Engine & Gearbox i-CTDi Diesel EGR Valve Malfunction Facelift Cars

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Ichiban, Friday 18th Nov, 2011.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This is another case where the engine will show symptoms of intermittent loss of engine power and hesitation, the engine may also stall.

If you have ruled out these symptoms is fuel related then there could be a problem with your EGR valve. Honda has found both 2006 & 2007(Facelift) CN1 & CN2 show these symptoms. The root cause of this issue was traced down to carbon exhaust deposits due to use of car in low temperature, low load conditions builds up on EGR valve shaft. This causes the EGR valve to stick causing the stall condition.

To fix this issue Honda did redesign the ERG valve with a better carbon protector for the valve shaft, they also made software changes to the ECU software.

To determine accurately you need to take the car to a Honda dealer to get it hooked up to the HDS system for them to look at the readings to determine that is the main cause. Aftermarket reader can do the same but the operator will not have those key values to make the decision, so if you have to use a trusty independent don’t expect him/her to fix the car. They won’t have the updated software.

TIPS

There have been a lot of owners who have had a remap will notice this issue quite a lot, there is no way of just doing this software update without affecting your remapped file. Please consult you remap firm to develop a fix for this issue.

Last edited: Friday 18th Nov, 2011
  2. Spud Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi again IchibanAccord; I'm reading through various threads here and see items relating to the 2006 Accord 2.2iCTDi engine; will these issues, like the one above, also relate to my 2006 CR-V 2.2iCTDi engine? I also saw a post about exhaust manifold which has an extended warranty, total 7 years, which will finish for me soon; I wonder if I can go to my Honda dealer to chat about itemslike this to see if my engine needs the same fixes. Thank you.

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Spud,
    I am sure there would be a similar effect on CR-V's but what issue are you experiencing if you could start a fresh thread in the CR-V section I am sure we can tackle it.

4. Juha New Member Getting Started

France Juha Jyväskylä
    Hello

I had twitching of engine (enigine seems to die for 0,5 s-1s) when driving with steady speed in my CTD-i engine 2008. There were many good tips in Honda pages, but in my car the problem was in electrical connections on top of the engine under the black cover. I disconnected all the electrical plugs, sprayed with CRC Electro, some in and out movements with the plug heads and reconnecting the plugs.
    The engine twitching dissapered. This is so easy and cheap, so with similar kind of problem this in worth to do.