Electrical & Lights i-CTDi Noise from Alternator

Discussion in '7th Generation (2003-2008) [Acura TSX]' started by Ichiban, Friday 18th Nov, 2011.

1. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    All chassis code of the 7th Generation Accord CN1 & CN2 are affected with this issue. Also are the 2005,06 & 07 CR-V diesel (RD9 & RE6)

You may hear a whirring or clicking sound around the alternator area as the engine speed is increased or decreased.The root cause of this issue was traced down to how the belt was routed which caused excessive loading on the alternator pulley ,causing premature failure of the bearing which caused the noise. Honda have redesigned the serpentine belt routing to reduce the load on the alternator pulley also with the removal of the idle pulley.

See attached routing picture please note the removal of the idle pulley.

i-ctdisepbeltrouting.

TIP

When buying a second hand car check the belt routing , some owners have not come into the Honda dealers to get this issue fixed. They have just replaced the bearings which fixes the noise but won't resolve it completely.

Ensure this work is done or negotiate the work as as part of your deal.

The part numbers to fix this issue are

04301-RBD-305 The Belt
    31114-PGK-A01 Alternator bearings

Bones126 likes this.
  2. Alan_rth Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

High pitch noise from Engine bay? Possibly fanbelt??

Hello,

I noticed today that I'm getting an intermittent high pitch noise from the fanbelt area of my car. I think it's most likely to be a bearing but does anyone else have any ideas? It started after being in heavy traffic for an hour or so. It occurs when idling mainly and does seem to go away when over 1000rpm but this may just be because I can't hear it as well!

I've recorded a video of the problem here: Engine problem - YouTube

If it is the fanbelt bearing then can I just oil it or does it need replacing? If so is it a garage job or something that can easily be done at home?

Thanks in advance for any help!!

Alan

3. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Re: High pitch noise from Engine bay? Possibly fanbelt??

Hey Alan,

Thanks for uploading the video after reviewing it a few times at 0:12 second 1st Generation can see the spare rougue pulley .I think the noise is from your alternator personally but can't say 100% postivley without looking at it. Please have a look at this thread 7th Generation I-CTDi Drive Belt - Alternator Belt - Poly Belt Change

You need to remove the spare pulley and go for a shorter belt and get the techy to look at the alternator bearing, this is a known issue on the I-CTDI.

let us know how you get along.

Last edited by a moderator: Saturday 29th Mar, 2014
  4. Alan_rth Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Hello,

Thanks for the reply!

I checked in the engine and I do still have the spare pulley so it hasn't had the work done. I imagine this is the most likely cause of the problem then! My only question now is that the frequency of the problem seems to have changes since I topped up the oil the other day. No it only happens when the car is first started from cold and continues for about 2 minutes of driving and then stops and doesn't come back for the rest of my 50 mile commute.

Does this still sound like a symptom? I've done a google search but can't really find anything. I only ask as it's going to be annoying to get a Mechanic to diagnose the problem if it only makes the noise from cold!

If it is the Alternator bearing then how urgent is it to get fixed? Money's a bit tight (as always) until pay day so would be good if I could put it off until next month! Also a guide price would be great so I don't get ripped off!

Sorry for all the questions, this is the nicest most "grown-up" car I've owned so want to make sure I treat it right!

Thanks alot

Alan

5. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Alan

The additional pulley and the longer belt gave the alternator pulley undue stress and it the most likely source of sound.I personally think there is a connection with topping the engine oil with the alternator bearing sound (provided you didn't run the engine bone dry of oil).

As for the sound whilst the engine is cold is pulley down the worn bearing , once it warmed up the noise will lessen as thing expand, I would advise you get the thing sorted as soon as as it can cause damage to the alternator housing. If you can don't use the car too much until you have the funds to repair it, preventative care is better than all out failure.

6. Spud Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

I had the intermmitent noise from the engine compartment and thought it was the A/C; I left it a while, (unable to identify exactly what was causing it) and it has got worse, it would appear to be coming from the alternator, probably confirmed now that the charge/battery warning light is on. Having read your excellent piece above, was amending the belt route and taking out the pulley a Honda fix (maybe free) or just an advice? My 2006 RD9 engine still has the idle pulley.

7. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    Hi Spud your RD9 will be affected is it has the idler pulley same as the Accord. You will need belt part number as the Accord.

8. Tim Reed New Member Getting Started

Hi there,

I have an 07 I-CDTI tourer - has been good as gold for the last 9k miles ( bought it at 85k - now at 94k). However, now have a horrendous noise coming from aux belt area (funnily enough it has got worse the more I ignore it :Tongue:).

Have checked belt and (going off the picture above) I think it has the longer belt still fitted.

my questions (to start with are):

1) the car has always been Honda serviced, should the belt have been changed to a shorter one as a matter of course during a service or do you have to specifically ask for it?
    2) the noise cuts out above 1.5k revs and once it has been stopped/idling for ~30 seconds, does this sound like it could be the alternator bearing problem?

I'll be sticking it in to Honda Stockport in the new year but would be very grateful for any information before then as I like to understand these things.

Tim

9. fotonas13 Junior Member ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

must do thing for all diesels. I had bad noise when starting cold. Changed to shorter belt no more ugly sound. Best mod for $.

Used Gates belt 7PK1785 ~10 pounds.

I am planing to change bearing for tensioner and the alternator? Does anyone knows SKF (bearings) codes for these bearings?

10. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    SKF maybe:Unknown:

Koyo or NTN no problems I will look it up on the bearing comparator for you , can't promise I will find it but will try.

11. Sim New Member Getting Started

So, it appears I have this problem. There is a tick-tick noise coming from the engine bay and the belt is routed as per the incorrect routing shown above. I took it to my local mechanic who said this was most probably the source of the noise. He gave the local Honda agent a call to order the revised belt but the guy on the parts desk said he knew nothing about a new belt so my mechanic decided to leave it rather than trust him. I'll probably get in touch with Holdcroft Honda for a belt as judging by this forum they know what's what and should be able to provide the correct one.
    I mentioned to my mechanic that it might need the alternator bearings replaced but he said that you didn't replace the bearings in an alternator, you just got a reconditioned one, as after all the faff of knocking bearings in and out it was more cost effective to just replace the unit. Is that truth or BS? Could I get away with just replacing the belt?

12. SpeedyGee Administrator Staff Team

England Speedy Birmingham
    Try changing the belt first.

13. Sim New Member Getting Started

New belt fitted and the noise briefly disappeared but then returned. Looks like I'll be getting the alternator changed after Easter.

14. Ichiban Founder Staff Team

England CJ Leeds
    if the alternator is fine why change it get it stripped down and get the bearing replaced its easy as that!