Exhaust System i-CTDi Cracked Manifold

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Doc, Friday 28th Feb, 2014.

1. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Well lets make the 1st new thread into the new 7th Generation section of HK a diesel fault shall we! :Whistle:

I started my car earlier this week from cold and left it shut and running while I was looking over it, giving it the pre MOT inspection just to make sure I didn't have a blown bulb or something, and when I got back in it I noticed a exhaust smell coming through the central air vent. Hedging my bets on the manifold I unscrewed the three bolts holding the heat shield down and noticed the bottom of the middle and right bolts had soot on them. After a quick inspection with the torch result is the welds around the cylinder 4 port are cracked. the rest of the exhaust is clean.

I went down my local Honda dealership who checked the mileage and asked me to provide the cars service history. I've serviced the car myself since it's been out of the 3 year warranty but I've used all genuine Honda parts. So they've asked me to provide all the receipts I had, which I did today along with the MOT certificate to prove the mileage. I also explained to them my service regime which is half what Honda recommends. The guy at the dealers also agreed it was a very good idea doing 6000 mile oil changes on the I-CTDI.

I should hear back next week what Honda UK will agree to, if anything. I understand that as the service work hasn't been carried out by Honda, even though I've used genuine parts, they may well just refuse the claim completely. I will be very surprised if due to that fact they agree to do all the work. As all my parts have been genuine they may agree just to supply the manifold but I'll have to wait and see. I've already asked how much the labour charge would be which will make it cost effective if they just supply the manifold.

2. Topper Harley Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Don't think they will cover it but you never know.

I got mine welded,much cheaper .

3. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Well I'm not expecting anything to be honest but if you don't ask you don't get.

I'll probably just fit the new revised one tbh. It's just as easy to swap it over than get someone to weld it. Plus it could possibly happen again down the line if it's welded, unless you get all the welds redone.

4. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

United Kingdom Leo Northants
    It would be great to see if they're willing to oblige and place the manifold out of warranty, I'm not all too brushed up on diesels - was there a revised exhaust header for the i-CDTIs?

5. Topper Harley Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Anything too get rid of the smell.

Mine was cracked for a good while and took ages after the repair for the smell to go. All good now though .

6. Topper Harley Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yup came on face lift model i think.

7. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

I believe @Doc already has a Facelift model :Smile:

8. Topper Harley Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Woooopppsss my bad :Blushing: .

9. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Mine isn't actually out of warranty it's an '08 plate so it's 6 years old tomorrow and it's only done 41k miles.

I'll look to get it done sooner rather than later as it'll just get worse. If they don't honour it I'll get it done this summer.

10. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Do you have any pics of the welded manifold @Topper Harley ?

11. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

With mine becoming 11 years old this year, I forget there's still 7th-Gens in warranty. I'd imagine you've got a good case for getting it replaced then.

12. Topper Harley Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Sorry Speedy didn't take any pictures .

13. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Good news, I've just heard back this morning Honda have agreed to replace the manifold under warranty. It's booked in for Thursday. :Happy:

DeviateDefiant and SpeedyGee like this.
  14. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Great news Doc:Happy:

15. DeviateDefiant Co-Founder Staff Team

Good to hear @Doc!

16. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Cheers guys. I'm really happy and to be honest surprised. Considering I've only used Honda parts and not Honda labour when servicing my car I fully expected Honda just to pay for parts which I would have been happy doing.

17. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Well its pretty primitive where it leaks from they double up on the welds which does last until the metal fatigue kicks and the cycle is repeated around the welds.

Happy for you DOC the car is very well looked after and low mileage and its withing the remit of the warranty extension.

i-ctdimanifoldcrack-1.

18. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Well I thought I'd complete this thread as the warranty work has now been completed. Actually, when I say complete this thread there will be a further post after I speak to Marshall Honda on Monday Morning. It's probably easiest if I split findings into a few categories.

Honda UK: Absolutely faultless. They processed my claim within a week and the work was authorised without any issues or questions.

Marshall Honda Customer Service: The guy at the service desk was very helpful. He told me to put all my receipts from original service parts together as I didn't have a stamped history then took charge of it from there. Once authorised he phoned to confirm then had the car booked in 3 days later. I got dropped off after delivering the car then picked up again after the work was completed.

Marshall Honda work completed: Unfortunately this is where it's all gone very bad. I took a look under the bonnet after I go the car back to find a couple of the hoses hadn't been pushed firmly back in place which wile functioned looked untidy. The air box inlet hose wasn't sitting correctly, it was only half way on. A quick easy fix but lack of attention to detail. Same goes for the outlet hose not pushed firmly home but it was held securely by the jubilee clip. On the turbo intake pipe the jubilee clip was not seated where it was originally and was actually clamped over the knuckle on the turbo intake pipe instead of past it. Now to the serious stuff. While I was under the bonnet I decided to remove the bolts on the heat shield and take a look at the new manifold. It's a good job I did as this is what I found.
    IMG_0509.JPG
    It's a nut on the exhaust manifold which had never been done up. To tighten this I had to remove the heat shield which involved pulling a load of pipe work out not to mention the heat shield itself is a very tight fit. If this had got left the heat would have eventually warped the manifold and caused this one to leak as well. After I eventually tightened the nut up then thought I'd feel around a few of the other nuts to make sure they were all tight. I ran my finger over one of the 3 nuts which holds the turbo to the manifold and this happened.
    IMG_0510.JPG
    This one was only finger tight as well. It's at this point I've now had to go over every nut and bolts to check they have all been done up! So far I've checked every nut and bolt from the top and tomorrow I have to get under the car and check everything from the bottom. Obviously the mechanics apprentice wasn't taking much interest in what was going on either as he would have seen the loose nuts.

It's also clear from the footage on my dash cam (which has recorded the whole manifold replacement) that none of the bolts have been torqued up, they have all been run on with an air gun. What's the point in Honda specifying torque settings if they're going to get ignored?! I don't expect to have to check the work a mechanic does on my car, especially not from a main dealer. If I do then I might as well do the job myself! I will be having words with the dealer on Monday morning, I'm not going shout and have a rant because the work was all done for free, but I am going to let them know I'm very far from happy. This is the first time I've taken my vehicle into any Marshalls dealership after not being overly impressed with their reputation in the past. It was in my eyes a test and an opportunity for them to prove themselves for any future work which may need to be done such as a clutch or DMF. Based on this it's a fail!!

19. AccordCU2 Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Very poor and shabby job.
    Look like he/they were rushed to do the job and never took time to check if everything is how it should be.

20. Topper Harley Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yikes that's shocking :Aghast: .