Engine & Gearbox i-ctdi doesn't start 1st time, starts 2nd time though. Any ideas?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by dbrooks65, Saturday 11th Jan, 2014.

1. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Hi all

As per title. I wait for the glow plugs light to go out then fire it up but it doesn't always start. No probs second time. This only happens from cold starts.

If I give it a decent amount of revs as I start it sometimes helps but I didn't need to do this with my 2004 I-CTDI accord or with a previous Toyota 2.2 diesel.

Searched the forum and found info on injector calibration. Could this be a cure?

Thanks.

2. Paul Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Could it be glow plugs? Once it starts is it lumpy for a few seconds?

3. Doc Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

Matt Peterborough
    Agree with Paul, I'd look at the glow plugs first, one may be a bit faulty.

4. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Thanks guys. Yeah it probably is a bit rough but literally only for a few seconds then it's fine.

I'll get the glow plugs checked.

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    It can be number of issues not just glow plug get the car looked at first.

6. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    Update - I added a can of BG244 fuel system cleaner. Seems to have done the trick - starts first time now.

Cheap fix. :Smile:

7. FR-V Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

Pete Lincs
    Were you using supermarket fuel or branded?

8. dbrooks65 Senior Member ★ ★ ☆ ☆ ☆

Scotland Dave glasgow
    I got the car 6 weeks ago and have only used BP ultimate diesel in that time covering 2k miles.

No idea what the previous owner filled up with.

9. westcorkaccord Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

VW-Honda Ireland
    If you have a multi meter and can remove the engine cover you can pull off the cable connections to the glow plugs. Check the resistance from the center insulated connection to the body of the engine. you should see a value of around 1.0 Ohms, I have found faulty ones to be up around 120 to 250 Ohms. This should give you around 12 to 17 amps per glow plug. Remember V over R =I . After this you could have a relay burn out or a blown fuse. If you can get your hands on a DC clamp amp meter it is a great way to test the load draw of the glow plugs. Just remember the glow plug are PTC so as they heat up the resistance increases and the load current drops off. Just be careful when testing.