Engine & Gearbox i-CTDi (IMRC) Frequency Solenoid Failure

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Ichiban, Friday 18th Nov, 2011.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    This is applicable to all years of I-CTDI Accord diesels as well as FN3,FK3 & RE6 (Civic 3D, Civic 5D & CR-V I-CTDI)

This is a tricky and annoying bug with all I-CTDI engines, the tell-tale symptoms are the Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Comes on whilst driving or idling.

On reading the ECU via a reader you find the code DTC - P2004 stored, please you will find this condition intermittent adding to the frustration.

Honda have diagnosed this problem with the the frequency solenoid valve which develop an intermittent internal vacuum leak. A new revised part for both facelift and prefacelift cars has been designed to fix this issue .The manufacturing process for the frequency solenoid valve has been improved according to Honda.

Owners facing this issue are to go ahead and replace the frequency solenoid valve no attempt to repair the old valve should be made.

Part number for the affected vehicles

For all prefacelift 04-05 Accord the part number is 36190-RBD-E02
    For all facelift 06-08 Accord and Civic the part number is 36190-RSR-E01
    For diesel CR-V the part number is 36190-R06-E01

TIP

Remapped owners even after replacing this valve notice the same symptoms, please consult your firm for a solution.

2. MHL33 New Member Getting Started

Hi. I have just read your post with much interest after hours of research! I have a late 2008 model CR-V 2.2 I-CDTI (32k) with hesitation problems. Recently the local dealership has kindly replaced the EGR valve under warrranty and although there has been some improvement the hesitation is still noticeable. The HDS system apparently shows no fault codes. Is it possible that the problem may well be the Frequency Solenoid Valve? (Denso 101362-4890 FRS4)

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Get the valve out and see if the plastic stem is not damaged or the filter is clogged.Additionally search on the forum for the care points whilst working on the Diesel engine.

4. MHL33 New Member Getting Started

Will do. Thank you very much!

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
  6. rsm New Member Getting Started

Owner of a 2007 CR-V 2.2i-CDTi here with the same intermittent problem. My question is what happens if this valve is not replaced? Will there be any damage to the engine or performance issues?
    Thanks in advance for any responses.

7. rsm New Member Getting Started

Anyone with an opinion please?

8. mrjolly Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

What the hell is a frequency solenoid valve ! and whats it doing on a diesel engine!!!! another modern development no doubt to improve reliability.... lol
    no really what does it do?
    cheers Sid.

9. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    ere make it rattle less :Unknown:

10. mrjolly Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

i googled it as inlet manifold runner control, i guess its the control solenoid that controls a vacuum actuator that moves a flap in the manifold . i know from my car playing days high end petrol engines had these to improve torque characteristics of the engine.
    sound about right?

11. jayok Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Yep, correct, it control the swirl flaps just before the intake manifold. These swirl flaps help reduce emmissions. You'll get more info on these if you google swirl flaps.

And for fun, google BMW swirl (plastic) flaps and see the damage that can be done when they break and head off for a trip around the combustion chambers :Aghast:

12. ArcticFire-Account Closed Banned Getting Started

Scotland Graham Scotland
    I wonder if this would be worth me checking out also, perhaps a visual inspection of it. I've been dismissing it because of the price.

Bones126 likes this.
  13. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    Do we know what the affects of this failure are?
    The item is approx £150 for the FR-V and looks a simple enough job to do yourself, but as it is intermittent and only if I fill up with cheaper fuel (which I do my best to avoid) so not a frequent problem I'm trying to way up this myself. If it has detrimental affect on anything mechanical than I would say it's a must, if its just economy then for the amount of time it's showing the fault then I'm not sure it is.

What's peoples views and knowledge on this please?

14. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    I'm amazed that you can make a fault come and go by your choice of fuel.

There is a standard HDS test routine for the IMRC that 'instructs' it to be moved to various positions in its range and then compares the achieved position to the set target. Despite having been filled up with the cheapest fuel available (including supermarket fuel, when convenient) for the last 90k miles/7 years (now on nearly 165k miles) mine recently passed this test.

A sticking IMRC (or duff FSV/EVR actuator) won't cause you any mechanical problems, but the resulting P2004/P2006 (typically) DTC will result in the car running in 'limp mode', which can be a nuisance. You could try cleaning the FSV filter and checking if the swirl valve assembly seems free to move?

15. Bones126 Top Contributor ★ ★ ★ ★ ☆

England Dave Birmingham
    It may be purely coincidental, but it only has appeared when I have used other then Shell or PB. I'm not convinced they perform that different after I tried them all, but does seem to be the case with this car. Believe me, it's not one of those level ground for checking oil situations lol

Will try what you advise @Zebster , I've had the P2004 but have been lucky so far (that's done it) not to have had it go into limp mode. New to this Honda and diesel stuff so learning all the way.

16. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Glad to hear it... That thread was becoming an OCD nightmare!

Bones126 likes this.