Engine & Gearbox i-CTDi Diesel Exhaust fumes entering the vehicle on Prefacelift & Facelift Modesl.

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Ichiban, Thursday 10th Nov, 2011.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Honda had issued a warranty extension for the following vehicles which includes the 7th Generation Accord Affected Honda cars are

Chassis CodeModelYear Model
    CN1Accord Saloon 7th Generation2004 to 2008
    CN2Accord Tourer 7th Generation2004 to 2008

The Symptom
    Abnormal noises from the engine compartment. You will also notice exhaust fumes
    entering the car cabin when the car is cold. You will also notice a less refined engine characteristics coupled with lower fuel efficiency.

The Cause
    Crack in the exhaust manifold caused by incorrect welding. On removal of the affected manifold you may find hairline cracks or sooty residue around the welds.

i-ctdimanifoldcrack.

The fix

Welding process changed to machine operation and weld thickness increased. This has cured majority of the manifold issue but members with tuned engine have found this modified part from Honda is designed for sustained high boost pressure.

This is a warranty extension for all non-tuned i-CTDi engines with a warranty Extension. Honda dealers are now inspecting cars more rigorously to see if they are boosted so owners beware. Which is an extended from the standard 3 year plus 4 years = Total 7 years with a mileage limit of 125,000miles / 200,00km. Modified Part number : 06180-RBD-E01

TIP When buying a high mileage second hand diesel I-CTDI car make sure you listen and smell traces of unburnt diesel in the engine compartment. Ask if the car has had this warranty extension applied. If not negotiate the price accordingly if the mileage has exceeded 125k Miles.

Last edited: Saturday 12th Nov, 2011
  2. welsh_decs Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Fumes in Cab

I am getting a strong smell of fumes in the cab of my car it worsens when I have heater on and also If I leave the cars idling on the driveway it worsens.

I have heard alot of people talking about the manifold is this one of the syptoms of a cracked manifold?

If someone can give me some advice please as I havent had much experience with Hondas

3. Dave Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Re: Fumes in Cab

It does sound like a cracked manifold, if you have the car running can you smell the fumes when you open the bonnet? What age/mileage does your car have and has it got Honda Service History?

4. welsh_decs Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

it has done 118000 and has part service history

5. Quacker Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Be very aware of the possibility of carbon monoxide poisoning as you drive. My father had it once from a leaking exhaust manifold gasket on a Subaru. He managed to drive home some eight miles from where he had been but had no recollection of where he had been, that he had been driving and no idea of what was going on generally. Any longer drive and it could have had dire consequences.

6. welsh_decs Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Re: i-CTDi Diesel Exhaust fumes entering the vehicle on Prefacelift & Facelift Modesl

I apologise if I should have searched the forum more and if it was jsut repeating other threads. My car is 05 117,000 miles. I am lost on what to do now do I need to take it to a dealer to get it fixed? How much will it cost? I am quite lost.

Quackers I just noticed you location Ceredigion where abouts I am in Aberystwyth

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Re: i-CTDi Diesel Exhaust fumes entering the vehicle on Prefacelift & Facelift Modesl

Try contacting your local dealer first see if they can look into replacing the manifold they can speak to Honda to get some sort of help, as you are still under the mileage scope albeit outside the time frame.

See if the dealer can take a sympathetic stance on it and see if Honda can do a GOGW they pay for parts and you pay for labour.

That is your best shot they can turn you down if your car hasn't had an Honda main dealer service history,there is no harm in trying.

Let us know.

8. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Same thing happened to my cousin with a Peugeot 306.
    Except I think he was hospitalised for a bit because of it.

9. Quacker Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

So you are. I'm not far from Aberaeron. I know a very competent mechanic that is very fast in his work with a comprehensive workshop outside Aberaeron who could sort your problem. He chooses his customers though and doesn't entertain people who might give him hassle. :Smile:
    As you probably know, your main dealers are either at Welshpool or Cardigan. They would probably cost a fortune. It will cost whatever it costs, if you see what I mean. Probably less that you fear.

Firstly though, if it is a diesel and the warranty covers it, your main dealer might be the place to go, but once there you will be almost committed with a vague promise of "we'll see what Honda can contribute". It might be cheaper to go to a competent independent even then, because they might repair the faulty part and their labour will be far cheaper per hour and possibly want less hours for the job. Honda are very unlikely to contribute anything meaningful considering the age and milage, given that it is outside their extended warranty parameters, in my opinion. But you never say never.

Don't overly worry about carbon monoxide, because I should have said that this is a deadly problem with petrol engines but much less of a worry with diesel exhaust gas.

Last edited: Sunday 24th Feb, 2013
  10. welsh_decs Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

the car is now with an independent garage I have pointed him in the way i think is the problem incase he hasnt done many Accords and doesnt know about the manifold problem also got him to sort the knocking from the back aswell due to having a little one on the way I have alot of work commitments I just havent got the time to get under the car or into the engine bay as I would like to.

- - - Updated - - -

and quackers if i am honest the nearest honda dealer to me is newtown J T Hughes but i havent been able to contact them

11. Quacker Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

If you are in Aberystwyth, Cardigan Honda [O C Davies] is 40 miles away from you. Not sure how far Newtown is from Aber but my first trip in the Honda was to Charlie's Store at Welshpool, which took me past JT Hughes. I always mix up Welshpool and Newtown for some reason.
    I'm sure a competent mechanic should be able to cheaply repair the manifold unless it is too corroded. Should be very easy to get at, seeing as the manifold is at the front of the engine.

12. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

The manifold is at the rear not the front.
    So you have to strip a bit to get it out.

13. Quacker Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Oh heck! They must have changed the head completely when the I-DTEC was introduced then. The turbo is between the engine and radiator on my car, which is a C-RV, not that that should make a difference.

If its like most other cars it will be a pig of a job to get at it between the head and bulkhead.

14. welsh_decs Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I have had the car at the carage they can confirm that the manifold has a big crack in it, I also had the fuel filter changed due to my car going into limp mode or dieing. I had it diagnosed and it said fuel rail pressure too low so had fuel filter changed and it is still doing it could this be due to the manifold or will it be a completely seperate issue...had enough of this car already only owned couple of months wish I kept my ford

15. Quacker Banned ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Personally I would spend as little as possible on it. Weld the manifold up and get shot of it for something in better condition that has cheaper parts.
    My own experience with older or higher mileage cars suggests that the big selling fleet cars are far and away the cheapest to run because there are plenty of cheap new genuine and alternative parts available as well as plenty of breakers for used parts.

My own policy over many years now is to buy new and run cars into the ground apart from one 'sunday best'. When I buy new and drive sympathetically and maintain it properly, I know that the equipment has the best possible chance of a reliable long life. If despite that it causes more than a couple of instances of breakdowns that are not normal [judged against the performance of other similar vehicles] then it goes down the road with no regret or hesitation. It is only a lump of steel and plastic, an inanimate object, not part of the family but a cost against the family.

16. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Completely separate issues.
    Did garage change filter with genuine honda filter. If not, that's almost definitely what's causing your low fuel pressure.
    As for the manifold, that's to be expected on the diesels.

17. welsh_decs Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

why would changing it with a non genuine honda part make any difference?

18. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds

have a read of this http://hondakarma.com/threads/115/

Last edited by a moderator: Sunday 23rd Feb, 2014
  19. syzsounds Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hi all, I have an 07 Tourer with 61,000 miles ( thats why i bought it !) no signs of manifold cracking or noise yet although its currently at a local garage having a stretched timing chain replaced :Angry:
    Will honda change the manifold anyway ? Or has it got to be blowing beforehand ?
    It has 5 honda services and 1 independant garage service if that makes a difference ..
    Cheers.

20. RobB Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

It would have to be blowing for Honda to change it under warranty.
    Are you paying for the chain to be changed?