyway. That said I have always been mechanically sympathetic to cars, no over stress = longer life. Simple!

Ichiban likes this.
  20. theballboy New Member Getting Started

I bought my accord with 73k on the clock and it started slipping about 76k. I bought a Honda clutch and had it fitted privately by my mechanic. (although I didn't get flywheel done and mechanic said that there was some movement in it when he checked it putting the new clutch in )
    I have now just covered 100k and although its not slipping per say, I do see a very slight rev jerk upon acceleration in 5th 6th. Im wondering if thats it starting again. I have my car remapped but in no way is it for speed etc. I got 58mpg on average over last year so that might give you an indictaionas to how its driven. Although i do tend to drive at very low revs for which iv considered may be labouring in the clutch too much

Anyways its left me wondering

Is it the map - do I remove?
    Is it my driving style? - should I drive higher up the revs?

If I want to get this checked as per instructions by OP (and i have no idea or time to go about it) - does it need done by honda or just someone in the know?

Thanks everyone in advance for this (i know thread is somewhat old)

Would a