Engine & Gearbox i-CTDi Injector removal?

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Badger, Wednesday 1st Jan, 2014.

1. Badger Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Derby
    Happy New Year all!

I've recently advertised that I'm in the process of replacing the Timing and Oil pump chain on my Accord.... all was going well until I came to a grinding halt with what I guess are the two most awkward steps in the job - removal of the crank pulley and the injectors! Whereas I expect Dr scaffold bar will probably help shift the pulley bolt (assuming I can jack the car high enough to get it in), my real worry are the injectors. Having read frequently about their possible breakage during removal, I'm calling on AOC expertise please...

For those that have have experience of removing the troublesome quartet, whats the preferred method of removal? I've trawled the web and found both a slide hammer technique and that using a metal frame installed on the cylinder head and an air driven extractor, both look great but very expensive! I've noticed there's a 28-30mm flat on the injector which I believe is for disassembly, would some persuasion on this help or am I destined for breakage?

Any thoughts/ comments would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance

Badger.

2. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    I've not worked on diesel engines, so will leave the injectors for someone else to comment on. Although I have heard of people, loosing the injectors and then starting the car and letting the injectors "pop out".

With the crank bolt, there are number of options :-

1) Use an OA torch to heat up the bolt (but beware not to heat to much and damage the oil seal).
    2) Air impact gun
    3) Remove the starter motor and jam a big screwdriver in the flywheel to stop the engine turning, then get a long bar to give you leverage on the crank bolt.

3. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

You may just have gave him a heart attack Speedy with that advice :Happy:

4. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

:Hey::Tea:

5. Badger Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Derby
    Thanks Speedy...

The injectors are pretty corroded and I have a feeling they're gonna be a mare to remove. Starting the car is not an option, too many bits removed!

As for the pulley bolt, I've invested in a Laser 3760 pulley holding tool which works well, just need to replace the 19mm socket that I destroyed today. Gonna try the impact gun option tomorrow...

6. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Neither jobs are easy or for the faint hearted

- - - Updated - - -

With that Laser pulley tool, you will need somehow stop the engine from turning.

7. Badger Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Derby
    Haha, just seen the heart attack comment, still stable at the moment...however that may change If I've gotta buy 4 new injectors... :Sobbing:

The holding tool fits into the 50mm hex recess in the pulley, and then wedges nicely against the wishbone to stop all engine rotation. Good bit of kit.. and will probably be for sale fairly soon!

Last edited: Wednesday 1st Jan, 2014
  8. candobill Valued Contributor ★ ★ ★ ☆ ☆

fingers crossed it all goes well :Smile:

Badger likes this.
  9. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

That's the theory yes, I haven't tried that particular one, I've tried similar on and that had a tendency to slip off.

Let me know how you get on with this one. If it works well I'd be interested in it :Thumbup:

10. Badger Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Derby
    Pulley's off! The Laser tool worked a treat. Couple of bashes with an impact driver and then a 3 foot breaker bar with a 2 foot "assistant" did the trick. Almost gave myself a hernia, mind you...

Attached a picture of it in place, a useful design feature are the two bolts allowing you to dismantle, insert then reattach.

Just got the injectors to do now...

crank pulley.

Last edited by a moderator: Thursday 2nd Jan, 2014
    SpeedyGee likes this.
  11. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

Cool. Drop me a PM when your'e done with the tool :Smile:

12. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Honda dealers have a pneumatic tool for injector removal it a massive plate attached to the engine cover and by pressure it pops all four out , it expensive and it does have a hit and miss results with seized injectors. You can purchase this special tool from Honda dealers part number 07000-6148808. This tool deals with the seized injectors better.

It looks like this

AOCUK Honda diesel imjector removal tool.

If anyone wants a step by step for injector removal using this tool let me know.

13. mrjolly Club Member ★ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

If you had asked before you started stripping, i would have suggested getting the engine as hot as you can and then do the injectors first! the heat helps things to move if they are seized in. Basically get a spanner on the big flats on the injectors and just try to rotate them back and forth a few degrees , normally with a bit of brute force and bravery they will move, then a bit of gentle prybaring upward at the same time will have them out. I've done quite a few sets in merc's which look like the same injector and never damaged one.
    may be worth applying lots of easing oil in advance.
    hth Sid.

14. Badger Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Derby
    Thanks MrJ.

Normally I'd have got the engine hot before removal, however the oil pump chain had snapped so starting was not an option.

Anyhow, plenty of WD40 and two of the injectors slid out quite easily, whereas the other two just laughed at me! Even with a spanner and calibrated pry bar they were staying put. Long story short I ended up stripping the injectors to get a removal tool in, condemning them to a service & cal. Glad they're done but could have done without the expense!

15. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Thread bump came across this clip, makes the process involved in injector removal a lot more clearer.

16. Badger Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

United Kingdom Derby
    Great id Ichiban. If only we all had one of these to hand when needing to remove the injectors...!

That reminds me, I must advertise my injector removal kit for sale...
    - - - Updated - - -
    Great vid, even...

17. Zebster Expert Advisor ★ ★ ★ ★ ★

United Kingdom .
    Removing my injectors as part of replacing the chains was actually fairly straightforward (ran the engine with the clamp bolts just slightly undone). Undoing the crank pulley bolt, on the other hand... Aghhhhhhhhhh! Despite having the correct pulley locking tool and an impact wrench I ending up jamming a breaker bar to the garage floor and using the starter motor to force the bolt undone, which isn't the safest way.

honda_saj likes this.